• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Awoken by machinegun fire..

Grobut

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2006
Denmark
Military practices seems to have started its season, i just woke up by the sound of an MG-3 shattering the tranquillity of night.

Man, even when you know its nothing, the sound of war is unnerving, thouse seconds your half awake and half asleep, you wonder what the hell is going on.. untill you wake up a bit more and remember you live 15 kilometers from a military traing site that opens for buisness at winter.

Like when they do routine tests of the air-raid sirens, you cant help feel ****ed untill you remember its siren-test day :eek:

I remember my days of being in Boy Scouts and we'd often visit military bases. It rocked, because we'd get deals on discounted gas, cheap food (imagine eating a full, delicious breakfast for 45 cents!), and all sorts of crazy stuff. God bless the US military! :D

(This was like 10 years ago btw. I'm only 23)

Oh, and another thing! Paris Island is the major Marine Corp base on the east coast of the US, and man, those Marines are hard-freaking-core. I woke up once to a platoon of them screaming at the top of their lungs just outside our barracks at 4am in the morning. When my Boy Scout troop entered in the gates, the guards didn't even laugh after my troop leader cracked a joke. They were like stones. Man, those guys don't screw around, lol.

Upvote 0
It has its moments, but i hate waking up to it, thouse couple of seconds where you are still half asleep and dont know what the hell is going on, its rather unnerving ;)

If it was a regular thing, you'd know what to expect, but since its only used a few times a year, it can take you by suprice.

Its usually artillery and HMG's in the summer, its in the dunes of a local beach here, so they concentrate their practices to avoid clousing the beach to the public for too long.

In winter they use it a bit more for live-fire practices and stuff.

I've found lots of stuff in thouse dunes, including 30mm projectiles.. i have no idea what fired thouse, im thinking anti-aircraft perhabs, and lots of .50 BMG projectiles and casings, even found a live 7.62x51mm one time, and an empty H&K G3 mag.

A guy i went to school with was lucky enough to find the slide of a Sig P210 once (thats our military sidearm), i bet someone got in a lot of trouble for loosing that :D

Upvote 0
In bootcamp they used to wake us up many times with gunfire
you sleep in your tent in the freezing cold, after a day of action and suddendly! explosions, gunfire, alarms, screaming and sargeants yelling "WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!! EVERYONE OUT!!"
Ofcourse it was just a drill.
I love the smell of naplam in the morning.

they woke me up with throwing a flashbang right next my tent once.
i can still remember the grin on my old sergeant's face when he stuck his head inside our tent and found us lying on the floor. ( i had guard duty just 30/45 minutes before so me and my mate decided to not get back to bed and be ready for the inevatable loud and fast wake-up... we were half asleep, then that monster went off and we dropped to the ground from the chairs we were sitting in. )
And they threw one right in front of my during a march once... allthough i knew the sergeant was screaming stuff i could not hear anything but a loud bell ringing and my vision was completely white, like i was walking in some big nasty blizzard. had to grab the guy in front of me by his shoulders to find my path, since we werent allowed to stop.

good times.

Upvote 0
In Volgograd about 3 nights after the bombing of the Moscow apartment blocks I got a knock on my door at about 2 in the morning.

Got up, went to the spyhole and saw at least 2 balaclava'ed OMON men (internal security troops) with AK-74's. I thought, "damn I'd better open up, they'll tear the door down if I don't".

As soon as I opened it I got bundled into my living room and forced to lie down with hands behind my head while they were screaming at me to see where my documents were.

Unfortunately I didn't have my passport: can't remember why - I think it was handed in at the bureau so I could get married and all I had was the notary's copy of it with a translation saying I was Irish. (The n00b translator had read the last word only of the phrase 'United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland').

When these guys saw it they screaming at me more saying, "Why are you saying you're English, this says you're Irish!!!"

By this time my ringpiece was going ten to the dozen and what little Russian I had was going out the window and I was shaking like a leaf through adrenaline.

After a few minutes trying to work out wtf to do with me one of them decided "**** him, he's not a Kavkazets (Caucasian region native, like Chechen or Azerbaijani) let's go!"

Leaving me lying on the floor, thinking, "Well I've got carpet rash on my face and knees so I definitely did not dream it."

Mate of mine in another block wasn't so lucky, the balaclava'ed people who visited him weren't OMON (or at least, if they were they were 'off duty') cos they put a hood over his head, beat the **** out of him and stole his wallet and stereo. Then again some of his Russian 'mates' were pretty dodgy crims so it's hardly surprising he got ****ed up.

Not too surprising then that this friend of mine ran like buggery one night when we were both walking back from a club in Volzhskiy and 2 militsiya wanted to stop us. Trouble is that left me to 'get into the back of the car' with them. They started off with, "Where's the money, blyad, give us the money!" I tried to play it dumb by saying, " I don't understand, I'm a foreigner!" so one of them smacked me in the mouth with a truncheon and asked if I understood that. I nodded and gave them about 3,000 roubles.

So they drove me home - I think just to see where I lived - so I got out and walked into the next block and hid there until they went away. Reason it happened: end of the month - these guys' pay ran out about 2 weeks earlier.

Oh, and they were ****s as well, obviously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was just about to post that "There are worse ways to get woken up than MG fire."

Thanks for doing my job.

Ofcourse there are, who said there wasen't?

Sheesh.. sometimes you guys need to take things with a grain of salt.

Im just telling a slightly ammusing story of my night, and of how in a half asleep state of mind, you can really give yourself the heeby-geebies untill you wake up properly.

Upvote 0
It's a lot safer now - this was in the late nineties in a town particularly well known for its lawlessness (Volzhskiy = Dikiy Zapad).

You should be relatively OK in Moscow/Peter etc.

I thoroughly recommend you to go now - there is an atmosphere of hope for better things in Russia now which didn't exist 10 years ago. Just make sure you take your street smarts with you and avoid conspicuously being a drunken foreigner and you should be OK.

You will make some great friends out there and will have a blast, plus Russian is a really good language to learn.

Upvote 0
There was that guy who tried walking around the world who got stopped on the Russian side of the Bering Straits (It was winter and so walking across was perfectly possible).

They wouldn't let him in 'cos he was carrying a .44 magnum. His excuse that it was the only gun he'd trust to stop a polar bear cut no ice (pardon the pun) with the border guards.

Why he didn't just bribe them is beyond me - border guards in most CIS are fairly amenable to a bit of bribery.

IIRC In Russia you can get permission to own a gas pistol providing you get the right people to vouch for you. These fire either an irritant or some form of paralysing agent. Most people I know who had them loaded the mag with a combo of paralyser then stinger then paralyser and so on for the whole clip.

You're not supposed to use these guns at ranges of less than a metre but the guys' theory was that if you were in a tight situation, you would fire a paralyser/stinger combo directly into the assailant/target's face, causing respiratory failure as the cocktail hit his lungs, thus killing him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0