• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Firebug: The unbelievably powerful perk no one uses

It doesn't matter whether or not you get the kills, the fire damage is what matters. As long as you proc for 10 seconds, you're getting 10 seconds of fire damage. It's also much easier now to level it up because you can do so much more spot-on damage with the flamethrower. The firebug is top dog for the first 5 waves simply because of how much it can kill and how fast it can reload. In end-game it gets harder but is still doable.

Upvote 0
I had a game with my friends a few weeks ago and I remember someone was using firebug. They stopped using it pretty quickly because the flamethrower would severely weaken a target and not kill it. Commandos and sharpshooters then steal the kills. This might be different now as money goes on damage and not kills.

IMO, that is how the firebug is designed. http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=43503 As Compass mentioned, kills for Firebug don't really matter. Damage does.

Upvote 0
If you picked Firebug perk for kills, you're choosing the perk for the wrong reason.

With the new patch though, the MAC10 brings in a new tactic as a Firebug to where you can use a MAC10/Xbow. Unfortunately, I personally find this a little too OP when playing on Normal/Hard since we can easily one-shot Scrakes and FP's. I can only hope TWI fixes the damage scaling on the Xbow to where it will only be given the advantages under the hands of a Sharpshooter.

Edit: One thing I love about the MAC10 is I won't feel completely useless when a Husk comes up. Sure, we all had deagle brand deagles to use against them, but the MAC10 is clearly much easier to use with semi-automatic on.

Anyways, I've actually stopped playing with my favorite perk after this patch because I see more Firebugs than I want to; I can't wait to get on KF and enter an oven. Also OP's post is pretty spot on over how you should be playing a Firebug, having that ten seconds to hose down onslaught of zeds without the smoke can be damn helpful when things hit the fan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've got a question on Incendiary Grenades: do they do any direct damage, or do they merely light targets on fire?

Also, when do you tend to use them? As other classes barring demo, I'm chucking grenades whenever there's a group to clear, but as firebug I just wash flames over the group in two quick back and forth sprays, then follow up with quick puffs on anything that won't die from burnout or didn't get ignited.

Upvote 0
I've got a question on Incendiary Grenades: do they do any direct damage, or do they merely light targets on fire?

Also, when do you tend to use them? As other classes barring demo, I'm chucking grenades whenever there's a group to clear, but as firebug I just wash flames over the group in two quick back and forth sprays, then follow up with quick puffs on anything that won't die from burnout or didn't get ignited.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=44262

Scroll down to "firebug" and you'll see a few things about the flamenades. :)

Also, i'd be grateful if you read through it and proposed any new things you'd like to add! :eek:

Upvote 0
I'm getting sick of the new Firebugs using the Mac-10 on full auto at Level 2 to flatten enemies without ever getting the flamethrower. Ain't going to level that way =_=

Their problem They should've read the description of leveling for firebug:D

So they will likely be very confused when their perk never levels.

Leaving them eternally at level2

Upvote 0
The firebug is great for taking out lower level zeds, no other perk can match the firebug in this area but when it comes to fps/husk/scrake then a sharpie is needed. In effect this perk is meant for team work, so good team work is critical to the firebug as he does need a sharpie to take out the bigger zeds and medic when taking damage.

A maxed out bug can take a scrake solo on 6man hard easy. Especially with the mac as support. Let the scrake close a little distance. Pepper with mac. Let the dot cause crispy animation. Should be close enough for you to hose down. Even if the scrake rages hell be dead be for he gets his licks in. Works on suicidal but your more likely to take damage. Only the FP is a threat. IF you have distance+cover and a little fancy foot work, you can take a FP. Not recommended, but possible.

Upvote 0
Their problem They should've read the description of leveling for firebug:D

So they will likely be very confused when their perk never levels.

Leaving them eternally at level2

This is for the best.

Kinda like when someone rages the FP. You just put your hand gently on the shoulder of your SS and say, "no no, this is good, let this play itself out. The next FP will be better.". A good SS would then agree and crack a beer until the FP goes yellow again.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter whether or not you get the kills, the fire damage is what matters. As long as you proc for 10 seconds, you're getting 10 seconds of fire damage. It's also much easier now to level it up because you can do so much more spot-on damage with the flamethrower. The firebug is top dog for the first 5 waves simply because of how much it can kill and how fast it can reload. In end-game it gets harder but is still doable.

it's not about kills, but i find myself getting loads now anyway - mostly due to mac-ing on semi, particuarly on maps like farm.
Just light em and leave them to burn out before they get anywhere near you.
Being a firebug seems to be a license to print money now, and i agree - if i wanted to do as well as i could in a game i would select firebug certainly to lev 6 and probably till 9 or 10 if the rest of the team were doing a good job of the couple of things i couldn't.

Upvote 0
Firebugs are 100% broken... They are under to no one other than the Sharpshooter...

They spawn with a full loadout.. Flamethrowers is noob sauce imho.. actually scratch that flamethrowers is noob sauce.. FACT ... Not only is the fire animation coming from the gun blinding as hell, but it doesn't exactly conserve ammo.. There are no semi-auto flamethrowers...
So you want to get rid of the flamethrower asap.. sell that shiz for some ammo... for the god weapon that is the mac-10 ...

Why is the mac10 the god weapon? On semi auto mode .. a good to excellent player can head shot targets and let them burn to death.. this means that anything below a husk i.e. sirens, gorefast, etc,etc .. dies in one shot.. how much ammo does the mac10 have per clip? Oh that's right ~47 .. that;s 47 freaking kills... 6 magazines .. that is 282 weak zed kills...

Now you may ask oh but you can't kill scrakes, husks, and above.. wrong .. the mac10 is so light.. that you can carry a crossbow .. that's why ditching the flamethrower was the most optimal idea... now you are a killing machine that can play along side a sharp shooter and actually feel competent :D

YouTube - Killing Floor WeeMan Gameplay Montage TruHD [Part 1] <<<< this no scoping skillz + mac10 = rape?

I just hope they nerfed the crossbow enough so that I can consider a new alternate weapon for the firebug.. :) sadly I don't know what else to use... katana if patched... will be useless for non zerkers... guess I'll just load up a nade launcher :|

Last edited:
Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0
Firebugs are 100% broken... They are under to no one other than the Sharpshooter...

They spawn with a full loadout.. Flamethrowers is noob sauce imho.. actually scratch that flamethrowers is noob sauce.. FACT ... Not only is the fire animation coming from the gun blinding as hell, but it doesn't exactly conserve ammo.. There are no semi-auto flamethrowers...
So you want to get rid of the flamethrower asap.. sell that shiz for some ammo... for the god weapon that is the mac-10 ...

Why is the mac10 the god weapon? On semi auto mode .. a good to excellent player can head shot targets and let them burn to death.. this means that anything below a husk i.e. sirens, gorefast, etc,etc .. dies in one shot.. how much ammo does the mac10 have per clip? Oh that's right ~47 .. that;s 47 freaking kills... 6 magazines .. that is 282 weak zed kills...

Now you may ask oh but you can't kill scrakes, husks, and above.. wrong .. the mac10 is so light.. that you can carry a crossbow .. that's why ditching the flamethrower was the most optimal idea... now you are a killing machine that can play along side a sharp shooter and actually feel competent :D

YouTube - Killing Floor WeeMan Gameplay Montage TruHD [Part 1] <<<< this no scoping skillz + mac10 = rape?

I just hope they nerfed the crossbow enough so that I can consider a new alternate weapon for the firebug.. :) sadly I don't know what else to use... katana if patched... will be useless for non zerkers... guess I'll just load up a nade launcher :|

I think you have not played firebug too much. I can kill scrakes with Flamethrower or mac-10, using at about 10 ammo from mac and about 20 from FT. You just need some space to move. And if something goes wrong, you always have teamnates to rely on, and you always had! Firebug should not kill Scrakes, but if I need to kill it, I will kill it, and it is not so hard. For me mac-10 is for long range, FT is when big group is very close to me, or I need to clear the way in the hallway. So I play firebug with MAC-10 and FT, and have no problem with it at all. Oh, BTW, using xbow is for noobs only. Thanks for reading this

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They spawn with a full loadout..

A few people made mention of this when the Incendiary update was released. It looks as though it's been addressed in the first wave of the beta patch testing, so we should see the fix soon enough.

Flamethrowers is noob sauce imho.. actually scratch that flamethrowers is noob sauce.. FACT ... Not only is the fire animation coming from the gun blinding as hell, but it doesn't exactly conserve ammo.. There are no semi-auto flamethrowers...

If you just tap your mouse once when you need to shoot (think firing an ak/ m4 long range in CS 1.6) that will go a long way toward conserving your fuel canisters and making your flamethrower last for the whole round. The fire animation can be a visual obstruction for your teammates, which is another reason to tap-fire for individual streams. Not as bad as the smoke from a 40mm grenade though. If you ever need to go "full-auto" to hose down a hallway or mob to save a teammate, they'd better not complain about not being able to see. ;D

M10 is awesome for killing the lower-tier specimens. :D Assuming the player is disciplined enough to conserve their ammo and aim, I could see someone getting that many kills with the M10 alone. Similar to how an M14 Sharpshooter *shouldn't* spam body shots or how Demolitions players *shouldn't* put all their pipe-bombs on one door. I usually find myself using the M10 on Husks, a Scrake is charging me or if my flamethrower empties.

I'll actually find myself doing this occasionally if the team's sharpshooter (assuming we have one) needs a little help with Scrakes or Fleshpounds. The downside is you don't get a lot of xp from the M10 burn damage compared to the flamethrower, so hopefully you're doing that as a level 5 or six.

Nice video though. ^_^

Upvote 0