• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beserker Melee Damage Reduction

Yu_Fucndie

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
USA
Beserkers take too much damage to be effective on suicidal, especially with a full party. My remedy for this issue is to give beserkers a 10% reduction in melee/physical damage recieved per level gained. This is realistic because as you become a more skilled beserker/fighter/warrior/ninja, you learn how to block, deflect, and dodge melee/physical attacks. Even if hit, you know how to deflect a portion of the damage.

Also, I believe there should be a chance to completely dodge attacks. Maybe 5% per level gained would be fair. As it is now, beserkers can not take on fleshpounders on suicidal with a full party. One or two smacks and you are dead. This pretty much makes the beserker useless to the party at that point. Please feel free to add your opinions. Thanks.:)

Last edited:
That 'dodge' thing would just look silly. Imagine a fleshpound smashing his grinder right in your face but you take no damage because loldodged.
Might as well shout 'lightning bolt' at said fleshpound and see it collapse.
That is a thing that should stay in rpgs and dodging should be just that, actual dodging based on skill, not on dice throws.

Considering the other thing, 60% damage reduction? That would be twice of what's there now!
Actually as a berserker you should focus on, well, not getting hit at all by timing your attacks and by being aware of the situation and not rely on a thick defense alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That 'dodge' thing would just look silly. Imagine a fleshpound smashing his grinder right in your face but you take no damage because loldodged.
Might as well shout 'lightning bolt' at said fleshpound and see it collapse.
That is a thing that should stay in rpgs and dodging should be just that, actual dodging based on skill, not on dice throws.

Considering the other thing, 60% damage reduction? That would be twice of what's there now!
Actually as a berserker you should focus on, well, not getting hit at all by timing your attacks and by being aware of the situation and not rely on a thick defense alone.

Might sound silly to you but as of right now there is no dodging a fleshpounders attack period. And of course you time your attacks and pay attention to the situation but even when you do, fleshpounders are going to hit you. And on suicidal with a full party, you will die quickly. You should be the one that can stand up to fleshpounders. This would make beserker more of an asset to the group. As of now there really is no benefit to having a beserker in the group that I see.

Upvote 0
a chance to completely dodge attacks

Dumb.
Reminds me of Morrowind, where sticking a dagger directly into a guy's chest can be a miss. Sure, the specimens are the enemy, and not exactly capable being annoyed to the point of quitting the game [like I did with morrowind], but the concept is entirely unrealistic and silly.

A little more damage resistance would be a reasonable addition to berserker though. Maybe %10 or %5 more at maximum than the current 25% maximum. This would cover you some more for the dangerous circumstances of you job, but not defend you enough to let you carelessly rush in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dumb.
Reminds me of Morrowind, where sticking a dagger directly into a guy's chest can be a miss. Sure, the specimens are the enemy, and not exactly capable being annoyed to the point of quitting the game [like I did with morrowind], but the concept is entirely unrealistic and silly.

A little more damage resistance would be a reasonable addition to berserker though. Maybe %10 or %5 more at maximum than the current 25% maximum. This would cover you some more for the dangerous circumstances of you job, but not defend you enough to let you carelessly rush in.
Again, another kid with an online ego problem. Gotta say "dumb" rather than "I don't agree" and then explain why. People have no respect these days and think being rude online makes them superior. Get a life kid.

As for the actual discussion, I agree that the dodge idea may be a little out of place. Maybe a block with a right mouse click would be better. After one block you would have to reclick it. This way you might survive a fleshpounder attack on suicidal and it would actually take you clicking and holding the button so it wouldn't be automatic. Plus it is realistic that if you tried to block the attack you would sustain less damage. Maybe give a additional reduction to damage taken of 25% and leave the overall damage reduction as is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Zerkers should kite things.
/thread

/lightning bolt lulz.
You can't kite and kill. You have to get your nose dirty as a beserker. The idea of a beserker is to be good at physical battling. Not running away from a fight. Sure, you need to know when to run back and heal but you don't get that chance if you take on a fleshpounder on suicidal cause one or two hits and you're dead.

Again, there needs to be a way to make it so a beserker can take on a fleshpounder on suicidal. There needs to be some type of damage reduction whether it is through having a melee block or giving an increased reduction to melee/physical damage taken by a beserker. If you all have a better suggestion, let's hear it.

Upvote 0
You can't kite and kill. You have to get your nose dirty as a beserker. The idea of a beserker is to be good at physical battling. Not running away from a fight. Sure, you need to know when to run back and heal but you don't get that chance if you take on a fleshpounder on suicidal cause one or two hits and you're dead.

Again, there needs to be a way to make it so a beserker can take on a fleshpounder on suicidal. There needs to be some type of damage reduction whether it is through having a melee block or giving an increased reduction to melee/physical damage taken by a beserker. If you all have a better suggestion, let's hear it.

My suggestion: Zerker sucks now...play another perk. Commando, support, and sharpie do twice the damage in half the time with less chance of getting hit. It's simply stupid to play as a zerker now with the latest weapons. By the time the zerker gets to the enemy its already dead due to your more powerful long range teammates killing it. Even without the latest zerker nerf that class would STILL be obsolete.

In all seriousness, here is my suggestion. An old game "blade of darkness" had a block function either with your shield or your sword depending on the character you chose (knight/barbarian). I think giving the zerker a block function with his sword would work; however, the sword should have hit points like the shield/swords on blade of darkness. If you block to much it broke...that simple. That way the zerker could have some defense but it wouldn't be endless. Once your sword broke your screwed. But since swords are dirt cheap you could just spam buy them and have an endless supply....I don't know how you could fix that. But giving the swords hit points is a good idea i think so you could get some defense because the zerker sucks now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My suggestion: Zerker sucks now...play another perk. Commando, support, and sharpie do twice the damage in half the time with less chance of getting hit. It's simply stupid to play as a zerker now with the latest weapons. By the time the zerker gets to the enemy its already dead due to your more powerful long range teammates killing it. Even without the latest zerker nerf that class would STILL be obsolete.

It's sadly true. I wonder if the Tripwire guys realize exactly what they did to us Zerkers? We're left behind...THEN nerfed...

Upvote 0

In all seriousness, here is my suggestion. An old game "blade of darkness" had a block function either with your shield or your sword depending on the character you chose (knight/barbarian). I think giving the zerker a block function with his sword would work; however, the sword should have hit points like the shield/swords on blade of darkness. If you block to much it broke...that simple. That way the zerker could have some defense but it wouldn't be endless. Once your sword broke your screwed. But since swords are dirt cheap you could just spam buy them and have an endless supply....I don't know how you could fix that. But giving the swords hit points is a good idea i think so you could get some defense because the zerker sucks now.
I like the idea of the melee weapon taking damage from blocking. Maybe make it so the damage you would have taken is given to the weapon you are blocking with. It could also add more functionality to other melee weapons in that some could take more damage than others before breaking or absorb more damage. Obviously a sword will absorb more damage than a knife. It would also give you a reason to buy other weapons. This could be worked with and made into a viable solution. Keep on with the good ideas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the idea of the melee weapon taking damage from blocking. Maybe make it so the damage you would have taken is given to the weapon you are blocking with. It could also add more functionality to other melee weapons in that some could take more damage than others before breaking or absorb more damage. Obviously a sword will absorb more damage than a knife. It would also give you a reason to buy other weapons. This could be worked with and made into a viable solution. Keep on with the good ideas.

But how do you get around the fact that a high level zerker can buy multiple swords for cheap, thus increasing the amount of defense he has and extending his life. Also consider that katanas are light(3blocks) so your buddies could carry them for you if your group is forced away from outside the trader.

Upvote 0
But how do you get around the fact that a high level zerker can buy multiple swords for cheap, thus increasing the amount of defense he has and extending his life. Also consider that katanas are light(3blocks) so your buddies could carry them for you if your group is forced away from outside the trader.
That is something the devs will have to work at balancing. And how many blocks you have will depend on how much damage the weapon has taken. If you block clots it won't be absorbing as much damage as a FP attack obviously. I think it should absorb the damage equivalent to one FP attack with a full party on suicidal before breaking. It won't absorb all the damage of course. Maybe make it only about 25% of a melee attack giving you four blocks against a FP on suicidal before it breaks. Then it would take skill to know when to block and when to attack. I think this added element would add another dimension to beserker that would be interesting and is needed to make it a viable option on suicidal. Also, other weapons need ammo every round. This would make you need to spend dosh to repair it or have it replaced. Just like armor now. This could be worked out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0