• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3.4G, do you call that a patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchize

Sep 30, 2011
Please, dev team, when you create so much fine patches, do remember that not everybody has de High speed, quota less network connection. :eek:

Did you never learn the difference between a release and a patch??! A patch should only include changes, don't tell me you redid 80% of textures, models, sound and code in a week! Because that's what your patch represent.

If all games i play were so greedy in bandwith for patches, i could just go and by a few additionnal adsl links! So instead of killing my connection for little or no change people would see, just activate some neurons and give us damn linux servers! (And those won't need client patches by the way).

I would like to subscribe to get patches sent by DVD on snail mail when you are done patching and using us as beta testers. :mad:

You DO realize that you had to redownload most of the maps again due to them being optimized, right?

You also realize that because of the way Steam currently patches certain third party games that even just changing one tiny thing may require a massive file to be redownloaded for some games, right?

This is a necessary evil until Valve implements their new system of patching games with Steam.

Upvote 0
What i do realise is that this patch is massive, just to fix a few bugs, and that if i ever wanted to waste 20G of my internet connexion, I would not have paid to get the game on DVD!

I do realize that i had to download 3.4G just to get some change that i can barely notice on the game! I wouldn't care if i could play without having to patch, but i can't.

Upvote 0
There are many posts (i.e. complaints) in these forums that just make me shake my head. This one however, is one of the few that just makes me wanna shout, "&&$&%#*@^*!"

This one might have to go into the "Did he seriously just post that? Hall of Fame".
Some people have low monthly bandwidth cap, and these patch can push the limit of these caps.

While TWI may be unable to do it any other way for now, the comments/complain are valid. Don't be an asshole.

Upvote 0
That's exactly what optimization means.

You talk like you've shipped games. Totally stepping aside from RO2 for a minute, exactly what experience do you have in shipping commercial games, or even free games?

was this comment towards me, or what? i dont understand...

optimizations means reducing the quality of the visuals? In that sense they should have just taken it down to 16bit graphics; it would have been the greatest feat of optimization in history.

No experience what so ever, i wasnt aware that i need to have experience on something in order to criticize it. Care to tell me your experience, as you seem to know a lot?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know that optimization means down-sampling textures if need be to improve performance, and not acting like I TOTALLY know a better way to do it.

In that sense they should have just taken it down to 16bit graphics; it would have been the greatest feat of optimization in history.
This is why experience is important. It prevents you from making stupid statements like that. And my experience isn't even any deeper than your's. Hrm.

Upvote 0
It was an obvious hyperbole, i was hoping you would grasp that. jesus...

I was bringing it because there are games that are much better looking, and they never had to do this. I would assume that is what scalable graphics settings are for.

I was running the game on ultra just fine. now it looks a bit like ***

And my experience isn't even any deeper than your's. Hrm.

Then could i ask you, why you were questioning my experience then?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe something to do with the unnecessary hyperbole where you're basically telling TWI they don't know what they're doing. At that point, your experience in doing, well, anything becomes highly relative. And by anything, I mean making games, not sitting in your chair and judging them.

And yes, I do remember you saying you think of yourself as a programmer. Well, here's a programming tip. Quit acting like you know better than the people that made the game. That's called hubris.

As for what's necessary to get the game playable across the range of configurations and power they're shooting for...down-sampling textures is an option. Personally I think they shot for way higher configurations with the graphics ect...than they should have. Which is why I'm not all that surprised that this is happening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We didn't reduce texture size, or any of that sort of rubbish.

We changed culling distances on art assets in the levels (among other similar changes). The issue this creates is that we have to re-cook the maps. The next problem is that causes you to re-download all of the maps and their assets again (because they've fundamentally changed). Hence the large download.

Upvote 0
Maybe something to do with the unnecessary hyperbole where you're basically telling TWI they don't know what they're doing. At that point, your experience in doing, well, anything becomes highly relative. And by anything, I mean making games, not sitting in your chair and judging them. And yes, I do remember you saying you think of yourself as a programmer.

I didnt think it was unnecessary, i think it illustrated a point; with the point being that the approach TWI took is somewhat half assed. As the game didnt even look that nice to begin with, i cant see it being a problem with overall visuals. And now i get texture popins literally 2 feet if front of me.

ay that is correct, i am a programmer, but i have never designed games. It's mostly for applications.

i payed money for this game, and so i will judge as much as i like.

Upvote 0
You DO realize that you had to redownload most of the maps again due to them being optimized, right?

You also realize that because of the way Steam currently patches certain third party games that even just changing one tiny thing may require a massive file to be redownloaded for some games, right?

This is a necessary evil until Valve implements their new system of patching games with Steam.

Out of curiosity, do you know anything abou thtis new download system? This is the first I've heard of it and it will be well welcomed.

Upvote 0
Some people have low monthly bandwidth cap, and these patch can push the limit of these caps.

While TWI may be unable to do it any other way for now, the comments/complain are valid. Don't be an asshole.

This. Spot on.

Also...this guy bought the game on DVD, Whats the point of the DVD if more than 2 3rds of the data on the DVD are for all intensive purposes...USELESS.

I bought through steam i have unlimited ADSL 2+ so it does not effect me greatly....still i dont want to DL 3 gig every fortnight to keep a game running, because a company released something unfinished.

IT is like a painter painting your house who does not order all the paint at once and comes back every fortnight to paint a room when the paint is ready.

I have read a few posts where people bough the game on DVD for singleplayer only.....they will be ropable right now.

Reactions: Meirleach
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.