• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

anyone upgraded from an audigy 2 to an x-fi? Worth it?

d3v

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2006
I'm seriously considering upgrading ym audigy 2 to an x-fi becuase sound is my favorate part of a war game.

Has anyone upgraded to an x-fi card from an audigy 2? is it really worth it?

also wot are the differences between all the x-fi editions?

Well...

I dont have one but over at overclocker it seems alot of people are switching and nothing but OMG i love this card :)

Im using onboard sound atm, maybe i should get this x-fi..

mmmm

edit:http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Creative_Sound_Cards.html Pricey!

onboard :eek: You don't know what your missing, lol! Onboard is no way near the experiance you get with an audigy 2. I wonder if the leap in quality would be the same from audigy 2 to x-fi, though?

I woulden't buy from overclockers. They are way way overpriced and their returns ethics are nasty. If you buy from them, just hope it dosen't break.

I bought laods of stuff from them before and I've had them send me dead on arrival items and apparantly they know what they are doing. Also my old Asus board broke and when they EVENTUALLY replaced it, it died a month later.

Since then I've stuck with ebuyer.

Upvote 0
Anything is better then onboard. You dont have to spend more the 50 bucks to have sound that is 10X better. I had a audigy gamer that is 4 years old that i put in my new system, it died and i am useing the onboard now and it ****s. I have 5.1 and everytime a map loads or the CPU is at 100% the sound skips. That is an other reason to get a sound card, it off loads some stress on your CPU.

I have read a few reviews on the difference beteen the 2 and x-fi and there isnt that much of a difference.

I'll have to see if i can get my audigy working again or i will be looking into getting a x-fi.

If you are lookin for a place to buy a sound card newegg.com hasnt let me down and their prices are really good.

Upvote 0
I have the X-Fi Xtreme music version of the sound card. I bought it because onboard sound kept crapping out and the drivers for a audigy board I had caused problems. X-Fi is effing amazing, though if you want to go beyond the basic configuration settings you should know what you are doing, or find someone who does (you won't break anything but the sound could be "off"). I left it on default settings mostly, works great. Here is some helpful tips/review from a CSN article.
I use headphones. X-Fi with headphones is great.
General comment not directed at the quoted person: The Xtreme music version doesn't allow you to use headphones and speakers at the same time, I don't know any people that would, just saying to make sure no one buys the basic version to save a few $ but then screws himself over if he wants that option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
onboard :eek: You don't know what your missing, lol! Onboard is no way near the experiance you get with an audigy 2. I wonder if the leap in quality would be the same from audigy 2 to x-fi, though?

I woulden't buy from overclockers. They are way way overpriced and their returns ethics are nasty. If you buy from them, just hope it dosen't break.

I bought laods of stuff from them before and I've had them send me dead on arrival items and apparantly they know what they are doing. Also my old Asus board broke and when they EVENTUALLY replaced it, it died a month later.

Since then I've stuck with ebuyer.

They once replaced a fried GFX card for me, two months down the line, no questions asked, after I said it had malfunctioned. And no, it was nothing to do with my attempts to fit an aftermarket cooler, what are you on about, dont look at me like that...

Upvote 0