• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are you mapper?

Someone once made a CS map of our school. TERRORISTS! BOMB THREAT!.....

All this "violent video games make people murderous psychos" stuff is just wrong. People who decide about these things should be atleast somewhat aware of the fact that these games are not "murder simulators". Well, what will happen next? :eek:

Upvote 0
OMG A CSS map depicting the TV Series "Lost" OMG LOL (yes, there is one...a perfect replica)

gawd its just a f*cking game.

sue them for copyright violations!

Hmmm - I used ROEd to make a 3D model of my kitchen when I was redesigning it. I'd better not post RO-Nestor's_Kitchen_B1 in case the local Old Bill turn up and dig up my patio, expecting me to be Fred West the second.

be sure to make a version that works with 50 players

Upvote 0
I need someone to tell me when to be concerned and when not to.

A few weeks ago someone went and shot up an american university. A lot of people are saying we should have seen it coming because the killer had displayed some anti-social tendencies including writing plays filled with violence and disturbing images.

Ok, fair enough.

But now, if someone models their school so they can go on monster kill rampages in CS, it's just a game?

Is that level designer a potential mass killer? Not too bright, maybe, but probably not a killer.

Still, in this day and age, can you not understand why people might become concerned?

I've been bothered recently by the common knee-jerk reaction of gamers to stories like this. There's not much hard evidence that violent games affect people, but there's not much evidence to the contrary, either. But that's not really what bothers me. What really concerns me is that I doubt anyone here could honestly evaluate evidence that there really was something to be concerned about.

And yes, the irony that I'm posting this on a forum dedicated to a fps set in WW2 is not lost on me.

Upvote 0
I was about to mention that - you lot are most definately up to something. I've called the cops.. they will be searching through your belongings. I'm scared as hell these people spend all day designing a virtual world where the main focus is killing. What are we supposed to think? That you guys arent actually planning a mass murder?

The evidence to the contrary is millions of FPS players who dont go out and kill people in real life. Millions of people who are all there mentally and can distinguish between reality and what happens on their computer screen.

What really concerns me is that I doubt anyone here could honestly evaluate evidence that there really was something to be concerned about.

I assume you are talking about the VT killer. In which case I think this is an unfair and unkind assumption.

Upvote 0
I assume you are talking about the VT killer. In which case I think this is an unfair and unkind assumption.

No, sorry, I was speaking of the possible inability of gamers to fairly evaluate evidence that violent games may actually have an effect.

I've always wondered what would happen if someone actually did provide hard, irrefutable evidence that violent imagery increased the violent tendencies of people.

Upvote 0
Oh, I definately agree with you there because, I'll admit, I'm personally quick to say 'no they do not' ..but the subject, like any other, needs a controlled study to give us any real info.

If hard evidence was presented, then... hell, I dont know. What would they do, ban all the movies, books, games; past, present and future? Only allow a certain type of violence?

I lean towards violence as being part of the first law of nature, self-preservation, and when people lash out it's because they feel pushed beyond a threshold they know how to deal with. Whether it works this way for someone truly deranged, I dont know - I mean, crazy is just plain crazy :p ..but for someone who is, for all intents and purposes, an average individual, I think the former applies. Can violent images turn a normal being into a killer bent on murder? I find it hard to believe.

However, the undeveloped mind of a child is another thing entirely - they may just be able to be taught violence is okay, a way to solve their problems. Even then I'm not sure only because of interviews I've seen with children in parts of Africa who from an early age are thrown into violent realities, given guns, forced to kill their friends, family - even they, after being removed from those situations, they say it was all wrong and that they didnt feel right about it at all. Now there is good evidence that even a violent reality doesnt change a person, or child, into a murderer.

Upvote 0
Well honestly, the first thing a young mapper is going to try to recreate is his school:

1. Schools usually have simple, yet not tooooo boring architecture
2. They are among the few buildings a youth knows in and out besides his own home
3. They can brag about the result at their friends

The first Unreal map I created was a poor version of my school with gothic castle textures:eek:

Upvote 0
Coincidentally, a few days before the VA Tech massacre, I was thinking my old high school would make a great map for CS: S and the like. Not because its a school, but because it has a interesting layout, and obstacles, such as lockers, are placed in ways that would be good from a gameplay perspective. Nowadays, in games the building layouts are pretty mundane, factory style (big open indoor area), small building (just a few hallways and rooms and some stairs), long *** hallway style (million doors/rooms condensed into a few hallways), and variations/combinations of these (I know I'm excluding the outdoor and indoor combo environments, but thats beyond the scope of this post). Schools, well at least my former high school, has a combination of all of these and are connected in such a way that it would just make a awesome level gameplay wise and realism wise. Another problem with games is the buildings are designed for gameplay, not realism. There are rooms where it wouldn't really make sense to put them there, strangely placed exits, or odd dead ends.

So now that I'm done going off on a tangent... the kid probably couldn't think of an idea for a map, so he took something he was very familar with and made a level off that. As you can see from what I wrote above, I don't see any problem with that. However, I would be worried if he made it a hostage map, or had custom models to represent Counter-Terrorists as police and Terrorists as teenagers or anything like that. Though I haven't seen any pictures of this map, it could simply be the school's layout but doesn't have the same look, objects (such as desks), or other things that could identify it as a school.

Upvote 0
Way back when... :eek: ... I drew up a map (on paper) for the Avalon Hill board game Squad Leader that the buildings and terrain were of my highschool and surrounding fields and woods. I just thought the terrain would make an interesting battle area. Also did this with a farm and a stretch of road that ran thru it a few miles from my house.

Point is, as for the article above, to express concern is one thing, but to get carried away like that :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Total bollocks, for someone to go on a killing spree, we know from all past incidents that they have to be bonkers, and this is something you can test for.

Fair enough they get concearned over this, but hell, send the kid for a psych evaluation, and if he does not show any troubeling signs of mental illness (specifically anti-social tendancies or Psychosis), then whats the problem? tell him not to do that again and be done with it, and if he does show signs of illness? well then he's sick and needs treatment.

You know, i'll venture that if teachers actually gave a **** about their students and looked for signs of troubled kids who need serious help, and got them that help, we woulden't be seeing thease catastrophies, and if that means that teachers must be taught what to look for, im all for it.

Upvote 0
Isn't the point of CS to prevent terrorists from planting a bomb or rescuing hostages! Surely this is the kind of thing the americans love (if you watch 24 its all about the many ways jack stops terrorists).

FFS the kid was doing something constructive (learning a skill) with his time instead of watching TV or playing the game. he should be rewarded not pissing removed from school.

Upvote 0