• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are you releasing before BF3 hits the shelves?.

What is your basis for that statement?

I would agree with him. Some of us 4 years on or more are still playing RO and would never touch a game like the BF series offers. The long term Red Orchestra series players I would say tend not to appreciate the arcadey and console style BF type games. Apples and oranges.

Upvote 0
Pff, TWI developers are so far above their punching weight they can left hand an IS2 on the frontal glacis.

And win.

( Yeah down vote me for that yah limey IS2 Lovers, because if you do you then downvote TWI; your first love. Haha, catch 22! You have to upvote me because you would never have discovered IS2 without TWI!, but by upvoting TWI you downvote IS2!)
( hehe that reminded me far too much of that guy from the princess bride in the poisoned drink scene. )

IS2 can only be punched through because it allowed TWI to do so, however receiving IS2's blessing is a compliment in its own right and only awarded to those worthy, certainly TWI is worthy of IS2. :IS2:.

Bothsides have been upvoted.

As for advertising, believe it or not game developers are not allergic to sunlight, plus the appearance of the boss man himself is without a doubt something that turns heads, or maybe its just his crazy shirts. . .

Also, Ramm cut his hair on someone elses suggestion? This has to be a sin. IS2 scholars, fetch the Book of IS2 and TWI and please scroll to section 1 verse 7. *Waits for C_Gibby's arrival*

Reactions: hockeywarrior
Upvote 0
Actually I own two, and I've never told a potential customer "oh I'm a small company there's no telling when I'll be done" I damn sure never told one to shut the hell up were done when were done. I will probably still buy their game and I'm sure it will be good, but there is always better. It comes down to how they sell the product. It can be the greatest game ever, but if no one is out selling it, and Getting people pumped. "Yea RO2 open beta May 5 HOOOORAAA preorder now" It WORKS. "Not shut the **** up quit asking" I mean really. Or just tell people it won't be out til next year.
OK, I'll bite. Two what? Kind of a broad area. Service, manufacturing, consulting, advertising, farming, retail, software development? In spite of the idiom, whats good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander.

No one ever said there wasn't a better way to do something. But someone looking from the outside in with no other info other than observation can't do much more than offer conjecture. I haven't seen TWI's financials. Nor do I know what their mission statement is. I do know I can't buy a piece of their company on the nyse or nasdaq. I own ETRS (sorry TW). Imv, a little personal one on one with industry leaders at the appropriate venues is just what the company needs.

Has TW ever even given a date for release? Have they even said 2011? Missing a stated date may well be more fatal than being non-commital. (Especially in light of the A.D.D. attitude that seems to prevail.)

I have a deep an personal disdain for advertisers and most product salesmen. I deal with their crap all day. I get calls every night (and always during dinner) from marketers representing chemical and seed companies trying to poll me so they can tell the companies hired by them how to sell me something. (Like I just fell off the turnip truck).
What I appreciate and patronize are companies that shoot straight with me. All I ever ask for is honesty. Smoke and mirrors and hype raise my 'bull****' awareness to peak levels.

@DJBONE
Post is not addressed at you in particular. Just commenting on the discussion in general.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The type of companies is irrelevant business is business. Where myself and TWI to differ is my product is essential. Everyone needs it every day in order is live a healthy life. I don't really have to do much marketing. I just have to put my companies name out there and a week later I'm knee deep it. TWI's production of RO2 is non essential believe it or not LOL. We can live healthy productive lives without RO2. So they have to market to the MAJORITY (who are playing BF2 and COD right now) not the monitory (those of us still playing RO).

No they haven't stated a release date and thats the problem. They drop sly little hints here and there but they don't really make a stand. They have been dropping these sly little hints since 2010. "Oh it will be out sooner than you think" "oh we're starting the F&F open beta WHEN WE GET THE OFFICIAL word" "Oh we have the list for the F&F open beta" shall I go on. kinda like how a GIRL at the bar leads you on so you'll keep buying her drinks without her putting out.

Do you or do you not get excited when you go to fry's electronic and check out the new computers. Are you not pumped we you get a new truck?

RO2 will not sell it's self no matter how bad-*** it is. The minority my-self included will buy right when is comes out. But the majority will have already pre-ordered BF3 because their excited about it. People are excited about because they took a stand. " BF3 WILL BE RELEASED November 15" They are not forcing us to read between the lines.

Upvote 0
No they haven't stated a release date and thats the problem. They drop sly little hints here and there but they don't really make a stand. They have been dropping these sly little hints since 2010. "Oh it will be out sooner than you think" "oh we're starting the F&F open beta WHEN WE GET THE OFFICIAL word" "Oh we have the list for the F&F open beta" shall I go on. kinda like how a GIRL at the bar leads you on so you'll keep buying her drinks without her putting out.

Do you or do you not get excited when you go to fry's electronic and check out the new computers. Are you not pumped we you get a new truck?

RO2 will not sell it's self no matter how bad-*** it is. The minority my-self included will buy right when is comes out. But the majority will have already pre-ordered BF3 because their excited about it. People are excited about because they took a stand. " BF3 WILL BE RELEASED November 15" They are not forcing us to read between the lines.

Did it ever occur to you they haven't stated a release date because they actually dont know when the game will be ready?

Commiting to a date and having to change it (I can think of at least one prominent PC developer who is always doing so) is not helpful. They are effectively "taking a stand" by refusing to announce a release date that they are unable to commit to, which so many others could do easily to build up excitement and then delay. They are going about this the right way.

I'm pretty sure that when it comes to the actual release given the excellent attention PC gamer has given them, and a few other websites too that there'll be plenty of media about telling everyone about the game, and I'm sure they'll be singing it's praises.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pvt.Skoko and trick
Upvote 0
TWI needs to buy a retired IS2, restore it to working condition, and make it the company mascot.

Now that's a publicity stunt :IS2:

The type of companies is irrelevant business is business. Where myself and TWI to differ is my product is essential. Everyone needs it every day in order is live a healthy life. I don't really have to do much marketing. I just have to put my companies name out there and a week later I'm knee deep it. TWI's production of RO2 is non essential believe it or not LOL. We can live healthy productive lives without RO2. So they have to market to the MAJORITY (who are playing BF2 and COD right now) not the monitory (those of us still playing RO).

What kind of business do you work in? Tell me, so I can tell you it's nothing like the game design market.

Nobody cares if you sell shoes or toilet installation or whatever backwater trade you might be involved in, a small company can not give accurate release dates when it comes to something as large scale and unpredictable as game development; if the dev team start running slow for whatever reason they cannot just crap money at the problem like EA, they have to face the problem and accept the issues. This isn't the pea-brained money-throwing consumer fanbase that CoD or Medal of Honor inhabits, if TW gives an optimistic release date and then fails miserably to deliver, theres going to be a massive upheaval of sewage on these forums. They are wise not to give a release date; the "release date" does not effect the release date so the information is irrelevant. It's done when it's done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, you don't want to release too soon, and piss off a bunch of people with an unfinished game, like IL2: Cliffs of Dover. They have been waiting for that game for 4-6 years, and it releases, NO multicore, NO multiGPU support. They are catching bad heat for that.

But you don't want to release too late either, cause everyone is off playing another title.

And most importantly, you do NOT want to release against a title like Battlefield 3, where they are spending a LOT of money to advertise alone. I forget the number but its big. They are set on destroying COD with this release, and thats the crossfire you DON'T want caught in.

Releasing before Battlefield 3 would be the best bet, only because your advertising would be actually seen and heard. And not right before either, significantly ahead of their advertising campaign, which I'm afraid to say is beginning THIS SUMMER. So a pre-summer release is the only option which I seriously doubt will happen. Either way I WILL be getting it regardless of when it's released. But at the same time, I WILL be getting Battlefield 3 when it gets released, regardless of when RO:2 is. But what does matter, is which one I actually play the most.

RO:2 - If only half of the features listed are implemented into the game without problem it will utterly defeat any other game's gameplay hands down.

Battlefield3 - Much prettier and shiny. Just built a new rig and playing a game that actually uses my hardware to at least half of its potential is nice. This title will also have more players in servers, which is a big advantage. Being limited on only a few full servers really sucks and while the game will go on, it destroys the momentum.

Just my thoughts, nothing important.

Upvote 0
June 22nd!
Hate to burst your bubble but that date is far too soon imo if you consider the fact that the first stages of internal beta testing are probably just now beginning. Then we've got community members, THEN the large closed beta. I think it would be realistic to hope for the big beta to be starting in late June, but certainly not the full release.

My guess is September some time, based on what we know.

Reactions: Landrik
Upvote 0