• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A question on bullet penetration

I know that bullets will penetrate certain cover in HoS...but what about bullet penetration on bodies? Will rifle rounds go straight through bodies so that it is possible to get a two-for-one kill?
Bullet penetration......basically it hurts like all buggery if it hits You in the wrong spot...and if it hits You in the right spot then You won't have anymore worries......On a serious note a 2 for 1 kill is extremely rare because of the Spritzer type round commonly used during WWII, they where designed to Tumble (Hence the name Tumbler Round) and smash through Flesh and bone.
While there are documented one offs against this rule I would say it is not a regular occurrence...I'm sure others will disagree...but they've never been shot;)

Upvote 0
Bullet penetration......basically it hurts like all buggery if it hits You in the wrong spot...and if it hits You in the right spot then You won't have anymore worries......On a serious note a 2 for 1 kill is extremely rare because of the Spritzer type round commonly used during WWII, they where designed to Tumble (Hence the name Tumbler Round) and smash through Flesh and bone.
While there are documented one offs against this rule I would say it is not a regular occurrence...I'm sure others will disagree...but they've never been shot;)

But what about that scene in Indiana Jones, where he shoots through like 3 guys with one P38 round!?
IJLC-P38_shoot3guysA.jpg

j/k

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know there is a mod in Ost that makes MG and rifle bullets go through bodies so multiple people can be killed by the same bullet, but they had no concept of stoppage, so theoretically if an entire team lined up in a straight line, a single rifle round would go through all of them:rolleyes:

What would be cool is to have a system where bullets interact realistically with bodies and objects, so that if a rifle round goes through a body but hits a bone on the way though, the round comes out the other side but at a much less lethal velocity and a different angle.

One of the things I always hated in the new COD games is that bullets went through almost every kind of cover, and when bullets were being shot through cover, they came out the other side with the same exact trajectory regardless of the angle of impact, and they were still almost as lethal as non-penetrating shots, when realistically, while an assault rifle round might go through a concrete wall, it won't come out the other side with sufficient velocity to pierce military grade kevlar

Upvote 0
I hope there will be no more of that "swinging hands in front of persons chest(when he is holding his gun and sprintig e.g) will act as sort of bodyarmor, as they did in RO:OST. So frustrating to shoot someone with a bolt-action only to notice that the bullet stopped to he's arm, rather than go thourgh his arm and continue on to the chest/stomach.

Upvote 0
I know there is a mod in Ost that makes MG and rifle bullets go through bodies so multiple people can be killed by the same bullet, but they had no concept of stoppage, so theoretically if an entire team lined up in a straight line, a single rifle round would go through all of them:rolleyes:

This was a standard feature of the mod. It was pretty satisfying to shoot through two enemies at once, it didn't happen too often. And yes, you could even shoot through an entire line of people.

I'm not sure if Ostfront has this.

Upvote 0
Planks are generally not super brittle. So I'd gather when shooting at wood stuff you'd have a bigger chance of making holes than completely breaking it.

In a lot of movies and games for that matter effects are exaggerated because they look cool. Just like a tank firing armour piercing rounds at a building would make holes in it rather than blow up entire walls.

That doesn't stop that blowing holes into things using grenades or he shells would be nice.

Upvote 0
Far as I recall, ostfront bullets would stop at the first thing they hit.
Yes, in the stock version of Ost, bullets stopped after hitting a single body part, but there was a special mod made for Ost that could be added onto any server so that bullets went through bodies like they werent even there, I only saw two servers ever run the mod

Another thing I want to see as far as bullet penetration is realistic interaction with doors, so say if you shoot up the hinges, the door will fall off, or if you shoot the lock, the door will just swing open by someone running into it

Another thing I have to ask is, will the ground always stop bullets? If you think about it, the snow at the top of a drift isn't very dense, so a rifle bullet might be able to go through it and hit someone near the top of the drift on the other side

Upvote 0
Another thing I want to see as far as bullet penetration is realistic interaction with doors, so say if you shoot up the hinges, the door will fall off, or if you shoot the lock, the door will just swing open by someone running into it.

I'm not sure you can open doors like that. This old box o' truth shows how much harder it is to open a lock with a gun than what you see in the movies. Not exactly a scientific study, but that's all I've got. And if you shot the hinges of a door I think you'd be more likely to just jam them by pinching or bending the pin. To get the door to fall off you'd have to almost completely destroy the metal of the hinge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure you can open doors like that. This old box o' truth shows how much harder it is to open a lock with a gun than what you see in the movies. Not exactly a scientific study, but that's all I've got. And if you shot the hinges of a door I think you'd be more likely to just jam them by pinching or bending the pin. To get the door to fall off you'd have to almost completely destroy the metal of the hinge.

Well it is true that actually shooting the lock of a door won't break the lock all the time, usually police forces use a solid shotgun slug to bust open locks, but if you damage the wood around the hinges of a door enough, the wood will simply break off from the hinge, causing the door to fall off, I'm not sure how well it would work in a game like RO, but a cool idea none the less in my opinion

and yes, satchels fix all problems, they should just rename satchels to Bags Full of Answers:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If my memory is correct on ostfront you can shoot and kill 4 men in one shoot from a bolt. I know at least 3 men as I once did it in one game. :) (there is small change that this was the mod version but I am almost positive it was ostfront)

In the mod you could shoot through 100 enemy soldiers in one shot. In roost you can only shoot through one then the bullet dissapears,unless you use the (buggy) penetration mutator.

Upvote 0