• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Single-Player Campaign Ideas

Scharfschütze1944

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 19, 2010
Harvard, IL
Now, I know that Red Orchestra is very multiplayer focused, but I've just got a few ideas on the single-player portion of the game, namely the single-player campaign. First of all, I'm really hoping that it won't just consist of you and your AI squad facing hordes of enemy AI on multiplayer maps. I'm hoping that there'll be some sort of story elements that'll be implemented into it too, other than simple cutscenes before and after the battle. Actually, I'm hoping for something that's a bit like Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. Giving insight into the personal lives of the members of your squad would really help with immersion in my opinion. Still, I wouldn't want this to come at the expense of basic gameplay mechanics, which sadly occurred with BiA:HH to some extent (the third person cover system comes to mind :rolleyes:). It'd also be interesting if your decisions could actually lead to the deaths of your squad members (unlike BiA:HH) and you'd receive random replacements from a pool of different characters with their own personal backstories. I realize that this'd probably be very difficult, but it'd be an interesting feature if it were possible to implement it. Also, if Tripwire decides to add character development and such, I sincerely hope that they don't add the stereotypical anti-Nazis that are usually seen in WWII films which depict the Germans as the protagonists. In reality, most soldiers kept their opinions to themselves, and political discussions rarely broke out in the battlefield. Also, while there were both pro and anti-Nazis, the majority of these soldiers were indifferent towards their government, so I believe that the majority of these characters should be depicted as apolitical, with a few exceptions. I believe that this should go for the majority of the Russians as well, with the exception of Commissars and such (who would be pro-Communist). It'd also be to the benefit of immersion if the storyline really depicted the horrors of war, which is something that I believe Call of Duty: World at War did well at. While there were numerous historical inaccuracies throughout (e.g.: King Tigers in the rubble of Stalingrad and slight errors in German uniforms), I think that the numerous mutilated bodies scattered around the battlefield and atrocities committed throughout helped to depict the hellish atmosphere of WWII. Let's also take into account that the battle of Stalingrad was one of the most brutal battles of WWII, and I think that it'd be perfectly realistic to depict the corpses of civilians killed by artillery fire amongst such things that were mentioned above. Cutscenes depicting the ruins of the city and the dead scattered throughout could be coupled with contrasting music to provide a sense of irony to the game (e.g: splendid German marching music accompanied with scenes of absolute horror to depict what their "glorious" campaign had led to, along with accompanying it ironically to a scene of their humiliating march of defeat after having surrendered, for example). Another thing that would be interesting would be to give the player different choices throughout the campaign, other than the simple ability to tackle objectives differently (e.g.: providing different routes to objectives, such as giving the player the ability to attack an enemy position from the front, the rear, a flank, or even allowing him to take the sewers :)). For example, I think that there'd be added replay value if the player was allowed certain choices that would impact the eventual outcome of the game, such as providing alternate endings (e.g.: you're playing as the Germans and it's the final mission of the campaign, near the end of the battle of Stalingrad in late January or early February, and you're trapped in a building along with your squad as the Russians have you completely surrounded, and you're laying low as you suddenly hear the sound of footsteps thudding against the stairs. You then have a choice: either raise your hands in surrender, thus ending the game, or you grab your SMG and fight to the death with the limited amount of ammunition that you still possess, thus providing a more heroic ending at the expense of losing your life). Anyways, those are just a few of my ideas and I hope that somebody at Tripwire might consider them. :D What do you guys think? Would you like to see some of these in the single-player campaign? Feel free to post some of your own ideas as well.

Reactions: Killyouall
If there is something like a story in single player i hope that actually your team mates can get better over time if you keep playing with the same bunch. And that you somewhat can select the team you're fighting with. Although that is perhaps not super realistic that is the only way how I generally end up caring for my team mates in games.

Aka if losing a player will mean that I get a low level n00b in return, then I will care a lot more about my players. It might sound rather odd, but in the cartoony game hogs of war I actually cared the most for my team mates of any game. Purely because I could choose how my team was compiled, what load outs people had and how they levelled up.

-----

There will probably be limits to what will be possible single player wise as the multi player maps will probably be reused with different paths etc.

My expectations are the lowest for HOS with the sp portion, and I actually fear that a lot of reviews will only look at the sp portion of the game. So any form of agood SP will be a pleasant surprise for me.

I'll be happy already if enemy spawning and level pathing is adapted specially for singleplayer. Rather than just playing a mp map with bots and an intro cut scene.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If there is something like a story in single player i hope that actually your team mates can get better over time if you keep playing with the same bunch. And that you somewhat can select the team you're fighting with. Although that is perhaps not super realistic that is the only way how I generally end up caring for my team mates in games.

Aka if losing a player will mean that I get a low level n00b in return, then I will care a lot more about my players. It might sound rather odd, but in the cartoony game hogs of war I actually cared the most for my team mates of any game. Purely because I could choose how my team was compiled, what load outs people had and how they levelled up.

This. :D

Upvote 0
Red Orchestra is not a single player game, they would need alot of resources for that.

While I agree with alot of your ideas, the problem with Brothers in Arms Hells Highway was that is focused on an overly emotional storyline but it didn't focus alot on technical realism, like, you know a Sherman taking hits from 88 shells. I thought elements of the story were almost cartoony, like a squad leader would go wander off on his own and kill 400 Germans, you have no control over who dies, only a few guys die out of the whole platoon which is impressive considering the disaster of Market Garden. While some games are supposed to be unrealistic like Modern Warfare where you fly through the air duel wielding pink striped Desert Eagles, keep in mind this game is marketed as a realistic tactical shooter, so that's what it should be. I did like some of the flashbacks where he talks to his dead soldiers, and I also liked the ending where Baker tells Red he's paralyzed, but then he gives this weird speech afterword that doesn't make any sense. I'm not saying I don't like sad stories, they just have to keep the elements toned down, not everything has to be super in your face depressing. The emotionalness from Red Orchestra derives from the sheer brutality of it, and the backround history of the battles, not everything has to be a military themed soap opera though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Stalingrad Campaign: The Stalingrad campaign will feature the multiplayer maps used in a campaign layout recreating the battle for Stalingrad from both the German and Russian sides. This will be enhanced with story elements through the form of mission introductions and in-game cinematic sequences that begin and end the campaign."

I hope they put in a little more effort than this.

Upvote 0
I will definitely do the campaign, and I think they will push the boat out for us.

Sure, don't expect anything too miraculous (it's not going to redefine the genre or replace HL2) but I think it will be fun and pretty challenging, especially as we've been told the various difficulty levels are quite varied - and Ramm even struggled to fight bots on very easy in an earlier demonstration version.

My only genuine complaints from what we've seen so far are the frankly quite **** font(s) used and names like 'Elite Rifleman' - 'Semi-Automatic Rifleman' would be much better. In fact, my preference would be using scenario/map-specific names like Stosstruppen or Panzergrenadier or whatever, kind of like in DH (and maybe even RO, but I can't remember as I so rarely play it).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If there is story in the single player campaign, one should be able to have sex with Rachel Weisz

This made me laugh Fedorov :D
Congratz my friend ! You earned a troll trophy !
trolltrophy.png

Reactions: Killyouall
Upvote 0