• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

350 Players Online ...

The game is already dead and has no hope of recovering. Sorry, but that is the truth.

The "veteran" player-base destroyed any chance of ro2 being an active and competitive game. After my team bought ro2 and smashed some top-tier teams, we were ostracized from the community and labeled a cheater team.

It's sad, because the $12,000 scorched earth tournament is corrupt and run by a clan that is competing in the tournament. The tournament could have had a big impact on e-sports and raised a ton of publicity for ro2, but they'd rather have gigantic competitively-inept realism teams play; rather than have actual competitive teams.

Upvote 0
I disagree to a point. Realism is not a mass appeal like mainstream but you can make a living off it like ArmA has. You won't grow to Activations size off it though.

RO2 is all over which is the problem. Tried to appeal to mainstream and realism and failed at both. Mainstream has gone on to play MW3 and BF3, realism went back to RO or ArmA.

Also within realism you have the "totally" realism crowd and the "fake=realism" group which argues the merits of the realism features in RO2 versus limitations that impose realistic like gameplay.

Its a bit of a mess but the game has failed to focus on where it wants to be and is suffering for it.

"Realism" has a habit of turning 12 year olds into gun experts.

Reactions: Cyper
Upvote 0
I disagree to a point. Realism is not a mass appeal like mainstream but you can make a living off it like ArmA has. You won't grow to Activations size off it though.

RO2 is all over which is the problem. Tried to appeal to mainstream and realism and failed at both. Mainstream has gone on to play MW3 and BF3, realism went back to RO or ArmA.

Also within realism you have the "totally" realism crowd and the "fake=realism" group which argues the merits of the realism features in RO2 versus limitations that impose realistic like gameplay.

Its a bit of a mess but the game has failed to focus on where it wants to be and is suffering for it.
Well said imo.

The game seems to have a split personality. E.g. The difference between firefight and countdown. To me personally even including this firefight mode
is silly because it is such atrocious gameplay. This clearly shows though how TWI traded focussing on a core business, for not really focussing at all and trying to do almost opposite things at once.

I do think this is a design strategy that sets one up to fail both goals.

Upvote 0
Many known and popular servers are still populated and we are still experiencing better than ever gameplay and tactics and also having laughs.

Skyrim will definately cause alot of players to split (me included, getting it for free yay I make Bethesda money everyday so they better give it to me for free) but my 240+ hours in game are still adding on and on because this game is good and I cannot wait for Rising Storm and TWI contect not mods!

Upvote 0
That statement alone kills your post, you obviously have no real experience with how machineguns behave.

Please show me anyone who can accurately fire an MG while running and I'll take my statement back.

Sure, there are shoulder fired models, like the BAR, but even with these the users are not running and gunning.

The people I am talking about behave like this guy :p

imager.php

Last edited:
Reactions: slavek and Cyper
Upvote 0
11 PM today, roughly 1060 players playing in europe. I get the feeling that the poor chap didn't realise that people still had to download the new November 8 patch.

I don't understand why this would reduce the player count.

Downloading the patch took all of 10 seconds for me.

1.) Boot computer.
2.) Steam notifies me that a new patch has been installed
3.) Launch game with new patch.

I don't see what the problem is.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why this would reduce the player count.

Downloading the patch took all of 10 seconds for me.

1.) Boot computer.
2.) Steam notifies me that a new patch has been installed
3.) Launch game with new patch.

I don't see what the problem is.

People can still be playing on a different version, while the new patch is out. Servers need to be updated as well, otherwise there's too little servers with good ping to play on.

Reactions: The Beast (nl)
Upvote 0
The game is already dead and has no hope of recovering. Sorry, but that is the truth.

The "veteran" player-base destroyed any chance of ro2 being an active and competitive game. After my team bought ro2 and smashed some top-tier teams, we were ostracized from the community and labeled a cheater team.

It's sad, because the $12,000 scorched earth tournament is corrupt and run by a clan that is competing in the tournament. The tournament could have had a big impact on e-sports and raised a ton of publicity for ro2, but they'd rather have gigantic competitively-inept realism teams play; rather than have actual competitive teams.

Can you explain what happened and fully tell your story?

Upvote 0
oh no the game is dead!! only 350 people on! oh my!

Lets see.... RO1 and DH for years had less than 350 at any one time, and it was not dead.

Lets see... I can always jump into a croweded server at any time, not dead to me.

Lets see....Population server count is not accurate by any means, depends on what type of server, geo location, time of day on the planet, Interface not counting all servers, map change, some admins dont let servers ping population numbers.

Yeah the game is dead! just got done chatting in steam with a fellow player in Asia, as of 1730 Eastern time zone He is registering 111 players on 6 asian servers alone....

Yeah the game is dead! run for the hills! the game is dead!!!

Upvote 0
i only have time to play in the evening on the weekends and there are only like 400 people on, with 3-4 fulls servers, and 1-2 of those running realism mode; 1 of which runs that horrendous fallenfighters map 24/7. yeeeaahh....

they have pings of about 100+ too. kinda lame...

i'm in los angeles btw.

You kind of miss out because some times unpopular servers like the TWI 'The Beast' get filled and that has GREAT ping for us Angelitos - you get under 80 from the Steam server browser at the very least (which translates to 120 in game?).

But yeah, most of the time we get to enjoy 150-200 ping servers.

Upvote 0
Not sure why people still complain about the T34.. I hadn't even played in tank in about a month and last night I hoped in a T34 and easily matched the top kill score on the German side on Grumak.

You simply have to learn how to use the T34 and then it's pretty damn good. Hell I've even gone head top head with the Panzer's , something you really shouldn't do and still beat them.

The T34 is quite capable but it's just a bit harder to use. You must protect it by using proper cover and deflection angles and you must aim well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Crockett the problem is the T-34 should be able to go head to head with the Stalingrad Era Mark IV. The Mark IV did not have a lot of armor on it. There is some bug with armor values or something. Sure you can do well with the T-34 in X way, but its the players compensating for dev or coding SNAFU on the tank front.

More historically, if anything the Germans should be the ones struggling to go head to head with the T-34. The large majority of 6th Army panzers were mark IIIs with 50mm guns or Mark IVs with short 75mm guns. The Devs added the Mark IV long 75mm to balance things but it has backfired and given the Germans the edge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0