• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A New Player Guide

I have been gifted RO at last, by a generous soul. But I have also heard not to play it, since I would be slaughtered by veterans instantly, and I wouldnt know how to play. And, since RO is an older game, there is a high chance that there is mostly veterans, and (from how things have been going when I try MP on old games) I will likely be kicked. I checked your 'tactics' section, with no clues for begginners.

Could you guys please inform me so you can have one less player who will run around with an empty pistol and get slaughtered? Or point me to some guides? Thanks

take a bolt action rifle, if you learn to use that weapon you can learn other weapons. A bolt action rifle is a weapon that truly teaches its user in RO. So if you want to advance the fastest in the game get a hold of the functionality of the bolt and then switch to other weaponry.

Although the bolt action rifle initially perhaps feels difficult its the easiest weapon to master. Using other weapons is perhaps easier but mastering it is more difficult.

Upvote 0
I totally agree that there should be a beginners guide with only the most important stuff. No opinions, just facts. Either there is one lost somewhere or there never was one. There probably won't be one for RO1 ofcourse, but I hope there will be for RO2 even if it is easier to get in to.

Play as defender is probably a good idea as then you don't need the perfect timing to take out a "camper".

I would also suggest taking a rifle and wait for the enemy in preferrably standing/crocuhed and having your gun rested. Being able to asap leave your position is important to avoid being killed by nades. If nades cannot reach you then prone works nice. Having your gun rested or being prone makes it easier to have your iron sight up without getting that huge sway.

Don't drain your stamina unless it is to avoid getting shot.

play some practice vs bots where you use the command (allammo I think) to get "unlimited" nades and learn the grenade system. movign forwards increase the length of the toss, and jumping increases it further. 2 keys are used when using grenades, the "bayonet key" and the normal attack one. german nades are cooked from first press, russians on the second. I hope you understand :p. Anyway, play around with nades =). You want to know the systen good before you try it out in public ^^.

Upvote 0
Another set of tips from me.

Disable "reduce mouse lag" "mouse smoothing" and "vsync"

next to that use a relatively low mouse speed. Feedback from your eyes to your brain goes slower than the proprioceptive feedback you obtain from your muscle spindles. The more you need to move your mouse to turn a single radian, the more accurate you can be.

Learn yourself to spot something, somewhere on your screen, and then automatically move your mouse and firing and hitting. Before you actually get the exact visual feedback on your target. If you basically wait till you see your target lined up it will be too late already.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I'll definately kee these in mind.

It's so astonishing to find a severe lack in RO basic player guides. Which is funny, since I know a boatload of people getting RO for christmas, so it's not exactly a 'stale' game from what I can tell.

There are actually some you tube videos around explaining functionality ;)

Upvote 0
Another tip is know what classes are supposed to do before you take them up.

Squadleaders, throw smoke, and call artillery (click with the binoculars at some point and then call the arty in at a radio that can be seen in red on the overhead map).

Snipers as there is only one per team should really focus on high priority targets, like enemy snipers and mg's and dug in rifleman.

MG's should focus at blocking paths with high enemy density, when you setup you're not really mobile so pick your spot wisely, you don't want to be naded or sniped. Next to that especially when beginning with a MG you will notice that rifleman will take you down at range, so either be ready to move or make sure that no enemies can kill you beyond your own range.

Upvote 0
I agree that it is important to learn to use the bolt rifles, but you may soon figure out that bolts are more suited to some maps than others.

My favorite weapons are the SVT-40, the G41 and the G43..the semi-auto rifles. They have good range, but if you find yourself in a tight spot on a smaller/faster map you won't find yourself fumbling around with a bolt or having to do the bayonet soft-shoe shuffle.

Upvote 0
Use what weapon suits your style at first , if you want to be attacking and getting into the capzones and holding them , try assault or use semi-autos.

For defensive people bolt action or semi-auto is ok,although on danzig even assault is useful for defending team.

I personally started out using assault weapons and then worked my way up/down?, I still need more practice with mgs but rarely get a chance on pub servers.

Kicking is rare in this game so I wouldnt worry about that, just beware when throwing a grenade with your allies around you.

Know where the capzones are and how big they are, because until you learn to shoot(it can take a while) you are more useful to your team in the capzone whether capping or preventing the enemy from taking it.

You might think that getting the game this late everyone would be good at the game, veterans even, well thats not quite true.....with the more severe window-lickers I sometimes wonder how they managed to load the game let alone play it.
Having fun is the main bit though....enjoy

Upvote 0
I think new players are better off starting with the SVT and G semi-automatics. It's hard enough getting used to the mechanics and initially unfamiliar maps without having the frustration of waiting for the bolt reload while a veteran player charges to bayonet you.

Of course there aren't many semi-auto slots on most maps, so you could be stuck with a bolt anyway. Certainly don't take squad leader or sniper until you've practiced on the single player maps.

There are some tutorial videos on YouTube if you search for "red orchestra tutorial":
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=red+orchestra+tutorial&aq=f

It may also help to spectate on some games first.

When you do start playing, there are a few things I advise:
* Don't go afk (away from keyboard). Very annoying if you've taken an important role and the team can't win without it.

* If your team runs out of reinforcements and you're still alive, don't hide - go out and fight. Most likely your survival will not change the outcome, and the delay will annoy everyone else who wants to starts the next map.

* It may be difficult to distinguish friendly vs. enemy troops on certain maps, so if you get surprised when you turn a corner, hesitate a second before firing. You may get killed a lot, but I think it's better than too many accidental teamkills as you are starting out.

Good luck! It's a great game and well worth the time spent.

Upvote 0
well, I've gotten the basic hang of the bolt-action.

Should I continue with it, or is now the time to experiment? And if I should change, is their a second class that is really useful to learn early on?

Also, I tried learning via solo...but soon found myself with tons of bots running in lace on top of barbed wire, with the only threat to victory being a TK-ing engineer (-55 points:eek:)

I also tried multiplayer, and managed to get 5 points!:D (like 20 deaths too, but I'm calling it a victory)

Thanks a ton. All these tips are really helping:D

Upvote 0
All courtesy of your friendly Tripwire Interactive staff......
That would be ME, then :)

And if you struggle with a boltie, don't worry, you're in good company. I've always been garbage with one. But give me a light MG and I will do plenty of damage!

Now, in play-testing for RO2, I seem to end up as the Commander the whole time. The new and improved co-ordination with the squad leaders makes it a great role for me! Working to direct/steer the efforts, bringing the arty to bear on those key locations, get in the front line myself when it matters. Love it :)

Upvote 0
That would be ME, then :)

And if you struggle with a boltie, don't worry, you're in good company. I've always been garbage with one. But give me a light MG and I will do plenty of damage!

Now, in play-testing for RO2, I seem to end up as the Commander the whole time. The new and improved co-ordination with the squad leaders makes it a great role for me! Working to direct/steer the efforts, bringing the arty to bear on those key locations, get in the front line myself when it matters. Love it :)

I need to test that class out in RO1 soon then:)

By the way, any tips on how to use a machine gun or anti-tank gun
(the first I never seem to be able to hang on to due to recoil, and the second does not want to deploy)

I learned some stuff on tank-driving as well, but it appears that all I can find with low ping is Danzig, Danzig, and more Danzig, so I'm not able to quite test it out.

Upvote 0
All i can say is: Play as if you were there.
Forget what other mp shooters have taught you, go in with an open mind. Play as if your life was on the line. Follow more experienced players, see what they do. One could single out the clan fellows so follow them, i can only assume most of them would know how to play :p
Move from cover to cover, take your time to scout the terrain before moving on.

Most important aspect of combat in RO is to see without being seen, to see before being seen.

Upvote 0
It may also help to spectate on some games first.

This. When I first started playing RO I spectated some of the better players on the server and/or clan players. It's a good way to learn where the good spots on the maps are and how to use each class.

Also no admins kick people for being noobs as far as I know. The only problem that a new player might have is getting kicked automatically for accidental TKing, but as long as you play sensibly on servers you will be fine :)

Upvote 0
I need to test that class out in RO1 soon then:)

By the way, any tips on how to use a machine gun or anti-tank gun
(the first I never seem to be able to hang on to due to recoil, and the second does not want to deploy)
On the MG - just tap the trigger. The MG34 puts down 900 rounds per minute, the MG42 well over 1,000. Practise just tapping the trigger to put about 5 rounds down-range at a time. Remember, they are full power rifle rounds - you don't need many to seriously hurt someone!

Upvote 0
weapons do not fire exactly at the tip of the iron sight they are often a few pixels off. So for what its worth learn to find the spot where its hitting at, (of course taking bullet drop and travel time into account).

With an mg use the additional bullets to your advantage, fire quick spurts and take into account that recoil raises your iron sight so initially aiming slightly below the player and letting it climb automatically slightly can help you with aiming.

The climbing rate of the SMG's is a constant amount so you learn yourself to pull your mouse downward while firing to compensate for recoil. RO is a one hit kill game generally so make sure that your shots count, its better to fire short accurate bursts often than spray and pray.

Last edited:
Upvote 0