• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are the older Rainbow Six titles still playable online?

DietOrange

Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2008
I was cleaning a spare room of the house the other day and ran across all the older R6 discs (R6, RS, the expansions ).
Those were the first online PC games for me and had a lot of fun with real friends online back then.

Is there a special setup that people use to play these things online? I tried the standard method from the old days, but it appears not to work.

I think there are still some people playing.
I once found a few matches through Xfire, a while ago i heard something about a site called Voobly hosting games though i couldnt find anything concrete about it (truth be told, i didnt really try hard since it was not easily findable and my Rogue Spear is acting up anyways), and there should still be a tournament somewhere.
It's called RogueJunkies but something happened to their website i think, and i dont know how active they are now or if they dropped out too.
Those are the only options i know about. I always wanted to play Rogue Spear co-op again, but ingame you cant find any servers no matter what you try (hamachi with another player etc).

While on the topic of Rogue Spear, i'm having a gameplay breaking issue.
When walking, my guy just kind of warps back, like you're having lag in singleplayer.
You are moving forward just fine, but the player model just gets jerked back and forth. It looks incredibly stupid but more importantly, it messes up the reticules.
Even when the reticule is closed, you can see the outlines of the 4 parts of the reticule at the far sides of the screen as well leading me to believe the reticule just opens up and closes again so fast you just cant see it.
But the end result is that sometimes shots land all over the place, even when you are shooting point blank bullets will kind of hit the ceiling in the far right distance for example, like they are being deflected on the tango.
This kind of 'precision' coupled with the aiming skills of the R6 AI is just too deadly and you get killed through game ****-ups.

I have tried a program called ShakeFix but as far as i can see it only works 1 out of 99 tries.
It's making the game completely unplayable, especially in hostage rescue situations. And god, do i miss my Rogue Spear now :(
So close, yet so far away situation.
Does anybody know a solution?

My specs: XP, 9800GTX, Dualcore E6600 and 2 gigs of RAM.

Upvote 0
.....and still one of the best games you can play online.

I dunno, honestly I don't like it that much online. The SP in the R6 games is amazing, but the MP just doesn't feel anywhere near on the level of say.... RO :D. Or Project Reality, or TF2, or L4D... anyways just my opinion. Many love it. Honestly it reminds me of CS more than anything, just CS with super inaccurate guns when you're moving. It's run and gun most of the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think there are still some people playing.
I once found a few matches through Xfire, a while ago i heard something about a site called Voobly hosting games though i couldnt find anything concrete about it (truth be told, i didnt really try hard since it was not easily findable and my Rogue Spear is acting up anyways), and there should still be a tournament somewhere.
It's called RogueJunkies but something happened to their website i think, and i dont know how active they are now or if they dropped out too.
Those are the only options i know about. I always wanted to play Rogue Spear co-op again, but ingame you cant find any servers no matter what you try (hamachi with another player etc).

While on the topic of Rogue Spear, i'm having a gameplay breaking issue.
When walking, my guy just kind of warps back, like you're having lag in singleplayer.
You are moving forward just fine, but the player model just gets jerked back and forth. It looks incredibly stupid but more importantly, it messes up the reticules.
Even when the reticule is closed, you can see the outlines of the 4 parts of the reticule at the far sides of the screen as well leading me to believe the reticule just opens up and closes again so fast you just cant see it.
But the end result is that sometimes shots land all over the place, even when you are shooting point blank bullets will kind of hit the ceiling in the far right distance for example, like they are being deflected on the tango.
This kind of 'precision' coupled with the aiming skills of the R6 AI is just too deadly and you get killed through game ****-ups.

I have tried a program called ShakeFix but as far as i can see it only works 1 out of 99 tries.
It's making the game completely unplayable, especially in hostage rescue situations. And god, do i miss my Rogue Spear now :(
So close, yet so far away situation.
Does anybody know a solution?

My specs: XP, 9800GTX, Dualcore E6600 and 2 gigs of RAM.

Have you tried setting the affinity to just one core?

Upvote 0
I still play Raven Shield. It was the last game in the Rainbow Six series worth playing, and it's still one of the best multiplayer games out there in my opinion.

I seem to be the only one who uses the M11/9 as a primary weapon in multiplayer. Assuming players of equal skill level, no weapon stands a chance against it in close quarters. I also seem to be the only one who does well with a FAL set to semi in multiplayer. I don't need those spammy FAMAS and L85 rifles if I kill you with my first shot.

Upvote 0
Steyr AUG is my favourite weapon in Raven Shield. The built-in telescopic sight doesn't require an accessory slot and is very useful.

i always thought the aug looked weird (in the game - it kinda tapered too sharply.)
SA80/L85 for me really, built in scope too, and as good as any other 5.56. R6 were the only games to feature them at that time.

FNC was my favourite big-hitter, for when i was holdingh back a bit more.

but you would always cycle through weapons for fun in ravenshield.
it's had and probably still does have the largest selection of weapons to choose from.

It was the first PC game i really played a lot online.

Upvote 0
Rogue is still alive on voobly.com

Rogue is still alive on voobly.com

There is a small community with lots of potential for Rogue Spear, a new AC is coming out / being tested, and a ladder. We need more people so go download voobly!!! voobly.com, its similar to zone.com( one of the 1st sites hosting RS game lobbies) for those of you who remember. The game is so small its really not like installing much.. It's kind of a pain to get working sometimes, depending on your operating system, but I've got it to work on all of them with some tweaking of the settings. Just ask for help in the voobly / rogue spear lobby, someone will help im sure. Guys i play all the games , ps3: mag call of duty guitar hero, lots of racing etc, pc: counter strike, left 4 d, day of defeat, and so many more tried, SO FAR nothing has been fun as a 8v8 6v6 4v4 or even a 3v3 on Rogue spear.
So old players and curious new players who want a try at this old shooter download it!!! It's free at [url]http://www.xcgaming.com[/URL] Because we need more competetion!! It's not a BIG / MASS MEMORY using game, doesnt take long to install or download, It's main feature 3rd person view, and its intense to me for some reason. No not advertising, just updating everyone, because i am still one of many still playing this game. So com

Upvote 0