• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Advanced Scoring (point system)

You fail to see the light, Zetsumei. You have to get out of your constricted view of what a "good" player is. In a team based game, the "good" player is the one that performs the task that is required of him. Whether it requires him to be in the capzones, killing at will or sitting back covering a single exit that prevents the enemy from flanking and taking out the entire team....
Rambo's die so they do not help the team. ....
Perhaps Rambo was a bad metaphor. By Rambo, I meant the guy that got 90% of the kills on his team, or capped all the objectives, was everywhere all time, etc. He was the "topgun". ie.. by your definition, the "best" player on the other team

If a player only kills the last person what has he been doing the entire match? Even if he makes the most important final kill, if he's done nothing the entire match he's not much of a help towards his team.
That is an assumption you are making. As in my opening paragraph, what if his job was to keep one area of the teams flanks clear. Suppose he effectively shuts that area down by killing the one or two enemy that try to slip through? He lets his other teammates tend to other tasks. You are assuming his low score was not beneficial to the team. Perhaps you have a different paradigm of what makes good teamwork from others? Thus my question..."How is the 'best' determined?" By whose paradigm?

The reason why I think spotters are not useful is because there is a limited amount of classes. Sure you.......
Read between the lines ;) You've taken my use or your quote out of context. Why you think spotters are not useful was not what I was taking issue with. It was to point out that for you spotters are not that useful in the game. Others may think otherwise. I was (attempting) to use it in correlation with the problem of stating what the "best" player should be.

For instance defending should pretty much be equally rewarded as capping.
Now we're getting somewhere ;) And suppose the guy with one kill was told to watch the last cap and defend it with his dying breath? Did he not win the game for his team? Did he not perform his assignment? Isn't it nice that he was willing to let all the others get the glory of the kills/min, the points for objectives, the high scores and that he let them be the "best".

That analytics or statistics class is wearing on your brain, Zets :p Think outside the box...... :cool:

Upvote 0
Scenarios differ with RO as compared to whatever stat based kill/death ratio weapons jaw aching other games we compare it to.

The RO scoring system has some good points that need a small tweak here and there.

Reward should go to teamplayers who support their teams advance or defence.

In regards to the statement that the sniper is merely the designated marksman and thus wont need dedicated support.....I have to wonder why not?

Is it based on the mapsize as perceived by some?.....or is it just a case of nah, we dont really need mutual support roles in a team based game?
Cant see the reason why a game that advocates teamplay wouldnt succeed with supporting roles for both the mg and the sniper/ "dedicated marksman"

The aim of any suggested changes should be keeping things simple and easy for everyone to follow.

My basic and simple suggestions are

No more five points for resupply......the mg team are dedicated and self sufficient in this regard.

Reward the sniper stroke "dedicated marksman" team and the mg team with cap points if they're out of the capzone.

Allow the squad leader a choice of weaponry........open all the smgs/semis and let him choose whatever his poison may be.

If you participate in your teams advance or defence then you are entitled to points.........so you either choose an assault role or a support role...and you get rewarded either way.

Upvote 0
Thing is you cannot define all scenarios within a score system. Yes in a clan based scenario you indeed often send a guy to watch some rarely used passage just to make sure its clear. But you cannot expect random strangers to work and delegate tasks to each other. A point system is there to encourage people to play in a certain way the devs want them to play. Every model is per definition flawed, otherwise it wouldn't be a model.

But just because you cannot embed every possible scenario in a score system, that doesn't mean that it cannot be made a lot nicer than in the current scenario. Heck for clan based matches you wouldn't really need a scoreboard showing scores for individual players, unless individual clan leaders would like to assess a players performance by his personal definition of a good player.

I'm not saying that what I suggest is the ideal score system, but its more fair and team play oriented than the current system. If you prefer no scoring whatsoever then that's fine. But I think that at least in relaxed realism there should be a scoring system that encourages some base fundamentals of a persons performance towards the team that can be measured.

And for defending a cap zone when using statistics you could give someone accumulating points for how long they are in the cap zone defending. Say on a perticular capzone the defenders defend for 5 minutes on average, then everybody could be given 2 points for every minute they are in the cap zone.

I've made suggestions about a change in the cap system to something based on influence. This would allow a system where people gain points on their influence. Which would automatically make people gain points for instance for covering a small pathway to the cap zone.

But once again it's all about making the system better than it currently is, your example of for example that guy only making 1 kill at the very end. He's not rewarded any better with the current system. If he would be defending the cap zone within the cap zone at least with my suggestion he would gain more than 1 single point. So when you are having issues with the suggested system either suggest a different system that you think is better, or say why you feel the current system is better.
--------------------------------

Snipers generally work alone (with their spotter), when you spawn off the same side of the combat area with the main force of the army. You are supposed to help your team take out targets like mg's and enemy rifleman on the advance. Rather than trying to crawl into the enemy lines for a few days to take down a special target. Which is the reason why I think, and the devs said in the past that the current RO maps do not feature snipers.

But again primarily when you have a team made up of 16 people, statistically speaking nobody should have a scoped weapon. Losing 1/8th of the people to snipers and mgs is just plain unrealistic in my opinion. I'd rather have 2 more regular grunts. If the game will feature the ability to form little squads in the game, then I think automatically every player in the same squad as a mg should carry mg ammo and the other players not.

Next to that people picking up special classes like mg spotter or sniper spotter would need to find each other which is hard enough . And next to that they need to work together. I can see the benefit for such a class for realism units perhaps, but in public game play it would just mean that the mg doesn't get any ammo any more.

People can work together and act like spotter for instance, but creating a dedicated class for it just takes up precious resources. Making a class where you need people to work together won't automatically make people work together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about points for following orders? If the leader says to defend a specific objective, you actually get a point for showing up. This would be be best if it worked by squads (squad A defend Ruins - only squad A people get the extra points).

That could work but only if there is some requirement to become a squad leader. Ideally I would like the squadleader to be called platoon leader or whatever. And just regular classes made squadleader, so there is no benefit to the class like having a smg or arty powers. Just the ability to command.

Last edited:
Upvote 0