• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About albino crawlers... Gas Floor 2

i do like variety in zeds.however i cannot stand the albino crawlers..and its lots of them too per wave.
on maps where you have a spot to hold the gas cloud just impairs your vision so much you cant see at what you are shooting.i played mando last night and the only reason i could see anything was because this perk can see healthbars from a distance. but because you cant really see what you are shooting at i raged a FP who then proceeded to charge in.we had another double FP incoming from the other end and this wiped the whole team.

i hope TWI tones down the spawn numbers of those crawlers or better yet takes them out completely.

Upvote 0
poultrygeist;n2267407 said:
the gas cloud just impairs your vision
That is indeed more of an issue than the damage itself. Those gas crawlers spawn in packs up to four. You shoot the first and get a cloud. Then the next closes in unseen, until he leaves the cloud where he gets shot and the cloud gets extended... and so on. So this only really affects players that hold a position. Zerks will just sit in the cloud and hold down mouse one like before.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2267409 said:
That is indeed more of an issue than the damage itself. Those gas crawlers spawn in packs up to four. You shoot the first and get a cloud. Then the next closes in unseen, until he leaves the cloud where he gets shot and the cloud gets extended... and so on. So this only really affects players that hold a position. Zerks will just sit in the cloud and hold down mouse one like before.

thats what i noticed too.we also had a zerk in the team and the only real damage he took was from charging enraged small trash and a husk.the gas itself didnt seem to bother him all that much. well that was untill we had 3 FP's in our face :D

i also have a feeling that those gas clouds stack up in terms of denying you visibility

Upvote 0
Sorry but this is a problem how!? Its just another hurdle to overcome in the game. Whether in solo or coop. If a medic is there then the team is doing that right. If there is no medic or the zerk is along way from them then theyll have to keep on their toes. Either way.... it probably just needs a tweak but its a great addition.

If the mist doesnt affect players(zerks) enough then maybe make the crawlers explode and damage players in contact when it goes. Though Id suggest decreasing the rate of damage in cloud unless the cloud density increases due to additional exploding crawlers. Id also like to see the mist heal zeds if thats feasible.

Upvote 0
2Clicks;n2267418 said:
Sorry but this is a problem how!? Its just another hurdle to overcome in the game. Whether in solo or coop.
For the run around with a flamethrower fraction that is ofc a non issue. Go play some solo Hillside. Report back how you liked it.

And zerks being able to sit in the cloud are a problem in my book.

Upvote 0
I agree that even for non-zerks the damage isn't enough to genuinely avoid them. Making them lethal may be a bother though. Maybe it can apply and wear off rapidly? Like, you are rewarded for avoiding the cloud quite quickly but staying in it or ignoring it causes constant vision impairment and damage.

One thing I do think for sure though is a radius reduction - even after bashing them and doing what i can to gain distance they are always able to tag me with poison, even outside of the cloud's range.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2267429 said:
For the run around with a flamethrower fraction that is ofc a non issue. Go play some solo Hillside. Report back how you liked it.

And zerks being able to sit in the cloud are a problem in my book.

You talk about it being an issue for solo games and then an issue for zerks with a pocket-medic! You have many issues here but bear with me and Ill explain why these are trivial at best.

So it needs a tweak for solo..... how does that equate to a change for the rest of the playing community? More so for a custom map that is an anomoly in terms of standard map design and build.

Like I said if the albino is designed as a countermeasure for the squatting zerk then the tweak is simple - make it explode on contact. That will force zerks to be a bit more mobile. And the issue with the zerk and w/ pocket medics isnt one you will be able to solve easily. We already had knockback tried and removed. For me its more a playstyle thing. If ppl are using it on a pub. server then leave and go find another game. If you are in a private game then ask ppl not to use that tactic.

Why would I want to play a game solo? I have friends and a few server-owning groups I play with!

Upvote 0
2Clicks;n2267477 said:
So it needs a tweak for solo..... how does that equate to a change for the rest of the playing community? More so for a custom map that is an anomoly in terms of standard map design and build.
You don't care about solo... that's your personal point of view that is just focused on how you want to play the game. TWI is neglecting solo play and totally ignores that not everyone enjoys it to constantly run around. Please forgive me that I speak out for people that like toplay differently than you do.

Hillside is an "anomaly" because it is a 1-way and the official maps don't offer that. But what Hillside does is that it works as a benchmark how much pressure the different game builds throw along one way. You could also take a 2-way with someone else covering your back on an official map...

Upvote 0
2Clicks;n2267418 said:
Sorry but this is a problem how!? Its just another hurdle to overcome in the game. Whether in solo or coop. If a medic is there then the team is doing that right. If there is no medic or the zerk is along way from them then theyll have to keep on their toes. Either way.... it probably just needs a tweak but its a great addition.

If the mist doesnt affect players(zerks) enough then maybe make the crawlers explode and damage players in contact when it goes. Though Id suggest decreasing the rate of damage in cloud unless the cloud density increases due to additional exploding crawlers. Id also like to see the mist heal zeds if thats feasible.

its annoying, came out of nowhere, wasnt asked for, and feels like its more of a "oh hey we can do this easily, that means we should right? pretty sure they wanted something about the crawlers to be different from the first game, this is an excellent solution"

Upvote 0
polomi;n2267483 said:
I'll just leave this here for anyone who hasn't played yet or if people just want a video reference of this stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVq_W721KcM
Thanks for the illustration. This is just annoying visual obscuring that doesn't really add much for a full team of competent players. The doorzerking issue isnt solved by that either. Only solo playing is affected (solo = 1-way custom map or holding a way alone on a multiway map... just to make sure that 2clicks gets it this time too)

This just turned the game even more into a spamfest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gladius;n2267509 said:
Thanks for the illustration. This is just annoying visual obscuring that doesn't really add much for a full team of competent players.

this illustrated the issue of constant gas clouds quite nice. but its even worse on "indoor maps" like bioticslab and containment station. if i wasnt such a nub recording and uploading a few rounds id put up a video. that spot on volter manor we always hold shown in the video wasnt even all that bad in terms of seeing what you are actually shooting at but illustrated the issue nonetheless

Upvote 0
dare49devil;n2267550 said:
-I read somewhere someone wrote that if you get a headshot on the albino crawler it shouldn't explode. I like that thinking. I also think that if you melee an albino crawler to death, it shouldn't explode (pulverizor explode wouldn't count as melee).

I do like the headshot idea. Quite frankly if it dies to a melee with anything but a headshot it should explode and kill said player.

Upvote 0