• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] ArmA 3, for real

Hey guys... I have very limited experience with Arma II (mostly single player and Day Z) but I'm really looking forward to Arma III...

From what I understand you go into a scenario with specified objectives. So if you're just joining a server you can be totally out of luck and end up with people running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

I'd like to engage in tactical gameplay with lots of communication and team work. Should I look to join a group or clan or something? I have lots of experience with teamwork and am always a team player in Red Orchestra and other games. I have a good computer, good headset, and a good attitude - I just don't know where to start exactly. Would anyone here be able to take me under their wing or recommend a place to go?

Upvote 0
I'd like to engage in tactical gameplay with lots of communication and team work. Should I look to join a group or clan or something? I have lots of experience with teamwork and am always a team player in Red Orchestra and other games. I have a good computer, good headset, and a good attitude - I just don't know where to start exactly. Would anyone here be able to take me under their wing or recommend a place to go?
shacTac, biggest community, I'm not in their group but I know several guys who are and like it.

Upvote 0
Public servers can be good or bad like in any game, but arma players tend to be more teamplay conscious than most, so its usually not horrible. That's the point of it afterall, it's not exactly an fps. You can have a very engaging experience just acting as support and hardly fire a shot unlike RO2.

Clans tend to be pretty involved, but I they're the best way to get the full experience.

Upvote 0
Shacktac like previously mentioned is a really good tightly knit group, but with the size of entries they get from the floods of people who want to be the next Kilroy/Youtube celebrity means you'll have to wait a fair period just to get in (assuming you manage to meet their expectations).

I'd definitely say even if you apply to them, join another group anyway while you wait. If you get accepted, just migrate. Otherwise stay where you are if you like it.

And while I agree ARMA pubs are way better than most pub servers in other games, the problem is definitely the "dazzling array" of what pubs are playing. You can play wasteland... or wasteland... or zombie stuff.

Upvote 0
Shacktactical are a decent active unit but they always struck me as something of a personality cult as well tbh.

We run occupation on arma 3 just for the sake of variety, but i notice a lot of ppl's interest in arma 3 seem to revolve around dayz implementation unfortunetely.

I still haven't got over the future setting and i guess i never will - although a few of the vehicles have been fielded irl i just can't get over the impression that i'm playing crysis-arma. And i don't buy into a Iranian (sorry, generic MEC, (sorry, CSAT)) enemy that look like the fremen from dune.

The engine seems ok, the new stances are great and i like what i see of the enviroments - many things have impressed me.

So, because i'm basically waiting for modern day (or preferably historical) assets and armies for this game to replace everything that BI want to put in it, i'm not really bothered by the apparent lack of content upon release (one jet, that looks like an albatross variant?)

But i know a lot of others that are really disappointed by this.
We all happily put up with clunky engines for over 10 years now, cos at least the games gave us a scope that was unmatched elsewhere - and part of this was a mass of assets to enjoy. I guess in the days of steam releases you play the 'free dlc later' card, after which everything is forgotten (rather than physically holding a disk with very little on it)

I mean, could some of this dayz sales money have been used to outsource the production of more assets, its not like theres a dirth of modeling talent who would be proud to be associated with the arma series

I know they wont use Jarhead to work on decent sounds or ACE team members to add proven functionality, they can expect that kinda thing to be added for free later but come on - but hasn't arma has always been about having a big box of varied toys?

Upvote 0