• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Alternate DLC suggestions

Sammers

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2009
Scotland
Anyone on these forums will have no doubt noticed by now, that a lot of people have a problem with TWI releasing gameplay-altering paid DLC. I am among those who disagree with it, though I respect the fact that TWI have every right to do it if they decide to; just that my issue was their promise not to and by breaking this promise, they have left me a tad demoralised.

Though that's enough of my whining. I have observed that everyone who has been upset by it have done very little other than complain, so here is a thread that will hopefully provide some more constructive feedback and not just endless nerd rage. TWI are professionals and I have faith that they want to keep as much of the playerbase as happy as possible, so maybe there's a fraction of a chance they might want to do something to restore faith to the recently upset. They may not act upon these suggestions, but I'd hope they will at least read and hopefully reply.

I'll start off by acknowledging that the DLC is now here to stay, regardless of what happens. There is no way to undo it's release short of refunding everyone who has bought it(not happening). Though people wont share my opinions, the reason I personally dislike this form of DLC is that it simply splits the 'haves' and 'have nots' by their wallets, leaving some of the gameplay of KF purely available through paying money; something TWI had promised us that they would not do to us.

I have no quarrel with releasing weapons for money, per se, provided there are ways to at least earn these weapons for free. Thus, I would have far preferred this to have been an early access release(an idea I threw out on the News Threads and got a few positive replies). I'm not saying you just give us these weapons out of the blue, merely that there are free methods of obtaining them.

1)Simple, bog standard early release. The weapons are released for free at a later date. Since you can't just spring that on the paying players at any recent time, I would be very happy if you just gave them out free even a year into the future. For me, it would still be free content, leaving a good enough reason to still pay.

2)Having them earnable through achievements or extensive playthrough. TF2 does it; it merely leaves the paying option as a shortcut. Something I'm personally totally cool with. Items earned are a lot more rewarding than items bought. Hell, even make it incredibly difficult. Like, incredibly difficult! Something for players to strive towards, because I see a lot of high level perks just casually cruising through the easier difficulties.

3)Event rewards. Essentially, the same as 2, only with small timeframes to earn them in. So long as there's at least a tiny window for them to be earned, it would greatly restore my faith. Hopefully some other players' too.

Kind of surprised that nobody else has made an ideas&suggestions thread about this. I'm expecting the usual "You should be greatful and pay for things" replies, but in the end; it's not about the money. I just dislike that the only way anybody will ever be able to enjoy those 4 weapons is by them or their friends shelling out money. The tiniest windows of opportunity to earn them rather than buy them would honestly make me so happy and TWI would get to keep their promise, as we'd never really be forced to buy anything. There would just be a lot of advantages to do so. And people that are very desperate to contribute funds can still just buy them anyway. Everyone is happy.

Edit: "Forced to buy" is probably a poor choice of words. Hopefully, you'll understand that I kind of mean content that's only exclusively available via paid DLC. But to reiterate, as long as it's free to gain at some point, I would not mind how many advantages you create by paying for weapons.

Last edited:
I'm really on the fence when it comes to hating the paid DLC weapons or not. Though I'm happy with buying them cos, well... I can. And I do want them. I don't think that I'll ever be missing out on getting any packs when they're released, buying something for

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i like the buyable weapon dlc idea personally it allows twi to add additional weapons on top of the update weapons and if people dont like it they dont have to buy it but i also like your suggestion to make them earnable through achievements

TWI did promise they wouldn't charge for content though :/

But yeah, I would be way happy if they had it very difficult to earn and leave good enough reason to buy it if you want to support them or want a shortcut.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
To quote someone else as they said it better then I would have.

Simply dismissing the feedback TWI is receiving over the Community Weapon Pack DLC as whining is not constructive. TWI went on record to pledge that it would not release gameplay altering DLC. It has gone against that pledge while arguing that it is in fact not their content, this is at best disingenuous.

Your so-called complainers have voiced their dissatisfaction with this turn of events and hope that TWI is able to restructure its experiment to better fit the vision they purported to have for the game. We all want to see this old dog of a game continue to entertain us(and net TWI more success), some of us view the paywall placed around these stat based weapons as a detriment toward that goal.

Upvote 0
To quote someone else as they said it better then I would have.

That quote is referring to "gameplay altering DLC", not that "TW promised they wouldn't charge for content" (as suggested by the person who started this thread).

To be honest, I don't mind paying for content or community weapon packs. I think modders should have the option to get paid.

Upvote 0
I have not found the original official statement wherein Tripwire outlined their DLC business model with the Heavy Metal update. I think this quote from Yoshiro will have to do http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21375852&postcount=72

Back on topic, I agree that it is near impossible to place this new DLC model back in the bottle. I like your suggestion to make the weapons available through an achievement process or via purchase although TWI would need to expend energy to ensure they can keep people from simply bypassing the system via SAM or the like.

I also think TWI could go through and add exact equivalents to the paid weapons. There might be some backlash from those who have paid for the weapon DLC, but other games have released previously paid content for free and survived.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The achievements are a good idea but what about this:

People requested for level 7-10

Make them and each time you raise another level , you got the weapons for your perk available in the shop for free.

The "paid dlc" can still be an alternative for causuals players who can't achieve those levels or to have them more "quickly"

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Thanks FDRs.

@Daguer,

Not a bad idea I suppose :) but still not ideal, some people complain about perks being hard to level as it is. Commando's stalker count and support's welding. Heck, even Medic is a drag at higher levels. Start taking it to level 10 and we have people who get frustrated just hack the perks. It'll be a balancing act.

Upvote 0
I have no quarrel with releasing weapons for money, per se, provided there are ways to at least earn these weapons for free.

When you own a company, have to make payroll, and turn a profit, you feel free to release weapon packs any way you choose.

I just dislike that the only way anybody will ever be able to enjoy those 4 weapons is by them or their friends shelling out money

Whaa. Really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The achievements are a good idea but what about this:

People requested for level 7-10

Make them and each time you raise another level , you got the weapons for your perk available in the shop for free.

The "paid dlc" can still be an alternative for causuals players who can't achieve those levels or to have them more "quickly"

Thoughts?

How does you powerleveling your perk pay TWI's employees?

Upvote 0
When you own a company, have to make payroll, and turn a profit, you feel free to release weapon packs any way you choose.

Whaa. Really.
Since you seem too lazy to click the link, let me paste it here for you:"Long story short, we will never charge for "required" content such as maps or weapons unless we do something like a full expansion pack. The characters were a (now successful) experiment to see if we could help offset the costs of doing those free updates." - Yoshiro

How long do you intend to keep your company in business if your customers can't take you at your word? The events themselves are a pure marketing gimmick to get more people to buy the game. From all accounts the skin packs have been a huge success for TWI.

Everyone in this thread has so far been constructive in critiquing possible solutions for what seems to be an experiment gone awry. You enter only to insinuate that people are being petulant children, grow up.

How does you powerleveling your perk pay TWI's employees?

How about by ensuring that a community remains dedicated to cranking out gameplay hours new players feel confident that their purchase will have some lasting value (see Section 8 or Brink for counter examples)? I have had friends from other steam games ask about Killing Floor cause they saw me playing it, and actually made a purchase in part because I praised it so highly.

What is the numerical value on those sales? I'm not sure, but if you can maintain that demographic, it supplements the customers who buy the game simply to blast zombies for an evening and will never touch the game again.

Upvote 0
How long do you intend to keep your company in business if your customers can't take you at your word?

I haven't seen how TWI has broken their word. They've provided dozens of weapons ABSOLUTELY FREE. From what I understand, TWI paid that other company for the weapons in the DLC. By PAYING a THIRD PARTY SUPPLIER, more weapons that people are always screaming about were added to the game. But that isn't good enough. The content HAS TO BE FREE or those people who scream about new weapons in every other post will now scream about having to pay for those weapons.

From what I've seen, TWI has done nothing wrong and they haven't broken their word.

Everyone in this thread has so far been constructive in critiquing possible solutions for what seems to be an experiment gone awry. You enter only to insinuate that people are being petulant children, grow up.

There has been no "constructive critiquing" here. Just someone else saying "GIVE ME FREE STUFF." You do understand that was what the OP was asking for. He wants free DLCs. That's it. As far as I'm concerned, the experiment was a HUGE success. Everyone wants additional content, and TWI was able to take a third party's work, make it professional, balance it into the game, and charge a small price. Win/win for everyone.

I'm doing more than insinuating. I'm almost 100% positive I've used the phrase "petulant children" in a few of my posts about people whining.

You want me to take you seriously? Come up with a better argument than "I want a free path to a DLC everyone else has to pay for." Content costs money and time. If you have the requisite amount of both, then you build and add content to KF to your heart's content.

How about by ensuring that a community remains dedicated to cranking out gameplay hours new players feel confident that their purchase will have some lasting value (see Section 8 or Brink for counter examples)? I have had friends from other steam games ask about Killing Floor cause they saw me playing it, and actually made a purchase in part because I praised it so highly.

And? TWI has provided maps, models, weapons, chars, perks, balancing, and so on for free. FREE. FREE. FREE.

You do understand that TWI is a company. A company that has to pay employees. A company that has to turn a profit. A company has to husband their resources to stay competitive.

All TWI owes you is the product that you purchase at the time you purchase it. They don't owe you a thing afterwards.

What is the numerical value on those sales? I'm not sure, but if you can maintain that demographic, it supplements the customers who buy the game simply to blast zombies for an evening and will never touch the game again.

Again , you are forgetting everything TWI has done up to this point. And what TWI hasn't given away for free, they've supplemented the FREE CONTENT with incredibly cheap skins that aren't required.

TWI is going as far as allowing people who haven't purchased the DLC to still use the DLC. If someone drops a flare pistol, someone who hasn't purchased the DLC can pick it up. How generous is that? VERY generous. TWI has been EXTREMELY GENEROUS is providing FREE CORE GAMEPLAY and they have done it here as well.

So I ask again, "How does you powerleveling your perk pay TWI's employees?"

All the OP wants is FREE content. That's what 100% of the complaining is about. People want content and they want it FREE. Life doesn't work like that.

Upvote 0
You do understand that TWI is a company. A company that has to pay employees. A company that has to turn a profit. A company has to husband their resources to stay competitive.

ALL REPUBLICAN LIES! Companies don't need to make money to stay alive, they can just wait for the Government to save them! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, good post. If only we had some kind of green button I could click to imply that I liked or agreed with it. :[

Upvote 0