• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Allowing for heroism........

snakedude24

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2006
Well, I was playing on Lyeskrovy today with a new KAS guy (still in training), and by accident he showed me something that would be awesome if implemented.

We were capping the Comm Bunker, and DukNCover saw a grenade tossed in, and he - in a moment of insanity - flung himself to prone on the grenade, presumably to save me. It didn't work, of course, and he apologized sheepishly over VoIP a couple seconds later.

But he got me thinking - what if our men could toss themelves on grenades in order to save a room full of teammates?

It would encourage teamplay, and also give you an immersive sense of being there and actually putting a value on your teammates' lives - essentially, encouraging the mode of thinking that says "That guy behind me - I can save him," instead of the current system, which is basically "OMG, lol, we're dead!!!!?!!!one!!!!"

I know that I, for one, would often sacrifice myself for the good of the team, and I bet a lot of other people would have too. After all, DukNCover did, didn't he?

I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but I personally enjoy the idea that our team would be bonded when one guy, in a selfless act, saves 4 of his teammates.

After all, at the heart of it, isn't Red Orchestra a team based game?

Problem with individual shrapnel is that it adds to the server load.

What I am proposing here is basically the grenade asks itself - is a Player on top of me?

If yes, kill him, but no one else.

If no, proceed as normal.

That shouldn't add much server load..... I think. It would be great to get a dev in here and comment on whether or not it is possible.

Upvote 0
i heard some storries of canadian soldiers doing that in the pacific theatre to save the lives of their comerades in arms, i know that was possible to do in mohaa, i did it a few times there to save some buddies. i would however, REALLY LIKE to see it in ro. i know i would jump on the nade if it was a roomfulla guys on the line...

Upvote 0
This reminds me of somthing similar that was in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

In ET you could go prone on an airstrike smoke grenade marker to block the smoke. If you jumped on it quick enough the airstrike wouldn't land.

Some stuff like this would be interesting, and I would love to see it, but I believe we may need to think a little more about how to implement it, cause I can see ten people in the room diving at the same grenade too, lol.

Upvote 0
This is a lot like the throw/kick nades back argument. It sounds good, and would be fun sometimes, but a lot of people would just do it for the hell of it and then get themselves killed. Whether or not you give points for it, entire rooms full of people would dive for the nade beacuse, its just a game, so theres really no reason not to.

Upvote 0