• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anyone else waiting?

Anyone else waiting?

• I play it.

Votes: 138 42.1%
  • I'm done with it.

Votes: 42 12.8%
  • I don't play it - but with performance increase or gameplay changes I would like to return.

Votes: 148 45.1%

• Total voters
I am on vacation now, over 2 weeks i am online again.
I see there are many people happy with Ro2 just as me.
Don't understand the people with a good system and bad performance. I have a nvdia gtx 260 and i have only fps problems on the 64 players servers. I am happy when larger tankmaps are coming and when the tanks are debugged and the damage is made realistic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I started playing Ostfront in 07 so I never experienced the rocky days so to speak... But seeing so much input from both the community and the developers is quite encouraging and has changed my mood towards the game to optimistic.

I know there are many out there who for them, this is THE video game. I'm the only history buff in my friends and they just couldn't give a damn about Stalingrad (in US public school we learned about tzars but never the Eastern front :rolleyes:)- but us RO players understand how epic this game could.... IS going to be! Stomp a few bugs and get some bolt action action going and we're good to go.

Reactions: [TW]redeye
Upvote 0
Playing since Sept 16. Game is great! I doggedly suffered through the bugs and patches. it's working the best yet! Never had a frame rate prob. Very depressed that the fan base is almost gone. Our Clan had to add bots set at the Veteran level. Ppl drop by and stay for hours.
Come by too at ; Professional Territory Assault With Bots, 68.232.168.134 :)

Intel i7-950 3.06 GHz processor with 8Mb cache
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB
Display Memory: 4064 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1248 MB
Shared Memory: 2815 MB
Available OS Memory: 12280MB RAM

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I started playing Ostfront in 07 so I never experienced the rocky days so to speak... But seeing so much input from both the community and the developers is quite encouraging and has changed my mood towards the game to optimistic.

I know there are many out there who for them, this is THE video game. I'm the only history buff in my friends and they just couldn't give a damn about Stalingrad (in US public school we learned about tzars but never the Eastern front :rolleyes:)- but us RO players understand how epic this game could.... IS going to be! Stomp a few bugs and get some bolt action action going and we're good to go.

Didn't they also knew il2 / il2fb etc ???

Upvote 0
Wait for me, and I'll come back!
Wait with all you've got!
Wait, when dreary yellow rains
Tell you, you should not.
Wait when snow is falling fast,
Wait when summer's hot,
Wait when yesterdays are past,
Others are forgot.
Wait, when from that far-off place,
Letters don't arrive.
Wait, when those with whom you wait
Doubt if I'm alive.
Wait for me, and I'll come back!
Wait in patience yet
When they tell you off by heart
That you should forget.
Even when my dearest ones
Say that I am lost,
Even when my friends give up,
Sit and count the cost,
Drink a glass of bitter wine
To the fallen friend -
Wait! And do not drink with them!
Wait until the end!
Wait for me and I'll come back,
Dodging every fate!
"What a bit of luck!" they'll say,
Those that would not wait.
They will never understand
How amidst the strife,
By your waiting for me, dear,
You had saved my life.
Only you and I will know
How you got me through.
Simply - you knew how to wait -
No one else but you.
Konstantin Simonov

Keep faith, my friends. I'm keeping an eye on RO2, but I am indeed waiting...

Upvote 0
I'll come back when I get bored with this. Eventually.

Meh, I don't do fantasy in any form (game, novel or movies) I just can't live in to it because I don't find it real enough.

I have 2 systems (one cost $980. - one cost $870.) playing it with slightly better FPS than above.
This is simply a game that does a lot and responds well to a fast, modern quad core CPU.
Try the Intel i5-2500kwhen you upgrade.

The truth is that this game probably has the highest polygon counts of any Unreal3 Engine based game ever made. This has exposed some limitations on the Unreal3 Engine. This is exacerbated by the fact that the game is only DX9, so all the draw calls for that high polygon count hit the same core of your CPU. If it were DX11, those draw calls would be distributed over all cores.

I have a Phenom II x6 at 4Ghz. I find my self CPU limited with this CPU on servers aove 25 or so players. It doesn't look like I am when I view the Task Manager though. The highest load I typically see is 35%, and none of the cores look pinned. This is - however - because the Windows 7 scheduler moves the tasks around from core to core very quickly to even the load. So one core is always pinned, but it moves around fast enough that it only looks like its at 65% or so at most, because you are seeing the average load of the update period.

Since I am CPU limited on this CPU, it doesn't matter what I set the graphics to. High or low, I still get the same frame rate due to the CPU limitation. The only thing that changes is GPU utilization.

I just received a brand new x79 motherboard and a Core i7-3930K yesterday though, so I am looking forward to trying them out this weekend when I have time.

Meanwhile, I still get good enough performance to play, it just isn't perfect. I have been playing some Civ 5 the last few days.

Quite frankly - however - what annoys me the most about this game is not the performance issues, but a combination of the relative lack of realism, and the players, who refuse to go after objectives, and just fall back and snipe instead.

It's so frustrating.

Upvote 0
I actually thought I would just wait for the game to turn good (new maps with no lockdown) but I doubt anyone will be playing it when that happens. Even now the playercount is very low and it seems it the game killed RO1 in it's process, I guess people don't like playing games that already have a sequel even when the sequel doesn't satisfy their needs, they'll just play something else then. TWI should just start with their next title, perhaps release some patches but no big updates anymore. They should save their money for something worthwhile.

Upvote 0
I still play it and get good performance from a mid range rig i5 gtx 460 and get a unstable 40-80 fps but, its very playable and if I turn off fps I don't even notice anything.I average 50-70 on most map so I'm happy with that.My complaints is not performance its basic gameplay design decisions like the choice of the devs to go from realistic loadouts in ro1 to the run and gun style of everyone has an automatic in ro2.

I still enjoy the game and its gameplay despite my gripes is hands above arcade shooters (bf3/mw3) for me anyway.I will play even more when mutated servers offer a more realistic load out for classes (bolts vs autos).Bringing the game play closer to OST which I still play.

Atm my time is being spent in the mountains of Skyrim after the new wears off I will come back to playing RO more.Still RO is my fps of choice Ost for historical accuracy and my rifleman/tactical game play fix.RO2 just for plain fun and, looking forward to the day I can get both from Ro2 then it will be my fps of choice.

Atm its split between Ost and HoS still not sure why TWI threw historical accuracy totally out the window for its sequel.To target a new audience of arcade type gamers is my guess which they already lost them to the new arcade games just released.

Upvote 0
With the list of bugs and the fact that the gameplay is 180 from what we expected, RO2 is nearly dead to me and my clan.

yea nearly. I'll still get on to play every few days or so, but it's not like the old times that's for sure. Hell it's not even like this past summer when Ost had a sort of Renaissance in anticipation of ROHoS.

Sometimes....ROHoS is fun. Like tonight was pretty fun for an hour or so.

But ROOst was more than fun. It was gripping. It was thrilling, absolutely engaging at it's best. TWI took a great game and made it into an OK game....and that's not talking about performance - that's simply based on the gameplay.

Upvote 0
... But ROOst was more than fun. It was gripping. It was thrilling, absolutely engaging at it's best. TWI took a great game and made it into an OK game....and that's not talking about performance - that's simply based on the gameplay.

I have to agree with this. ROOST was great and ROHOS is an ok game. Not talking about bugs or performance issues. Still hoping for adjustments because ROHOS has the potential to be a great game.

Upvote 0
For me, RO2 offers a great deal. The attention paid to delicate details like the textures, shading, architectural accuracy and the proper exhibition of such is amazing... a quantum leap from games of yesteryear.

The gameplay is absorbing and compels one to come back for more. The maps are excellent but as with all games, they're getting a bit too well known. The "adventure" aspect is gone. We certainly need more maps and goodies.

Repeat playability is definitely a plus with RO2 and bound to please even more as the game itself is enhanced by Tripwire.

I too, enjoyed RO1 but the time is here to embrace RO2 just as we did in the beginning when RO was a fledgling just getting started. Far too many seemingly have short memories. Just look at the improvements to RO as time went on.

RO2 deserves the very same considerations. Traditionally, Tripwire has given outstanding support. Their efforts to date with RO2 have been marvelous. In fact, I'm looking forward to the improvements and fun that is ahead of us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO2 deserves the very same considerations. Traditionally, Tripwire has given outstanding support. Their efforts to date with RO2 have been marvelous. In fact, I'm looking forward to the improvements and fun that is ahead of us.
RO2 does indeed deserve more patience, most people realise that the core game play has a stack of potential that at present is being heavily obfuscated by cloudy design decisions. There really is no need to reiterate the common issues here, there are plenty of other threads for that kind of thing.

It has been mentioned that the

Upvote 0
RO2 does indeed deserve more patience, most people realise that the core game play has a stack of potential that at present is being heavily obfuscated by cloudy design decisions. There really is no need to reiterate the common issues here, there are plenty of other threads for that kind of thing.

Agreed....

It has been mentioned that the

Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0
I Liked RO1, but I didn't discover it until relatively late. (I am disappointed I didn't hear of it sooner).

By the time I started playing RO1, I loved the gameplay, but the graphics were dated enough to really be bothersome and hamper my enjoyment of the game.

I'll almost always take good game play over graphics, but at a certain point the graphics become so old that they are seriously distracting. I found that to be the case in RO1 towards the end.

I was hoping for RO2 to have the gameplay of RO1 just with updated graphics. That - obviously - didn't happen, but I don't think its QUITE as bad as some make it out to be. There are many improvements. The movement and controls are a lot less clunky, and the new abilities to brace your weapon up against more objects than in RO1 are welcome. There is still a long way to go in this regard (like fixing the "can't prone here" issues stopping you from dropping behind something when being shot at when there is no reason you shouldn't be able to prone)

I was also hoping for better net code. Overall responsiveness and latencies were terrible in RO1. they are still bad in R02. maybe ever so slightly better (as long as a server isn't taxed to hard with a higher playercount than the CPU can handle, in which case it is worse).

Weapons could use some realism tweaks. (it's very frustrating to be PPSH sniped in the head - usually on grain elevator - from well above the effective range of a real PPSH, just to give an example. I feel the rank and achievement system is partially to blame for this. All weapons are too accurate at range while crouched, standing and moving. While in prone, at least the rifles seem almost OK.

If something can be done with the mechanics to discourage running and gunning, that might be ideal.

Client performance is still an issue, but I just upgraded to help with that.

the biggest problem by far - IMHO - are the players. It's very uncommon to play on a server with good teamwork, and player paying attention to the objective. The servers always seem split up between 4 groups.

1.) Absolute beginners who can't seem to figure anything out.

2.) Runners and gunners who are not interested in the objectives of the game and pay more attention to their Kills and K/D ratio. they will often choose classes that have automatic weapons, and then proceed to completely disregard what they are supposed to be doing (smoking strategic points, calling in artillery, etc.)

3.) Players who think they are doing their team a favor by falling back and sniping the opposing team, when they are really needed in the cap zones (the whole thinking they are doing their team a favor may just be a ruse, and they may just be more like the #2's, caring more about kills and K/D but stationary instead of moving)

4.) Players who actually care about playing the game to achieve the objectives and try to work together and get the team to work together, but usually just wind up getting frustrated at the other morons.

Anything that can be done to usher more people into category 4 (without the frustration part) would be very useful. #1 can be partially targeted through more and better documentation and training missions (maybe make completing the single player campaign, or at least part of it, and achievement needed in order to play multiplayer games? A drivers license of sorts?

#2 and #3 can maybe be solved by completely removing kill counts and K/D ratios out of the game. Track only team victories and defeats instead.

These are just some ideas that may help.

Also, I've said this before, but IMHO, relying on individual servers to tweak the game to their tastes from a realism etc. standpoint is not going to work. Without some level of standardization between servers it's just going to be a mess of confusing differences.

The best thing to do would be to introduce a new standard realism level where guns are tweaked to be less accurate and more realistic, and many of the rare weapons are just that, really rare, so it doesn't devolve into an SMG/Assault run and gun shoot out.

Just some thoughts.

I love this franchise of games too much to give up on it, but it could really use some tweaks.

Upvote 0
Time into playing the game is indicative of the playability and enjoyment factors one possesses. I have over 300 hours into RO2 and see no end in sight. I hope that you realize that all good things come with time. We clearly experienced that with RO. Time is the great healer.
Make no mistake, I dearly want RO2 to deliver at the very least what was demonstrated and touted in the months prior to its final release.

Upvote 0