• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Argument that KDR is "unimportant" in this game

I don't think KDR is that important in the game, as long as you are taking the objective and the enemy is losing more reinforcements than your team

+ can you unlock pistol for rifle class, if so what lvl

and what lvl is the third K98 unlock, it says level 25, but that hasn't changed since I unlocked the bayonet (lvl 25), at a guess is it 50?

Upvote 0
I don't think KDR is that important in the game, as long as you are taking the objective and the enemy is losing more reinforcements than your team

+ can you unlock pistol for rifle class, if so what lvl

and what lvl is the third K98 unlock, it says level 25, but that hasn't changed since I unlocked the bayonet (lvl 25), at a guess is it 50?

You clearly have not grasped the point of this topic. How does the enemy lose more reinforcements if KDR is unimportant? The enemy will only lose more troops if your team is killing more than they die.

Upvote 0
It goes either way as in terms of a "team player", or a "does nothing douchbag"

Ex.

High KD- You can be killing loads of people from somewhat outside the objective, and may not seem like your helping but actually ARE by keeping the amount of people entering the objective, or a path to the objective, lower.

Low KD- Trying to get into the heart of the objective where a bunch of the enemy is, and your dieing a lot because most of your team is working on the other objective while the one your at is already captured, but under attack, and your the only one keeping it captured, but in result dieing more..bad example but you get what I mean

Upvote 0
I'm probably reiterating a lot points that people have already said , but here's my perspective on this.

Kills CAN be an indicator of how well a player is doing in any FPS, but is never THE most important and relevant factor.
This varies greatly from class to class and map to map.

For example, if you are a commander (on a map with arty) and you very few kills (below 20 lets say) its likely a sign that you have not been dropping arty on time or not on the right spots.

Or perhaps you are an assault on Grain Elevator, sure you can have a whole bunch of cap points and team points, but if you're not killing a lot of people as that class on a close quarters map, you really aren't properly utilizing the role and frankly holding your team back significantly.

MGs are a little more complicated as often times the best spots are off on the flanks and out of the cap points, as such you generally won't have a whole bunch of team points, and since the amount of supression you are causing (which arguably doesn't actually "scare" people as some argue) is not really measurable, kills are the only way you can really tell how well you're doing.

Classes like Rifleman, SL, AT are the ones where amount of kills won't matter much at all, since Rifleman are the basic cap fodder and can do fine with or without kills - on some close quarters maps it can be a pain to rack up kills as rifleman
AT can only really realistically kill so many tanks in a 20~ minute round. SL's main role is to throw out smoke and pass on info to others and mark arty - all of which gets him no kills.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like others have stated, it really depends on the person's role and not necessarily representative of the player's efforts for their team at all.

Earlier tonight I had a match on Red October Factory as a AT Rifleman I ended the match with only six kills. Yet those six kills consisted of four individual enemy tanks that quite obviously have a huge impact on gameplay.

To the average doofus concerned about the scoreboard in the most basic of understandings, it would appear as if I didn't do anything for my team when that is indeed a misconception. I perhaps did more than a good chunk of my team for that particular match by ridding us of some huge headaches and game changers.

Honestly, I don't care much for stats when it comes to this franchise and as I grow more older and mature, I don't care for stats in other games either. Just the experience that I get from teamwork and communication is what matters.

If you have a super awesome K/D, good for you, buddy.

Upvote 0
It's a complicated matter - if you're a good sharpshooter who can take out enemies at long range outside the cap zones you'll get fewer points than someone who runs into the capzone to help in capturing it. I remember how I stayed in the back, covering my squad with accurate fire to allow them get to better position - it's less points but it has high tactical value.

The best thing a player can do is to combine his efforts with the rest of the team: if I cover certain place with an MG I will get less points, but I'll make sure it's secured, meaning other players can support different tactical points, etc.

The worst that can happen to you is to try to take the cap and die; by stats you'll be labeled as useless to the team while - when succeeding - such effort is crucial to progress on most of the maps. Someone has to take the risk of being exposed and advance. Problem is not everyone can cover with fire well enough or many people simply care not for that at all, making approach leathal almost always.

My advice and opinion is to ignore K/D ratio. You can have very good K/D ratio while not helping your team entirely and you can die many times and kill very few people while helping your team massively just by being where the action is - at the cap zone.

Another problem (not in Classic) - from my viewpoint - is psychological effect of progression and leveling. People are "encouraged" to have higher kill ratio, because it's needed to unlock weapons. It discourages them from playing for objectives by encouraging them to get more (strategically insignificant) kills/points.

Last edited:
Upvote 0