• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Afrika Campaign Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks polygon!

Some of you may have trouble with that domain coz it has ads on it before redirecting you...i didn't want to buy a domain until a name is finalised.

As Bret said use: http://www.c3ll.net/dirtyrats_sewer/index.htm

The discussions are going well atm, just kicking off about weapons and vehicles used...we need some more research for mappers in particular.

I'm working on the Design Doc atm, to keep us all on the straight and narrow, and most importantly - focused :)

Upvote 0
Here's a quick rough outline of the weapons that the Brits should have - if you need a checklist feel free to use it.

Regular (Strelok) - Lee Enfield No1 Mk III, Mills Bombs
Submachine-gunner (Avtomatchik) - Thompson M1928 (NOT THE M1A1)/Sten Mk II, Mills Bombs
Gunner (Pulmetchik) - Bren Mk I, Webley Pistol, Mills Bombs
Marksman (Sniper) - Enfield L42A1/Scoped Lee Enfield No1 Mk III, Webley Pistol, Mills Bombs
Lieutenant (Komandir Otelyndia [sp?]) - Thompson M1928/Sten Mk II, Webley Pistol, Mills Bombs, Binoculars, Officer's Stick (for that humiliation kill)
Sapper (Saper) - Sten Mk II, Satchel Charges, Mills Bombs
Tank Commander (Komandir Tanka) - Sten Mk II, Webley Pistol, Mills Bombs, Binoculars
Tank Crewman (Epiazh Tanka) - Webley Pistol, Mills Bombs, Binoculars
Anti Tank Rifleman (PT-Soldat) - Boys AT rifle, Webley Pistol, Grenades

Upvote 0
SgtH3nry3 said:
Personally I think the name: "Burning Sands: Afrikafeldzug 40-43" would be more fitting.
Afrika front sounds so stupid, almost like a Ostfront rip-off...
"Burning Sands", I like that name - even for a subtitle.

Remember Gibson's advice to mod teams in this interview ;)

GI: What advice would you give young up and coming modders who want to emulate what you’ve achieved?
Gibson: This is something that I’m amazed that other people haven’t learned yet, but it’s killing the mod scene. They gotta stop releasing stuff before it’s ready for the public to see. It’s so hard because you work on a mod for a year, year and a half. It’s very unthanking work when the public hasn’t seen it yet. It’s very hard to be motivated. It’s difficult because you want to show the world want you’re doing.
What happens – and I learned this on other mods – you release a buggy alpha, no matter how good your ideas are, no matter how original they are, no matter how fun your concept is, if your execution is poor, you’ve left a dirty taste in the mouths of every fan that will ever try your game again. So many mods are doing this.
I’ve recently started downloading a bunch of Half-Life 2 mods because I’m heavily into the scene, and I was amazed that even some of the more popular ones were terribly unpolished. As hard as it is, they need to buckle down, take another four or five months, and get the thing up to a beta before they release it to the public. Because then what’s going to happen is if they’ve got an original concept, all of their fans aren’t going to be run off by their buggy, incomplete and semifunctional gameplay.
We waited very long to release Red Orchestra. Even as complete as Red Orchestra was when we released it, two and a half years later we still hear people say on forums when we’re talking about the retail game, “Oh, I tried the first beta of Red Orchestra and it was really buggy and I never tried it again.” Even though a year and a half development happened after that, all of those bugs are squashed, the game became very polished, that still bites us in the rear. So that’s my one piece of advice to modders. Please listen to that. Please do not release a buggy, partially finished alpha because you’re only hurting yourself and you’re hurting your team by doing that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.