• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ambush spawning for japan

emcdunna

Apr 19, 2015
I find the gameplay to be very realistic, and all-round awesome but I believe it's no secret that Japan needs a bit of a boost. My last 20 games in rising storm I played as Japan, yet we won maybe once.

My idea is that Japan could have an ambusher class, their bonus would be to spawn in better spots (spider holes, trees, etc.). This would allow players to disrupt attacks by surprise ambushes from the enemy's rear.

What's so hard about walking up behind them? Easy to ambush people without anything already spawning you behind them.

On half the maps the Japanese are disguised as bushes anyway.

Japanese don't need a boost either. Hell I only got the achievment for winning the campaign as the Americans abiut 5 days ago. Got the Japan one ages before.

Upvote 0
I don't think Japan needs a boost. In my experience one side wins about as often as the other (except for a couple of maps) and it all comes down to which side has the better team that day. It's also been my experience that the Japanese team tends to attract better, more experienced players while the American team tends to fill up quickly with newer and less experienced players.

Upvote 0
axis is perfectly fine hell just yesterday on a full server axis won a new campaign in about 40mins give or take 5 maps in that much time is pretty impressive we took Guadalcanal without arty our secret big *** banzai charges

besides if you want to ambush them just sneak around the flanks its pretty easy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They did add fully working spider holes, but removed them at the last second for whatever reason.

Maybe if Japan got a boost it would stop people instantly defaulting to Allies because 'Murica.

Indeed, I saw that too in the editor. I've been dreaming about making a Shuri Castle map and add these to the map. So cool to simply pop out of the grass and shoot or stab them in the back. :D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgS6-19hS64

This is the World at War version. Generally not bad but the gate at the beginning is quite a bit more away from the castle.
I've been thinking about rebuilding it for RS, any chance to get the spiderholes working?

Upvote 0
So cool to simply pop out of the grass and shoot or stab them in the back. :D
Wouldn't spider holes cause some serious map balancing problems though. On kawajania or how ever its spelt if japs could spawn in the spider holes behind A wouldn't that give them a slight unfair map advantage. You've moved up to B your teams starting to form a line then a few assault troops spawn behind you and there goes your entire offensive line. However if the spider holes were made into two way trench's both allies and axis could use them and they both lead to behind the other teams line I could see that being pretty neat and fair. Just need to make the tunnel and add a ladder inside of the spider hole and done.

also shuri castle would be nice

Upvote 0
Wouldn't spider holes cause some serious map balancing problems though. On kawajania or how ever its spelt if japs could spawn in the spider holes behind A wouldn't that give them a slight unfair map advantage. You've moved up to B your teams starting to form a line then a few assault troops spawn behind you and there goes your entire offensive line. However if the spider holes were made into two way trench's both allies and axis could use them and they both lead to behind the other teams line I could see that being pretty neat and fair. Just need to make the tunnel and add a ladder inside of the spider hole and done.

also shuri castle would be nice

Well, the spiderholes are a small box underground, you get in there and wait until you believe it time to get out. You can't spawn inside.

Shuri Castle was actually always my dream, however I lacked mapping experience and also the machine to get this built. After my exams I get a good machine which will allow me to finally get going on my mapping dreams. Shuri Castle is definitely one of them.

Upvote 0
Let me clarify: I play on territory realism campaigns where there's about 5-10 humans on each team and around 20 bots on each team. Often I find that the Americans get 8 humans while Japan has around 5, which is a big disadvantage when compared to bots.

Maybe the problem isn't with Japan but with how humans prefer America over Japan and the teams are always unbalanced.

Upvote 0
They did add fully working spider holes, but removed them at the last second for whatever reason.

they removed them because the americans camped the spider holes for easy kills, and the japs kept spawning in them to try and get behind the americans. Maybe an option to temp-disable spawning if the americans are within a proximity, which would make it harder for spawn rape to occur without bad map design

Upvote 0
Let me clarify: I play on territory realism campaigns where there's about 5-10 humans on each team and around 20 bots on each team. Often I find that the Americans get 8 humans while Japan has around 5, which is a big disadvantage when compared to bots.

Maybe the problem isn't with Japan but with how humans prefer America over Japan and the teams are always unbalanced.

No offense intended, but playing with that many bots is always going to be an unsatisfactory experience. This game just isn't optimized for AI.

Upvote 0
No offense intended, but playing with that many bots is always going to be an unsatisfactory experience. This game just isn't optimized for AI.

it's not optimization that's at fault its the way they're coded, they problem is that all the variables they encounter are influenced directly or indirectly by available cover and bot paths...

Upvote 0
they removed them because the americans camped the spider holes for easy kills, and the japs kept spawning in them to try and get behind the americans. Maybe an option to temp-disable spawning if the americans are within a proximity, which would make it harder for spawn rape to occur without bad map design

a better fix would be to give japanese that are in an objective that's been taken grandfathered immunity to spawn protection killing by the server.

Upvote 0
a better fix would be to give japanese that are in an objective that's been taken grandfathered immunity to spawn protection killing by the server.

that works fine, as long as there isn't a sweeping advance. Otherwise you risk people falling through gaps in spawn protection and getting left behind the battle, as once happened to me on phosphate plant, where the SL was spawning us in a position where we couldn't even walk into the back of the allied spawn because of spawn protection :(

Upvote 0
that works fine, as long as there isn't a sweeping advance. Otherwise you risk people falling through gaps in spawn protection and getting left behind the battle, as once happened to me on phosphate plant, where the SL was spawning us in a position where we couldn't even walk into the back of the allied spawn because of spawn protection :(
hey, you gotta make sure the area is clear before you move up :)

Upvote 0
spawning on trees is a good idea and should be in the game.

Japanese soldiers did hide in trees very often, so its realistic. Maybe only japanese rifleman can spawn on a tree
(just a few trees are a spawnpoint on the map, of course their location is random like the fixed MG position is random now)

If you want to leave the tree you should be able to go down, but you cant go up again.

Upvote 0