• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anyone using the 163.xx drivers?

Tontoman

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2007
Had loaded them up to play Bioshock and fired up RO today after about two weeks away.

Got hit with steam updated which even after restarting steam wouldn't let me launch RO (no error just never launched).

Rebooted whole system (when in doubt...) and RO now launches. But the Nvidia 8800 vid card stutter is now a horror instead of just a mild problem in some maps in some buildings. Basically unplayable.

Anyway, just to confirm is anyone else using the 163.xx nvidia drivers? I'm guessing that and not the steam update is the issue.

Thanks
T.

Just updated to the 163.71. Danzig (the worst offender for me) does not appear any worse (world detail on low) than the 162's I had been running. 163.69? was horrible for stuttering. Don't have the heart to move up the world detail and see how bad it gets. Based on Nvidias forum thread on the UT engine/8xxx series issues, I wouldn't expect these drivers to help. "The way its meant to be played.....stuttttteeeerrring".

Upvote 0
Well I have a different story here. I got rid of the stuttering, when I upgraded to the 163.69 betas and the 163.71 are as good. Before that playing Danzig was impossible unless i had the details as low as they go.

I don't know if it's related to the gfx precaching (which i have set to True), but when I turned that off, it seemed to cause some really bad hitching. I tried it only on Arad, but it was so annoying that I rather take the (slightly) longer loading times. Might be a long shot, but maybe worth trying.

Upvote 0