• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Any Radeon 3850 users?

Yeah thanks Zetsumei ... I had no idea the 4000 series was this close to release. 45nm process and 480 pipes! WOW. I sure HOPE the price is pretty close to the 3850. Within 30-40 dollars anyway. In gfx cards, I sorta take a middle road approach. I want something fast, but not necessarily the fastest. I don't plan on buying Crysis in other words. Moderate power consumption and heat output are also factors. I tend to think of value as "fps per watt".

Sure my 7600 is OK...but I have to turn off HDR, and even then there are some maps I get sorta slow on. But overall for what I paid for it...its been a great bump over the 9600XT it replaced.

I just want to get a card I can play RO on ALL THE WAY UP and get solid 60 fps. And I'd like to be able to do the same thing with CoD4 as well. And DoD:S. And also...after 5 years of waiting....I'd like to turn up Combat Flight Simulator 3 up to all 5's and load in the 32-bit aircraft textures. (And then be albe to play it.)

Thanks again!
Who

Upvote 0
the 4000 series will use the same 55nm manufacturing process as the 3000 series i believe.

MSRP prices are thesame but the current 3XXX series are a bit under msrp at most stores. Nobody knows anything about the performance but when its this close its worth a wait. The first to release in may will probably be the 4850 about the 4870 it might be somewhere june.
Nvidia will probably come around july, atm its just a bad time to upgrade with price cuts and new hardware coming soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Had an X1300, it was rather slow but all I needed for older engine games like RO.

Then got a 1600. It was twice as fast as the X1300.

Now I also have a HD 3850 512 meg. Nice card. I can almost play Cryisis with all the stuff all the way up but it gets slow with lots of trees. At medium setting I can play Crysis just fine.

This card is overkill for my older games like RO, IL2, Homeworld 2 and VC2.

For Cryisis, COD4, HL2 and Stalker it is just the ticket and does not cost and is less than $200.

If I ever upgarde again, it will have to be my motherboard and CPU but Im set for a while with the worlds fastest single core CPU LOL.

All the multi core stuff out there is because Intel and AMD hit a roadblock regarding overheating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0