• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SCAR buff?

You guys are backwards thinking. You want to be able to kill Stalkers and Crawlers as efficiently as before, but the balance issue this brought, was that it was too good against Scrakes and FPs.

My idea is to not tweak the SCAR, but to tweak the Zeds. Leave SCAR as is and add a tiny bit extra weakness to SCAR shots for Stalkers and Crawlers. Problem solved(I think).

Upvote 0
You guys are backwards thinking. You want to be able to kill Stalkers and Crawlers as efficiently as before, but the balance issue this brought, was that it was too good against Scrakes and FPs.

My idea is to not tweak the SCAR, but to tweak the Zeds. Leave SCAR as is and add a tiny bit extra weakness to SCAR shots for Stalkers and Crawlers. Problem solved(I think).

Adding scar resistance/weakness to zeds seem to be harder to code than simply adding extra damage. I don't really know about coding but it should be easier to just increase SCAR dmg. Another easier way is just increase scrake and FP base health so that SCAR would not be as effective.

Upvote 0

Not really. Xenien has stated that he and Yoshi will work on a balance patch during their spare time. Consequently, any tweaks must be kept as simple as possible and messing with the Zeds is more work than simply adding damage to a weapon.

Upvote 0
Adding scar resistance/weakness to zeds seem to be harder to code than simply adding extra damage. I don't really know about coding but it should be easier to just increase SCAR dmg. Another easier way is just increase scrake and FP base health so that SCAR would not be as effective.
Not really. Xenien has stated that he and Yoshi will work on a balance patch during their spare time. Consequently, any tweaks must be kept as simple as possible and messing with the Zeds is more work than simply adding damage to a weapon.

Fleshpound has an explosive weakness, Husk has Fire resistance, Scrake has explosive resistance. I don't think it's as complex as you guys make it out to be. Adding damage also affects the whole game; if you tweak the Zeds, you only need to test the weapon on those Zeds to see the difference. So while it means more code work(still not even that difficult if they can already to it to other Specimens), it's less testing by a longshot.
If you increase the damage you have to play through the game quite a bit to see how the change affects FP outcomes and to see if it's too OP for spamming in tight spots. And a lot of other stuff too I'm guessing.

Upvote 0
Fleshpound has an explosive weakness, Husk has Fire resistance, Scrake has explosive resistance. I don't think it's as complex as you guys make it out to be. Adding damage also affects the whole game; if you tweak the Zeds, you only need to test the weapon on those Zeds to see the difference. So while it means more code work(still not even that difficult if they can already to it to other Specimens), it's less testing by a longshot.
If you increase the damage you have to play through the game quite a bit to see how the change affects FP outcomes and to see if it's too OP for spamming in tight spots. And a lot of other stuff too I'm guessing.

Just because you don't think it's complex doesn't mean they have the time for it. Yes the other specimens have resistance/weaknesses, but that was implemented when they were working primarily on KF. The whole team is working on HoS and Xenien has specifically stated that any changes must be simple and applied mainly to raw damage and numbers.

As for the amount of testing, that's what beta testers are for.

Upvote 0
If it means a more effective solution, I'd happily wait for it.
I'll go for the simpler fix.
Introducing specific resistances is not simple. It's something new.

For instance, pounds have a resistance to everything but explosives and husks are resistant to fire.
However so far there is no specimen who, for example, takes more damage from pistol shots than from any other weapon (which wouldn't make "sense" since everything shoots bullets).
Specific resistances like this don't exist yet and I don't think they'll be introduced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll go for the simpler fix.

Introducing specific resistances is not simple.
For instance, pounds have a resistance to everything but explosives and husks are resistant to fire.
However so far there is no specimen who is, for example, takes more damage from pistol shots than from any other weapon (which wouldn't make "sense" since everything shoots bullets).
Specific resistances like this don't exist yet and I don't think they'll be introduced.
Firebug levels from that Fire damage.
Demo levels from that Explosive damage.

Commando levels from its specific weapons damage. Can we not make Stalkers and Crawlers weaker to these?
Thinking along the same lines, there's an achievement for 1000 SCAR kills, so there must constantly be a check for SCAR damage already. Can some of this code not be tweaked and recycled? The resistences may not exist, but the means to detect the damage from specific weapons do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just played Hard, 6 men multiplayer. Lvl 6 commando.

Combination was,

Scar
Dual-HC
Katana
Pipes of course (always saving em to those situations when nearly every hope is gone. Perhaps, hope not, dont have to use at all)

Dual HC was stronger against single creatures, it seems that it is. Scar was better if you are surraunded of crawlers or else.

Against FP full load of Scar, then swap to Dual HC. If someone is with you, FP is gonna go down, depends.

Katana for Scrake.

I just luv Dual HC, because of fast reload of those. Pretty high damage also. Dual HCs are cool.

10 wave i run out of ammo Scar, but HCs got still ammo.

I use multifire only with Scar. I think its cooler this way.

If somekind of buff, it would be more ammo for Scar. Autofire is also fun to use, also needed because of nerfing. This eat bullets.

So perhaps more ammo for Scar.

Imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be honest, the only thing I miss about the old SCAR was its ability to 1 shot crawlers.

Although now that I think about it, I spent most of my time on hard (friends had a bunch of low level perks, I had just a high commando). Was it able to 1-shot crawlers on 6-man suicidal as a level 6 commando?

Yes. I don't use it anymore. I use the AK in it's place. It has more ammo, faster reload, and the damage isn't much different.

Upvote 0
Tweaks for balance changes should be strictly in cost, recoil, carrying weight, and reload speed. Changing a weapons power throws everything off especially for players who are lvl 6 and are used to the power of what the gun can do like, kill a crawler in one hit. IMO the SCAR should be raised to 3000 pounds, increase its recoil and return it to its original power level.
kudos for doubling the Xbow's price, I was very pleased to see that.

Upvote 0
Tweaks for balance changes should be strictly in cost, recoil, carrying weight, and reload speed. Changing a weapons power throws everything off especially for players who are lvl 6 and are used to the power of what the gun can do like, kill a crawler in one hit. IMO the SCAR should be raised to 3000 pounds, increase its recoil and return it to its original power level.
kudos for doubling the Xbow's price, I was very pleased to see that.

The SCAR was fine exactly how it was before. I am not sure why they even changed it. I used it on semi blowing off heads, and it would drop a gorefast in one shot, now it takes a headshot and two bodyshots(suicidal). It is pathetically weak now. The slow reload balanced out its power. Now with it being a slow reload, and weak, I'll just stick with the AK.

Upvote 0
The key is to keep it on full auto and learn to do 2 round bursts.

actually, i've found that the key is to use semi-auto and the scope to go for headshots. you can one shot 5 of 9 zeds if you get headshot decaps. if you miss with the first shot, a quick double-tap will do the trick. pointless to take 2 or 3 shots in bursts if you don't need too....just a waste of ammo, which you now have less of

Upvote 0
Just ran through a couple suicidal games with SCAR. It isn't as bad as I thought. The key is to keep it on full auto and learn to do 2 round bursts. The two bullets hit almost the same spot, it worked quite well.

Except the AK can do that too. With identical results, except ammo is more plentiful and recoil isn't as harsh. Plus the AK is cheaper, and you spawn with it at level 6.

actually, i've found that the key is to use semi-auto and the scope to go for headshots. you can one shot 5 of 9 zeds if you get headshot decaps. if you miss with the first shot, a quick double-tap will do the trick. pointless to take 2 or 3 shots in bursts if you don't need too....just a waste of ammo, which you now have less of
Again, the AK's headshots are just as lethal as the SCAR's. Its not that the SCAR is terrible, its just that it no longer has any appreciable advantage over the AK. Unless you have some deep hatred of ironsights.

Upvote 0