• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

American Civil War Mod.

Richard

Dec 14, 2009
Seriously. This should be done.

Whenever someone says American Civil War, everyone associates it with "one shot per minute", which obviously, is not true.
A good soldier can fire a few musket rounds a minute, and they're were plenty of other weapons. The 1862 Henry rifle, a 15-round lever action .44 black power rifle used by the Union. The Derringers, the Colt Dragoon Revolver, the Sharps rifle, Colt revolving rifle, Colt 1851 Navy Revolver, and theModel 1832 Foot artillery sword are just some.
A large list can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_in_the_American_Civil_Warhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_in_the_American_Civil_War

But there are only like, what? Five games based on the Civil War?
Who else agrees?

Also, the pace of the game would really fit with Red Orchestra, moderate speed and a cover system while you're reloading.

Last edited:
There are way more interesting theatres than the American civil war.
Seriously, why are Americans allways so self important? :p
Let him make one, if he wants to.
Whenever someone says Civil War, everyone associates it with "one shot per minute", which obviously, is not true.
I always associate it with 3-5 shots per minute.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When people say Civil war, the first thing that comes to mind is the Spanish Civil War. America isn't the center of the universe. Spanish Civil war would actually fit in so much better with RO:HoS as it was 1936-1939 with many Soviet and German weapons, tanks and vehicles.
Yeah, I meant when someone mentions American Civil War, and, usually, in the context of weaponry or games. Sorry if I was not clear on that.

Upvote 0
a Spanish Civil War mod would be very cool and spot on with content going into HOS, but i think the reason why he suggested American Civil War is because of its uniqueness in world history in general as it can be considered the first "modern" war. non-Americans, no need to come in trolling about sterotypical Americans....the title cleary states "American Civil War" and not just "Civil War" and that should be enough to tell you to keep away if you don't like the idea. ;)

That History Channel Civil War game was aweful....remember there being a gatling gun on literally EVERY map?!?!:eek::D I think there was a Battlefield 1863 mod years ago and that kinda sucked. The only cool thing about that Darkest of Days game (just....a bad game) was the ACW weapons. Being a huge ACW buff, i'd love to see a quality ACW fps game/mod.

Upvote 0
I agree with Bswearer. It clearly says American Civil War. Funny how you Europeans claim we are "self centered", yet you do the same. ;)

It would be nice if there was a good game made for it.

That being said, I am not interested in this conflict. I am not interested in the weapons or time period that much.

IMO, I would not like pre-WWI stuff.

I'd much rather see a Korean, Vietnam, or one of Israel's Wars in the 50-70s. Or another conflict around that time period.

Upvote 0
no worries lemon i imagined you were just being sarcastic.....the "self important thing" was just lumped in with the following post from lyosha at "america is center of universe yaadda yadda".....just hopefully stopping serious attacks before they start ;)

ACW would be really cool, but as seen with other games that tried to use that time period, its a tough sell in a market that wants fast paced cqc, fps games....granted you make it right, it could be attractive.

has anyone made a Spanish Civil War thread yet? cause that is another great idea for a mod type

Upvote 0
I think an American Civil War mod would be great fun, (and I'm an Australian, I'm in between both Europeans and Americans) I'd love to man a Gatling gun, Jose Wales style! haha ;) I'd also love a Napoleonic era mod too. Oh and a Spanish Civil War mod would also rock, and be pretty easy to do, basically just consist of maping, a few new textures and models, maybe a weapon or two... where is the Spanish RO community at? Now's your chance to shine hombres!

Upvote 0
IMHO, alot of the pre-modern wars don't carry well to video games because they were usually fought en-masse.. therefore I don't think they would carry well to a FPS perspective as it's generally shown.

I'm sure there were plenty of small-unit operations that did occur (I'm no expect), but a 16v16 version of Antietam would totally miss the feel of the real battle imo. (for those non-A.C.W. knowledgeable, it was the bloodiest single day battle of American history, with 23+k causalities)

Yes, I have an idea of how you COULD do it, and I'm surprised no one has done it yet (that I know of). No, I'm not going to tell you.

Obviously this would also apply to anything of a similar ilk, like Napoleon's wars, etc.

Upvote 0
could apply an ARMA2 style with all the added AI bots.....that would help create the more accurate representation of the massive ammounts of soldiers involved during battles. but you're right, in the few ACW fps games i've played, they all end up looking like a COD single player misison, just with muskets, sabers and revolvers, which means absolutely nothing like what really happened lol.

of course could take the angle of maybe using single player missions that revolved around other events that weren't just the massive battles. perhaps the smaller raids by Mosby's raiders, or maybe the sercret assassination plans against Lincoln or Davis.....there's a lot of cool things that happened during the ACW besides the major battles like Gettysburg, Manassas, Shiloh etc....

Upvote 0
I like the sound of this. Of course you could only really concentrate on the small skirmishes rather than the huge Gettysburg style battles but it would be still be enjoyable. I envisage battles around farms and through corn fields :D

A good example of what to aim for would be the Battlegrounds MOD which is set in the American War of Independence that has has muskets and line battles, obviously set a while before the Civil War but it would probably play the same.

YouTube - Battle Grounds 2 Line Battle : Bayonet Charge

Upvote 0