• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hunting shotgun reloading

Good day there
I've been playing as Support since version 1006 and since then i've always had a problem with the hunting shotgun - after you let loose two barrels of fun at once, you automatically reload - and that's my problem.
'Cause after that huge damage spike it would be great to be able to switch to the regular shotgun and rip some fleshies apart - whereas with the auto-reload you'll be ripped and torn apart. So my suggestion is that after we've unloaded the two barrels we'd have to click again or press reload to start the reloading process. So what do you think seasoned veterans of the forums? good idea or nasty idea?

Yeah it is something you need to practise. I myself changed Q from being quick heal to being last weapon used. I then stack up what I want to swap to and immediately kit Q once I fire the HS. Swaps pretty quick :)
Heh i tried your method and it does switch faster than when you press "3" however the reload animation still begins - he cocks the shotgun in reload position, which can mean the difference between life and death in a nasty suicidal match:D.

Upvote 0
I personally hope for either:

A: The ability to Optionally disable the auto reload feature. Both with pistols and with the hunting shotgun I've died loads of times due to my guns automatically reloading when I didn't want to reload but wanted to switch weapon.

B: The ability to change weapon when any weapon is reloading, and not only with some weaponry.

Upvote 0

A: The ability to Optionally disable the auto reload feature. Both with pistols and with the hunting shotgun I've died loads of times due to my guns automatically reloading when I didn't want to reload but wanted to switch weapon.

B: The ability to change weapon when any weapon is reloading, and not only with some weaponry.

I'm game for both of these ideas as well!

Autoreload gets me killed or near-killed about 90% of the time a surprise swarm attacks.

Upvote 0

I totally agree with version A and with version B yes but only if the clip would still remain empty if you interrupt the reloading process

Upvote 0
Good day there
I've been playing as Support since version 1006 and since then i've always had a problem with the hunting shotgun - after you let loose two barrels of fun at once, you automatically reload - and that's my problem.
'Cause after that huge damage spike it would be great to be able to switch to the regular shotgun and rip some fleshies apart - whereas with the auto-reload you'll be ripped and torn apart. So my suggestion is that after we've unloaded the two barrels we'd have to click again or press reload to start the reloading process. So what do you think seasoned veterans of the forums? good idea or nasty idea?

The hunting shot gun is the ideal close range shotty, and it is used finish off your enemies when the get close to you. Why not just fire all your pump action shotgun rounds first because it better for long range and then switch to the hunting shotgun? I'll admit I'm not the most experienced player, but that is normally how I handle things.

From a damage perspective I can see why you would want to do this, the pump action minus reload time does have better damage than the Hunting Shotgun with reload. But I don't think this mechanic is hurting support enough to justify the change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The hunting shot gun is the ideal close range shotty, and it is used finish off your enemies when the get close to you. Why not just fire all your pump action shotgun rounds first because it better for long range and then switch to the hunting shotgun? I'll admit I'm not the most experienced player, but that is normally how I handle things.

From a damage perspective I can see why you would want to do this, the pump action minus reload time does have better damage than the Hunting Shotgun with reload. But I don't think this mechanic is hurting support enough to justify the change.
You have a point there, however it is not valid all the times. For example the long range of the pump action shotgun will not be as good on maps like bioticslab where a fleshpound or scrake can appear after any corner, and then you won't have too much time to blast him to inferno... so you either blast him with the hunting shotgun and then pop out the pump action and aim for the head.... which will most certainly kill him.

Reactions: Dead :(
Upvote 0
You have a point there, however it is not valid all the times. For example the long range of the pump action shotgun will not be as good on maps like bioticslab where a fleshpound or scrake can appear after any corner, and then you won't have too much time to blast him to inferno... so you either blast him with the hunting shotgun and then pop out the pump action and aim for the head.... which will most certainly kill him.

So in a place like biotics lab you will already have your hunting shotgun out because you are attacking stuff that is appearing from around a corner and then a scrake appears. The scrake will charge you so you are forced to attack him, and he will take a good chunk of your life if you don't switch weapons and hit him with your pump-action. Or maybe a door is about to bust open and you want to do as much damage as you can to anything in the doorway (that survives the pipebomb), and somehow the fleshpound survives.

There are enough maps like this that I could see you would want this changed, but it is still a fairly small problem. Generally you want to give yourself some space to take down enemies; forcing yourself to shoot enemies at close range clearly isn't the best option. But if you move somewhere less than perfect because of the trader, it could be a problem.

This sounds like the best solution imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So in a place like biotics lab you will already have your hunting shotgun out because you are attacking stuff that is appearing from around a corner and then a scrake appears. The scrake will charge you so you are forced to attack him, and he will take a good chunk of your life if you don't switch weapons and hit him with your pump-action. Or maybe a door is about to bust open and you want to do as much damage as you can to anything in the doorway (that survives the pipebomb), and somehow the fleshpound survives.

There are enough maps like this that I could see you would want this changed, but it is still a fairly small problem. Generally you want to give yourself some space to take down enemies; forcing yourself to shoot enemies at close range clearly isn't the best option. But if you move somewhere less than perfect because of the trader, it could be a problem.

umm...wasn't that what I already said? or meant? LOL

Upvote 0