• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Account Hacking Warning

So moral of the story is, if two people know your password, it isn't secret. Keep it secret, keep it safe!

Everyone with some sense in their heads should be aware of that and some are wicked enough to 'play along' and pretend (as I have done, I have to admit. More than few times), but unfortunately many people still manage to ignore those warnings.

Upvote 0
slavek, this was scotty right? you know if his account was hacked the same way? i heard it was an invite to a group, but not through a chatbox, but that's pretty dirty if the invite was coming from somebody on you're friends list through chat

the last time i saw a scammer going, the steam name was like "Steam Admin" or something and he would tell people that they had to submit their password/username in order to keep their account.....that of course is a dead give away, too bad some people were really dumb! :D

but this...this sounds really bad.

From what I heard, one of the 50pc. guys was hacked. They used his good name to talk to other people on friends list, asked them if they wanted to join some group. Still thinking it was him, they clicked the link and proceeded to get their accounts stolen. As for website, Idk if it was a login scam or if there is some sort of program on the website that scans you, either way i'm not about to click the link to find out.

Upvote 0
The guy was contacted in chat by a "friend" that was a member of a small group that the victim had started some months ago. This "friend" (a personal acquaintance whose account had just been hacked earlier that morning) asked the victim to join a group that he (the "friend") was just starting. The link (I don't know how it was presented) took him to a page that looked like the Steam login page. The victim thought it strange that he had to re-login, but the invite was coming from a known friend. He thought he was logging in....

Long story short, within minutes, the victim could not access his account and the hackers were contacting the victim's friends using the same scheme.

His email account was hi-jacked, too.
Steam and his email provider have since straightened things out.

Lesson #2: Don't use the same password for everything. If it gets compromised, you'll be in a world of hurt.....:(

Upvote 0
First things first.

NEVER EVER give your account password to ANYBODY. Valve doesn't need it. At all. Not even to fix your account. I once ended up with a broken steam account that Valve needed to log into locally to reproduce the bug. They did NOT need my password to do that. They just reset it themselves and log in. So NEVER give out your password.

Also, make use of the warnings when you are linked to a "steam" website. If it isn't steampowered.com or steamcommunity.com Steam will warn you that you are going to a non steam site. DO NOT PUT YOUR INFO IN THERE.

Yeah, Valve guys are gods of Steam. They will NEVER need your password. They usually don't even need your account name, just the E-mail you used. If anyone asks for a password, red flags should immediately go up.

And the fact that you can't see the 'verification' of pages in the Steam shell is why I tend to exit steam and open any links in Firefox/IE before I put anything in. If you're EVER in doubt, open the link in a real browser and look for the green security certificate by the site address:

attachment.php

It's incredibly hard to fake one of those in your browser. In fact, this kind of security was made specifically so this type of account-hijacking scam doesn't happen...

Attachments

• steamlogin.JPG
    steamlogin.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0