• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Berezina Night

I really enjoy this map... the server sure was full last night... I ended a 2 round match with something like 212 points, then another 2 rounder with 130-something.

German Squad Leader FTW! :cool:

As this is a team game REZ and this whole post is about a great map and working as a team, no-one will be the slightest bit interested in your scores apart from you.

Andy

Upvote 0
This sounds like an interesting idea. Thanks for setting it up; I'd love to be a part of it.

I want to say I've played the map maybe ... in six or so different sessions.

Not once have I ever been able to play as a German, because the Allied team is always under-balanced. It'd be nice to see people take the map more seriously -- and maybe even give me a chance at a pziii. =)

Upvote 0
If this thing ever gets off the ground please, please count me in. Berezina is my favorite map in RO and when it's played with folks that actually know how it is supposed to be played it is an awesome experience. Unfortunately, this is all to rare on public servers anyway. So if you can get a game going' with folks that know how to play Berezina I would really like to be part of it.

Upvote 0
There is a lovely little server brought to us by FKMod that is dedicated to Berezina but unfortunately nobody is ever on it.

Now I love me some Berezina but so many games are ruined by noobs running out in the open against the Germans, wasting tanks, and not listening when asked to retreat. I've had some awesome games as a ruskie but with the lack of teamplay, usually it is very hard to win.

The server is FK's #6 Berezina 24/7! - FKMod.com, IP - 63.215.74.95:7757. Would anyone like to get together one night a week to play a couple games on the server ? If you would like to play the map like Slyk intended and use Strategy and good tactics please sign up.

Not to be offensive or anything, but honestly, you can work by yourself on either team and accomplish great things or entire objectives yourself if you're smart about it, especially on Berezina. Although it is about ten times harder then coordinating with two or three other players.

I see a lot of people complaining (not necessarily in a bad way) about how the game is totally unenjoyable when people don't listen to THEM. People have brains for themselves and they don't need constant supervision from somebody who merely thinks they know what's best for the team.

I'm not directing this towards any specific player but I see it a lot.

Upvote 0
Evilhobo: I will definetly give Iron Crescendo a shot if there are any open positions. I skimmed over it originally thinking it was another clan tournament thing.

Mrbooksay: It's not like a clueless player will be in charge dispensing "no poop sherlock" advice, yes it happens alot in pub servers and that's partly why I wanted to set this up. It's not just a good leader but having the infantry calling out targets for the tanks while they also watch any flanking enemy movements. A russian team that communicates with good tank crews can be absolutely devestating on the 1st line, the 2nd and east bank.

Against a good team the best rambos in RO don't stand a chance on Berezina.

Upvote 0
uh...so what is it? never even heard of this map, or seen it on any servers >< It just occured to me I do filter out the usual suspects (bots/empty/full) so maybe that has something to do with it, but what's so special about this map? What do you folks mean by 'the way it's meant to be played', because it's rare enough to find a map of Konigsplatz played 'the way it's meant to be played ':p

Upvote 0
uh...so what is it? never even heard of this map, or seen it on any servers >< It just occured to me I do filter out the usual suspects (bots/empty/full) so maybe that has something to do with it, but what's so special about this map? What do you folks mean by 'the way it's meant to be played', because it's rare enough to find a map of Konigsplatz played 'the way it's meant to be played ':p
if you havent played this map yet, youre missing out big time. its awesome. its not worth it to explain it, you have to play it.
go to the mapping section and check some of the pictures.

Upvote 0
High Score Sign of Good Team Player

High Score Sign of Good Team Player

I really enjoy this map... the server sure was full last night... I ended a 2 round match with something like 212 points, then another 2 rounder with 130-something.

German Squad Leader FTW! :cool:

Interesting you talk points. The other day I was playing and mid way in game started sharing tankwith this one guy. A couple times and he began to start *****ing over the net about my "wasting tanks." You see, I try to use the german tanks to support the Infantry taking the second line. Even though it is risky, I move up on the hill on enemy's left flank and start spraying MG fire and firing HE into the trench. In doing this, I can keep the Russian Infantry ineffective for many minutes. I am try to surpress them to let German infantry get in and do their work. While close, this location is best because it looks directly down into the trenches. Best bet to do this is with friendly infantry providing close in protection against enemy satchel charges, but not always easy to coordinate and get this help. At any rate, when this guy started calling me all kinds of things, I looked him up and noticed he only had 20 points mid way in the game while I was at around 120 by 2nd line and was top score. I had only carried over 20 points from end of previous match. I only pointed out my score because this guy was suggesting over the team net that I did not know ****. Well, when I mentioned my score, then all other players started jumping in and telling me this is a team game and it is not about my score. Well the fact is you do not get a high score in this game by individual kills. You get it by playing as a team member to capture objectives. My points were high because i was in on capturing outpost, then crossroads, then 1st line, then bridge, and then farm. So I just left the match after getting lectured by the rest of the team who sided with this 20 point mid game wonder.

Bottom line, in other FPS like CoD, your score is usually based on your own individual work. In this game it is based on team work. So I am not ashamed if I have a high score, I worked with the team to get it. Glad to see you feel the same.

Upvote 0
We all know there is a difference in scoring in regards to offense and defense. There is a big difference in 'going for kills' from a defensive standpoint as opposed to an offensive point of view. Defensively you need to go for kills, because obviously there are enemy soldiers trying to occupy your space, but my opinion is.. you do that from within the capzone, or very near to it (so you can collapse back into it if need be). Those guys who run way out of the capzone and into danger (acting in an offensive manner) because they cant go a few minutes without a kill are a detriment to the defensive team, imo. These guys are 'going for kills' and trying to score high, but at the same time are leaving the rest of their team, and capzones vulnerable... guys who score high while playing that way, to me, arent good players no matter how good of a shot they are.

High scores from an offensive point of view are most definately an indication of how much you are helping your team. The point of the game is to win maps. As the offensive team you do that by occupying land (capzones). The guys who are always in the capzones capping will almost always have the higher scores, as opposed to the guys just running around trying to kill people. Personally I'm not about the scores, I'm about winning maps. When I play, I'm totally focused on capzones whether I'm on offense or defense. If I could win a map without killing a single enemy, I would do that (impossible, I know). In fact while on offense and in a capzone capping, I prefer to find an advantageous spot and hide rather than bring attention to myself and shoot at somebody... therefore giving away my position, and the fact that we are capping.

(In regards to capping... if you are actively capping, the best thing to do is take cover and continue to cap... dont look for a fight and potentially get yourself killed, breaking your cap. I see this all the time and wonder when people will stop doing that. If you are capping and hidden well, it forces them to come out into the open and dig you out, which gives you the advantage.)

I always crack up when I'm in a capzone, capping, and I see a defensive player run right through the capzone, right on past me and out of the capzone looking for kills. These guys dont understand the point of the game I feel, and to me, letting them run along on their hunt is a smarter move than making an easy kill on them. Obviously they arent paying attention to their map, not to mention once you kill a guy he 9 times out of 10 knows where you are now and will come back to try and kill you... thwarting your cap attempt.

I like Berezina because its huge, and it offers alot of micro-environments to fight in and move around. I also really enjoy combined arms maps. With a map so large and so many capzones, its easy to score in the hundreds if you are on offense and are doing what you are supposed to be doing, capping. The two high scores I posted came from being involved in every cap and also being in charge of the arty. Once I feel that the Russian tanks have gotten comfortable and dug in... I do a little rain dance and cause an avalanche. I cant stress how important smart usage of the arty is in being successful on this map, for both offense and defense.

From a defensive standpoint (and this goes for pretty much every map) its important to scrape off as much time from the clock as you can at every capzone while minimizing hits to your reinforcements. Some maps you do that by letting the enemy into the capzone and dispatching them from within because of superior positioning, other maps you do it from long range. Berezina has a combination of both.

On offense in Berezina, well, in addition to smart arty usage its basically BLITZKRIEG!!!!! that works well for me. Keep 'em on their heels and dont let them setup a solid defense.

Lets get a game going! :cool:

Upvote 0
We all know there is a difference in scoring in regards to offense and defense. There is a big difference in 'going for kills' from a defensive standpoint as opposed to an offensive point of view. Defensively you need to go for kills, because obviously there are enemy soldiers trying to occupy your space, but my opinion is.. you do that from within the capzone, or very near to it (so you can collapse back into it if need be). Those guys who run way out of the capzone and into danger (acting in an offensive manner) because they cant go a few minutes without a kill are a detriment to the defensive team, imo. These guys are 'going for kills' and trying to score high, but at the same time are leaving the rest of their team, and capzones vulnerable... guys who score high while playing that way, to me, arent good players no matter how good of a shot they are.

High scores from an offensive point of view are most definately an indication of how much you are helping your team. The point of the game is to win maps. As the offensive team you do that by occupying land (capzones). The guys who are always in the capzones capping will almost always have the higher scores, as opposed to the guys just running around trying to kill people. Personally I'm not about the scores, I'm about winning maps. When I play, I'm totally focused on capzones whether I'm on offense or defense. If I could win a map without killing a single enemy, I would do that (impossible, I know). In fact while on offense and in a capzone capping, I prefer to find an advantageous spot and hide rather than bring attention to myself and shoot at somebody... therefore giving away my position, and the fact that we are capping.

(In regards to capping... if you are actively capping, the best thing to do is take cover and continue to cap... dont look for a fight and potentially get yourself killed, breaking your cap. I see this all the time and wonder when people will stop doing that. If you are capping and hidden well, it forces them to come out into the open and dig you out, which gives you the advantage.)

I always crack up when I'm in a capzone, capping, and I see a defensive player run right through the capzone, right on past me and out of the capzone looking for kills. These guys dont understand the point of the game I feel, and to me, letting them run along on their hunt is a smarter move than making an easy kill on them. Obviously they arent paying attention to their map, not to mention once you kill a guy he 9 times out of 10 knows where you are now and will come back to try and kill you... thwarting your cap attempt.

I like Berezina because its huge, and it offers alot of micro-environments to fight in and move around. I also really enjoy combined arms maps. With a map so large and so many capzones, its easy to score in the hundreds if you are on offense and are doing what you are supposed to be doing, capping. The two high scores I posted came from being involved in every cap and also being in charge of the arty. Once I feel that the Russian tanks have gotten comfortable and dug in... I do a little rain dance and cause an avalanche. I cant stress how important smart usage of the arty is in being successful on this map, for both offense and defense.

From a defensive standpoint (and this goes for pretty much every map) its important to scrape off as much time from the clock as you can at every capzone while minimizing hits to your reinforcements. Some maps you do that by letting the enemy into the capzone and dispatching them from within because of superior positioning, other maps you do it from long range. Berezina has a combination of both.

On offense in Berezina, well, in addition to smart arty usage its basically BLITZKRIEG!!!!! that works well for me. Keep 'em on their heels and dont let them setup a solid defense.

Lets get a game going! :cool:

This is the most comprehensive outline of the best strategy and the worst downfall yet for this map.
Key to both sides is the capzones. Either get in them or keep the enemy out from inside or near it. Too many just run by without checking the map constantly to see what might be flashing a potential cap or looking to see the smaller red/black bars under the cap bar that indicates enemy is within cap zone. Nothing more frustrating that being the Russians at the 1st Line, 2nd Line or the East Bank and see it start to cap, yet half the team still runs forward to fight and not help clear the cap. It only takes them a few seconds when they get a few guys in.
Lots of times the team is working well, but way too often the Russians suffer from the individual players with the "I"m just playing, let the rest of them take care of the cap zone" thinking type mentality, or just plain dont listen to where the enemy is being observed and pointed out with VOIP. I know some people don't have mic's but GET ONE! It is damn near impossible to read the Russian red writing sometimes and is a waste of time to not only read it but type it. Voice on Mic is crucial.

Upvote 0
Well, when I mentioned my score, then all other players started jumping in and telling me this is a team game and it is not about my score. Well the fact is you do not get a high score in this game by individual kills. You get it by playing as a team member to capture objectives. My points were high because i was in on capturing outpost, then crossroads, then 1st line, then bridge, and then farm. So I just left the match after getting lectured by the rest of the team who sided with this 20 point mid game wonder.

The "crunchies" probably didn't realise which tank you were in and which one this idiot was in. :p

I know the tactics you were using and use them myself, although I tend to end up on the right of trenchs. The HE is only really effective if you're firing down into the trench, or the thing as a roof to explode the shell against. Although I have found you can explode a shell in the branch of a tree over a trench.

I've wanted to try it with two tanks. One killing the "crunchies" in the trench, and the other watching the first one's back.

On the offical CA maps, I like driving the SU-76 and shooting up the "crunchies". I measure my contribution in 2 ways, the score / kills and the number of times they call arty down just on me. :D If they are using it to take out 1 assault gun, then I must be causing them problems.

I'd like your option on which is better for trench clearing, the PzIII or PzIV. The PzIV should have the better HE shell, IF it's modelled. If it isn't modelled, then the PzIII with the higher rate of fire has an advantage.

Upvote 0