• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Battlefield Players Look @ RO2

A lot of guys from my clan are really unhappy with Battlefield 3 and I am considering switching our clan to an RO2 clan.

What does a Battlefield 2 player have to look forward to in Red Orchestra 2?

Battlefield 3 is not a true sequel to Battlefield 2. There is no commander mode, small squads of four, limited to 4 characters in clan tags so it's tough to put clan ranks in there, minimap is neon pastel garbage, helicopters and jets have limited movement, forced to use a web browser to browse servers with this "Battlelog" garbage, the medic/corpsman is called "Assault"...and the list goes on. DICE/EA has really let down their PC fans.
I typically build massive clans of 300+ members for the games I enjoy, so I'm also wondering if there's a good player base here and new players coming in daily or does the game have more of a small niche ArmA style fanbase?

Thank you.

A lot of guys from my clan are really unhappy with Battlefield 3 and I am considering switching our clan to an RO2 clan.

Battlefield 3 is not a true sequel to Battlefield 2. There is no commander mode, small squads of four, limited to 4 characters in clan tags so it's tough to put clan ranks in there, minimap is neon pastel garbage, helicopters and jets have limited movement, forced to use a web browser to browse servers with this "Battlelog" garbage, the medic/corpsman is called "Assault"...and the list goes on. DICE/EA has really let down their PC fans.
I typically build massive clans of 300+ members for the games I enjoy, so I'm also wondering if there's a good player base here and new players coming in daily or does the game have more of a small niche ArmA style fanbase?

Thank you.

Depends what you're looking for.

Gameplay wise i think you'll be okay. RO2 plays a bit like BF3 with a little bit of realism sprinkled on for flavor. Thats just what i found as i play BF3 and RO2 the same way and do just fine.

The playbase has currently been going down, mods and patches might bring it back up.

Wait a few months, and then check back to see how the population is as well the bug fixes.

my $0.02

Upvote 0
As someone that enjoyed BFBC2, RO1 & 2. I consider BF3 really to be BFBC2+.

I would say check out RO ladder and the tourney Iron Crescendo. Competitive play will get going, patches are improving the game.
The SDK is being updated and im sure competitive plugin's will be shortly coming. Just make sure you like it, this game is not very close to the BF series and not all of your clan will enjoy. Good luck with them.

Upvote 0
Um I used to play Battlefield 2, more on Project reality side.

Game is centered "towards" realism. It's a game that you should and need team work to obtain goals in the maps, but not doomed if not.

There are Mixed game play with vehicles and Infantry, but as of now theres only 2 tanks, 1 per side. The t34 and PvIV.

So its not going to have tons of Veh's at first. But I asure you, it will over time have more veh's. (NEVER PLANES THOUGH) Esp with stuff made by the community.

The community is pretty mature for the most part. Although with it being new and all, have had a good case of dick holes scattered around on servers. But I'm sure they will either grow up or leave.

Either way, hope you come to RO2. Very fun game, one thing though. Its addicting!! So hope you have some will power cause it will consume you! lol really my girlfriend hates me now.

Upvote 0

Thank you.

TWI's games tend to attract a relatively niche fanbase, unfortunately. It's more accessible than ARMA, and certainly a lot faster paced and more fun, but it's more difficult than most shooters on the market (I don't play a whole lot of shooters, as I'm sick to death of the "brown is real, blood on face, twitchy twitch" shooters). I think they strike a good balance, and the playerbase is a lot bigger and healthier than most of the other games that TWI has released. There are a lot of doomsayers on the forums right now, but that's just the internet for you.

Now, from what I gather, BF is really good for squad play. RO takes that up a notch. You really need a good team in order to get the most out of RO games. The game shines so brightly in well coordinated 32v32 matches that it's likely to ruin your eyesight. Once the community puts out some bigger maps (a lot of cramped, frantic combat right now without a lot of room for RO2's key selling points to shine), there is going to be a mind-blowing level of army v army combat.

Basically, you'd be picking it up on potential right now. TWI and it's fanbase have a historical track record for making the most of this potential, but it takes time. The core gameplay is rock solid, and once the game and the playerbase matures a bit, you won't be able to find a better big-battle experience anywhere in the gamer-verse.

Reactions: iTzDusty and Vyllis
Upvote 0
BF2 and BC2 fan here.

To me, RO2 is closer to BF2 than BF3 is. It's got the same tactical complexity in how the map plays out, it's got the scope, the specialization and you really feel the effort of a good team playing together, working like a machine.

On the downside, the game has several technical problems remaining and its numbers are in competition with BF3 atm. The staunchest part of RO2's fanbase has a lot of problems with it that will probably never be solved to their satisfaction, so its player base is in transition.

Personally, I think it's a better blend of fun realism and arcade than most games claiming to be doing that. It's not a simulation, it's a game, with a hell of a lot of features and a fairly long-term future ahead of it.

Whether or not your clan likes it is going to come down to what kind of game they want to play though.

Upvote 0
Why will there never be planes?

RO2 focuses heavily on ground tactics. Fire and maneuver, combined arms, that kind of thing. The dev team tried adding aircraft, and it just didn't suit the style of gameplay they were after. They decided to focus all their attention on the infantry and tank mechanics, so they could polish it to a mirror shine.

Trust me, you won't miss them, even on the bigger maps. Crossing the map with 10-15 of your buddies, having an enemy position open up, and watching all your guys take cover and start returning fire is an experience unlike anything else in online FPS gaming I've experienced.

Upvote 0
TWI's games tend to attract a relatively niche fanbase, unfortunately. It's more accessible than ARMA, and certainly a lot faster paced and more fun, but it's more difficult than most shooters on the market (I don't play a whole lot of shooters, as I'm sick to death of the "brown is real, blood on face, twitchy twitch" shooters). I think they strike a good balance, and the playerbase is a lot bigger and healthier than most of the other games that TWI has released. There are a lot of doomsayers on the forums right now, but that's just the internet for you.

Now, from what I gather, BF is really good for squad play. RO takes that up a notch. You really need a good team in order to get the most out of RO games. The game shines so brightly in well coordinated 32v32 matches that it's likely to ruin your eyesight. Once the community puts out some bigger maps (a lot of cramped, frantic combat right now without a lot of room for RO2's key selling points to shine), there is going to be a mind-blowing level of army v army combat.

Basically, you'd be picking it up on potential right now. TWI and it's fanbase have a historical track record for making the most of this potential, but it takes time. The core gameplay is rock solid, and once the game and the playerbase matures a bit, you won't be able to find a better big-battle experience anywhere in the gamer-verse.

Have you considered a marketing/advertising job with TWI?

Upvote 0
Have you considered a marketing/advertising job with TWI?

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

I didn't get all those posts in the last month by standing on my head. :p

What can I say, I love the little indie companies, and it gives me a good change to practice my debating skills and keep my mind sharp against the legions of rage that sweep across this forum every couple of days.

Besides, if I worked at TWI it wouldn't be with marketing. Not my field. I may go up for level design, but that would mean moving back to Georgia, not something I'm keen on.

Nah, I'm hoping for a design job at Bethesda Softworks, or Bioware/Mythic here in Fairfax. Gotta finish dat schooling first. ;)

Upvote 0
I won't go in detail of what others have said before. But I'm gonna add that the squad system in this one is pretty good, if thats what you are looking for, and this game just offers lots of tactical options.

You probably heard that the release of this game was very rough and buggy, that is true, but I'd say the game is about 80% fixed now, and the devs are still working to improve things, as well as future free DLCs, which are always a good thing.

I recommend you to try it and judge it for yourself, and if it fits your clan needs, then go for it.

Reactions: Vyllis
Upvote 0
I just happened across this article from PC Gamer.

I know it's only been a week since my initial post, but I'm eager to know if there's been a significant change in server populations and gameplay improvement.

I'd really honestly rather promote RO2 than lead with BF3. Even if we do play BF3, I will never ever support the Battlefield 3 franchise again. They have done nothing but lie to their PC fans.

So what's the word guys? Any good news that will help me decide whether or not I should move my clan over to RO2?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BF3 has really screwed up this time...which I'm not buying into it...
RO2 i think has a much smaller map comparing to BF, and squad play is kinda crappy to my opinion...All you do is either camp the other side to death, or everyone rush to the cap point and hoping not to get shot..

So you are trashing both games? Does this mean you don't recommend supporting either, or what?

Upvote 0
The bugs are getting fixed and there are some fantastic mods rolling out in the next few months. If for nothing else, RO2's sheer modability ensures that any problems you might have with the map size and squad play will be fixed in the relatively near future, something I guarantee won't happen with BF3 (considering you -can't- mod BF3).

RO2 will have better longevity and the number of players will stabilize/increase as more and more of the annoying little bugs get squashed, plus a lot of people will flood in when the big mods are released and the Steam sales roll around.

And considering RO2 is cheaper than BF3, I'd say RO2 has the clear upper hand.

Reactions: Vyllis
Upvote 0
If it helps Im a big fan of the PC battlefield games.(not BC games)

That said I played BF3 beta and was overwhelmed by its beauty...

AT FIRST....

BUT...

I prefer RO2 over BF3 because you will never see someone bunny hopping.
(I havent seen this idiocy in years but BF3 is full of it) :rolleyes:

and

You will never shoot someone and have them turn around and kill you. Guns are deadly as intended.

BF3's only hope is that "Hardcore" mode will remove my above complaints about it.

Upvote 0