• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Assault whistles and HURRRRAAAHHHH

I've read books (soviet soldiers' memories and wermacht's also), i saw few documentaries, where they interviewed both germans and russians.
And all of them said - "no, we don't remember that someone was yelling "Za Stalina!"", but _all of them_, even the germans said - "yes, there were lots of "Hurrah!" and it was frigging scary". Especially russian marines used this warcry alot.
And somehow i doubt that you, Strother, were in war.. You know, when you realize that in few seconds you might be dead, you don't keep silence, you yell something - anything - it might be "Tvoju mat!!" ("** your mother!!") or it might be "Hurrah!". Russians yelled both.
If you would like, i can search and translate to you few facts about it.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I said that Russians on occasion and sometimes under the influence would use their "war-cry". But I would assume that the average joe russian farmer conscripted into the army isn't going to have the discipline or love of stalin in him to just run out into a hail of machine gun fire yelling while being sober. You mention the Russian Marines, which I don't know a lot about, but I assume they would have had good training and discipline and wouldn't think twice about doing a war cry. But the marine wants to be a soldier and he has accepted death, but for the average joe he just wants to survive, and I don't think he would have the zeal to do a warcry.

I'm sure the Germans were a somewhat scared when they heard it just from the sheer noise, but I would still have to say there would be some sort of comfort and self assurance while you sit behind your sandbag and mg42s. I could probably see a fresh recruit being scared but after experiencing these war cries for a couple times I think the shock factor would start to wear off. I remember when I was in Milano there was a soccer match between A.C. and some Scottish club. It was actually the day before the game and it was extremely foggy in the city and I can remember hearing the drunk Scotts chanting and yelling in unison and it was pretty eary.

But this game will never have war cries. It would have to be scripted into a mission but I don't see it happening.

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
Avatar this isn't a real time strategy game. Besides I stated in my above posts that the war cry is just rediculous. There was a reason why barbarians back in 0 AD used war cries, because back then life was scary. But in WW2 the Germans had mg42s, and no matter how fierce a war cry is its not going to change the fact that the mg42 is going to mow down about 100 of the guys. So don't believe everything hollywood and EA tells you.

..actually just that was the case, on a regular, everyday basis. Wave after wave of Russian soldiers, often forming a line, arms hooked under, "storming" german positions. It was as well not uncommon to have piles of 1m+ height if not more in front of german positions comprised entirely of dead russians. The russian "uraahh" when attacking is well documented and was more of a psychological tool so as to overcome the fear of running straight into the hail of bullets, esp. when 500+ soldiers do it together. Germans had their "Hurraaa" when storming enemy positions. The similarities between the two war cries and the confusion it created sometimes is also documented...So whats up with you and Hollywood all the time? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
The Russian URRAAHH! is well documented, regardless of individual soldiers motivations in battle. And it seems Strother underestimates the burning hatreds uinleashed during the Great Patritoc War...on both sides.

Germans countering the Russian UURRAAHH's with cries of their own is also well documented.

Supposedly, the UURRAAHH is some sort of Siberian/Magyar/Tartar slang for Kill...

It would be fun to have them in game, but I also agree the spamming would be ridiculous for the first few days/weeks.

Maybe limit you to 5 UURRAAHHs in a minute or something :p

Upvote 0
Hero of the Soviet Union Yekaterina Dyomina is the only woman in the history of the Russian Fleet who served with the marines. She fought through the war Russia fought against Nazi Germany from the very beginning to the end.

“I had to dive at times and hold my gun above the water. Suddenly I saw the Nazis sailing towards us on boats trying to encircle us. So I went down on my knees, pulled the trigger, and my machine-gun came rattling. But it soon became silent, for it ran out of ammunition. There were twelve of us left, and I was the thirteenth and wounded at that. And then we heard a rolling Russian “Hurrah!” Our forces had taken the fortress by assault. We were wet all through. After spending eighteen hours in ice-cold water all our limbs were stiff with cold. They even had to unclench our fingers afterwards.”

There's somethin I found, pretty cool lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great idea for whistles and Uraaaiiiiiii

Great idea for whistles and Uraaaiiiiiii

There has been well documented use of whistles and the russian urraii. Whistles used on both sides to signal attacks and once the charge started the Russians would let out a Uraaiiiii to bolster their courage before a an assault. The Russians also used it to show appreciation they would roar it after Officers speeches and it was was a long slow Urrrrrrraaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. It was a part of Russian/Soviet army ethos/culture and not a spontaneous act at parades etc. It would be great for ambience.
If it could be implemented in RO, Id like to see when if say 4-5 men get together for an assault, like behind a berm at Konigsplatz, one possibly an officer would get the option to command it or it would auto kick in as they cross the berm (or any designated point.). Accompanying whistles etc would greatly add to the noise and chaos of battle.

Just my tuppence worth.

Upvote 0
Whistles where used in World war 1 to (stupidly) signify a rush to the enemy trenches. A great way of telling the other side to get their heavy MGs oiled up.

Dont think they would have much use in urban WW2 fighting. Maybe they could have been used in more woodland premeditated attacks but i dont think it was vital and am not sure if they were even used

Upvote 0