• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Another Beta opinion!

I disagree with the notion that soldiers don't run. Go into a firefight when your life is on the line. If you get shot at you run and you run fast, possibly faster than you ever have with the adrenaline pumping. The rifles, mgs, etc are already hard to use for most. What does making it even harder prove?

The problem with punishing people for running, with more sway etc., is that it promotes camping. Camping kills the game play for most FPS games. People who don't go for objectives, aren't killing enemies, and aren't generally making progress for the team get the advantage by sitting in a roof top staircase waiting for the enemy to appear.

Upvote 0
Like I said earlier, I don't think Tripwire will appreciate my OP as much as those of you who share my opinion and will probably see it only as a beta rant thread.

Oh well :(

I know what you're saying man a Dev was kind of rude to me when I asked why RO1 stuff changed took him a couple posts to answer PART of my question
(I hold no grudge)

but Devs are busy developing...err rather fixing the stuff they missed while developing

Personally I'm crossing my fingers for a "classic" config for servers in the near future.

Upvote 0
Forgive me of my indiscretion. But would it not be possible to import the settings or style of play from Red Orchestra as a Game Mode in RO2?

Are they not both built on the Unreal Engine?

Would that satisfy the concerns of the Hardcore community?

RO1 is unreal 2.5? and RO2 is "modified" unreal 3 I'm not sure how compatible they are

Upvote 0
After a good 4 to 5 hours with the beta....

I'm wondering how the game is going to handle when we're actually getting experience and ranking up and getting "better."

Reduce weapon sway? Stamina whatever? Scope up time? Run speed? We're going to get minor increases in these things as we level up....and I honestly already feel like, as a rank 1 beta player....I'm already fast! I already scope up super fast! Weapon sway? What's that?

I'm not a hardcore RO1 fan. In fact, RO1 was a little too hardcore for me. So I was expecting the shooting to be FAR more difficult than it currently feels. I expected a lot more challenges like your sway going crazy and you barely being able to move at all after running 300 yards. There are all these things in place and you can notice them going on...but they're not really affecting you. Are they going to affect us even less, to the point of not being there, by the time we rank up to heroes?

I'm not complaining and I'm really enjoying the game. I'm just surprised. I don't feel as challenged as I thought I would, coming from RO1. And I'm feeling like all the penalties for being a noob are too forgiving. I feel like as "good" as I am now should be the top of progression....not the bottom. We still have all the other weapons to use too.

Upvote 0
I disagree with the notion that soldiers don't run. Go into a firefight when your life is on the line. If you get shot at you run and you run fast, possibly faster than you ever have with the adrenaline pumping. The rifles, mgs, etc are already hard to use for most. What does making it even harder prove?

The problem with punishing people for running, with more sway etc., is that it promotes camping. Camping kills the game play for most FPS games. People who don't go for objectives, aren't killing enemies, and aren't generally making progress for the team get the advantage by sitting in a roof top staircase waiting for the enemy to appear.

dude even with adrenalin you're gonna be huffin and puffin after that sprint, it didnt promote camping in RO1 (or as I like to call it "tactical waiting":p) or as its better known as "defending" that's basically your "camping" in an area you want to keep the enemy out of

Upvote 0
Isn't the Unreal Engine 3 an evolution of the 2.5 engine?

*I am not a video game developer or programmer. So if someone is more knowledgeable in this avenue. Please enlighten me.

I would say yes?

"yes?" because I'm not a programmer either but a similar name or a later version doesn't necessarily mean any similarities or patterns but its likely that there is.

I'm guessing you've never shopped for video cards?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Off topic but I went off to youtube to look for DoD videos and found this:
darkest of days gameplay - good quality - YouTube
Not bloody lane but despite the graphics it the only game that I know that offers 'battles of the line'...

BAB Line Battle, 18 Feb 2011 - Map 1 - YouTube

NO this is a proper "battle of the line" aka Line Battle

From the Mount and Musket mod of Mount and Blade: Warband

Note that all the characters in game are player controlled, funnest times a have on my Sundays.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like I said earlier, I don't think Tripwire will appreciate my OP as much as those of you who share my opinion and will probably see it only as a beta rant thread.

Oh well :(

We read and appreciate all kinds of threads, some others we appreciate less. I like how you voiced your opinion in a likable fashion, not everyone has that skill.

Reactions: NightriderAOF
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Putting my neck on the line a bit here, I've not really posted any kind of opinion on these forums regarding the Beta of RO2 but the more I think about the game the more some issues are playing on my mind. Feel free to disagree with me, down-vote the thread, and throw personal insults. This is just my opinion, which happens to be shared by some others, and I hope TW at least note my points without thinking I'm here to bash their hard work.

I'm a long-time player of Red Orchestra, I bought Unreal Tournament back in 2004 specifically to play the mod way before retail release of Ostfront - and I've loved the series to death since.

The one thing that undoubtedly made RO appeal to people was its realism, and I'm pleased to see many realistic factors added to RO2. I love that weapons handle more realistically now, and there are extra features like bandaging and bleed-outs. RO1's take on weapon performance was always a little too hardcore and ironically, unrealistic - think about the inaccurate MG's, massive recoil-pitching on SMG's and Semi's, and the very slow reload times for all weapons. But it didn't matter, the fact it was hard convinced people it must be realistic - and to be fair it was far more realistic than anything else available on the gaming market. It was a slow, tense affair in which a players' brain-power counted for as much, if not more, than point and click ability.

Smiling then, as I found the weapons to behave much better and more importantly more believably realistic in RO2. But then all of a sudden, a smile is replaced with a frown as silly features such as never-ending ironsights stability and weapon readiness speed have been implemented into what SHOULD be a life-like game. I wouldn't mind so much but these things drastically alter gameplay, and the devs who have been bashing CoD kids for so long have changed the very core of what made RO1 great.

Speed. It's what is for me, spoiling my experience thus far in RO2. Running around like an athlete with full kit until absolutely shattered with heavy breathing, but then being able to bring up very steady ironsights with slow and relaxed breathing is a fine example of what I'm getting at. The rate at which you can raise your weapon after sprinting is almost instantaneous and encourages rushing at any opportunity without the need to think too much. Reload times are fine, and are a vast improvement on RO1 - but other areas where speed and NON-fluidity matter are taking us away from realistic behaviour and is giving us a Call of Duty saga where running and gunning is the name of the game. Where's the clumsiness? Panic? Fatigued weapon handling? Why are we all apparently athletic super-humans who can hold a heavy weapon seemingly forever with next to no sway?

Don't get me wrong, RO2 has a LOT of potential, but there's a lot of the game that just isn't realistic and has altered gameplay quite significantly. I'm not one of these people who doesn't like the zoom feature, or the fact weapons are now accurate as they should be, but the overall pace of the game is simply too fast. Some aspects seem to have been over-complicated - the map for example is now awash with real-time information, and the Key with all map icons is almost as big as the map itself - WHY? Why have all of these icons when all you need do is keep it real simple? The mini-map is also realtime and has for me, served little or no purpose except to confuse me into thinking it's the RO1 compass and has me looking for a compass point to tell my friends the direction the enemy is coming from.

The scoreboard is also a mess, and in my (admittedly, simple) mind looks like a bit of a cluster**** of letters and colours. It says a lot when a scoreboard designed almost 8 years ago provides information faster, and in a way that is easily read. Other features like 'Lock-Down' really destroy the fluidity of gameplay and gives the attacking team an often impossible task. Having to attack the dug-in defending enemy, needing to take two caps within 5 minutes is very harsh and simply ends in entire rounds lasting 5 minutes! Surely nobody wants to see a feature like this? It doesn't encourage the attackers to attack - somebody got it wrong.

Still, I'm happy with the base of RO2 - it's damn pretty, the models and animations look great, you can still down an enemy at hundreds of yards with a rifle-round, and it has atmosphere. The audio is top-notch and is a huge improvement on the original game, the voice acting is good and bugs aside, RO2 on the whole is impressive.

I hope beyond everything that TWI realises they can further improve upon the game without deterring newbies who have only experienced arcade-like shooters, and make some tweaks to the gameplay which brings back a little more of the feel RO1 gave us.

I havn't forgotten this is a Beta, but I hope TWI havn't forgotten what made them so popular in the first place. It's great you're able to make the game the way you want it, but it'd be nice if you'd consider the thousands of loyal fans at the same time.

Hats off to you guys for giving me 7 years of gaming heaven, I really hope this game will eventually give me the same.

*awaits masses of down-votes* :D

I agree with what you said.

My one major complaint thus far is that you can carry two weapons and a **** load of ammo and you really arent penalized for it. Granted you run slower and have less stamina but still something about it just doesnt sit right with me.

I can grab an SMG and a rifle and be the ultimate soldier. Go indoors pull out youre SMG until you find a camping spot. Then pull out your rifle and go to town. Not only that but you can carry a **** load of ammo with you.

Something about that kills the realism for me. One of my friends was showing me pics of him in Iraq and he was carrying a m240 and a m16, so I understand some soldiers will have two weapons, but by and far you only carry one weapon. If its rare now-a-days, I honestly doubt it happened much in WW2. I honestly cant remember seeing a soldier with both a MG and a SMG, or with a SMG and a rifle.

I really perfer the one weapon per player, this way you can get a nice complement between the different classes and the combat is more fluid.

Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0