• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank bail-out animation

The only question I have is, if one tank loses a track and cannot kill anything from the position it is stuck, will be waiting the whole match to be killed?

I mean, as an enemy I would prefer to leave that player there chewing his anger and with one less tank able to harass my cap zones. what would happen then? A necessary TK?

:IS2:

type "suicide" into your console to respawn with a new tank.......immobilizing an enemy tank, like disabling tracks or destroying the gun or sights, would be just as effective as completely blowing it to pieces.

Upvote 0
It's highly unrealistic to force people to fight to the death in a burning tank. In real life if that happened you'd bail, and fight your way out if need be. That's why tank crew had grenades/pistols/smgs after all.

I recall many times in RO1 having had to bail from a doomed tank, and having had an epic fight for survival on foot afterwards. It would be a shame to lose that.

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
It's highly unrealistic to force people to fight to the death in a burning tank. In real life if that happened you'd bail, and fight your way out if need be. That's why tank crew had grenades/pistols/smgs after all.

I recall many times in RO1 having had to bail from a doomed tank, and having had an epic fight for survival on foot afterwards. It would be a shame to lose that.

Same here, nothing more epic than getting shot and then the tank starts burning, and while the gunner refuses to get out, you and the other guy jump out, and run for your life, machinegun fire in your back, your mate doesn't make it, you keep running, tank explodes, but you made it. You fight your way to the other groups and either fight or grab another ride,

Upvote 0
i also agree that the basic survival instincts of a person would be to exit their tank should they realize it's destruction is inevitable. when i discussed this with Alan and John, Alan seemed to be open to looking at it as a possibility, but noted just how much work it would require to impliment it and to keep in perspective just how common/uncommon that situation would occur in game.......so in the end would all the work be worth it? that'll be up to them to decide, or like Alan said, there's always the modding community who could create a mutator to make it happen

Upvote 0
I'm gonna throw in my vote to include bail-out animations. Yeah it'll take time to do but it'll make everyone happy and the game will be that much better for it.

I'd rather we had vulnerable tankers running around after jumping out of their flaming rust bucket, than to have some sort of gamey repair system so people can just sit in the tank all day.

Upvote 0
I'm gonna throw in my vote to include bail-out animations. Yeah it'll take time to do but it'll make everyone happy and the game will be that much better for it.

I'd rather we had vulnerable tankers running around after jumping out of their flaming rust bucket, than to have some sort of gamey repair system so people can just sit in the tank all day.

I second this vote.

Upvote 0

Seconded. It's more realistic to bail out anyways, I mean, unless my commander crazy glued my *** to the chair.

Upvote 0
what do you think will happen after you bail? will you pick up a gun and join the infantry in the fight? i think the limitation is fair, it's really best if you stay inside the tank and die, so you can respawn. otherwise you're running around the map with a pistol, or you pick up a weapon and join the fight, which isn't really realistic

Not being able to get out of a tank and doing it because you will respawn is much more realistic than getting out and trying to survive?

I've read lots of history books and I can confirm this is true...People would much rather stay inside their tanks and respawn than try to survive.

-

This should be in by default. Getting in and out of tanks. Getting in wouldn't necessary need an animation but at the very least I would expect to be able to "Get inside" a vehicle and "Get outside" the vehicle. An animation would be "Pro" on the developers behalf and would start making other game developers think about their games quality a bit more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yes, s

Upvote 0
Not being able to get out of a tank and doing it because you will respawn is much more realistic than getting out and trying to survive?

I've read lots of history books and I can confirm this is true...People would much rather stay inside their tanks and respawn than try to survive.

-

This should be in by default. Getting in and out of tanks. Getting in wouldn't necessary need an animation but at the very least I would expect to be able to "Get inside" a vehicle and "Get outside" the vehicle. An animation would be "Pro" on the developers behalf and would start making other game developers think about their games quality a bit more.

Please note which books, because to be honest I don't believe you.

It was NOT rare for a tank crew to bail out upon their tank being disabled beyond fighting condition. They would bail, or fight it out until the enemies retreated, or the crew surrendered. A crew would NOT wait for an anti tank gun or another tank to waste them.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forum...Rare-clip-of-German-panther-tank-on-fire-1944

There is a fine example of a tank crew bailing out upon being knocked out by an enemy tank. Scroll down for a play-by-play on the video, with pictures.

Also, guys. I am not disagreeing with the tanking system, I fully support a full crew, be it AI or players. Although I really do not enjoy being forced to be anywhere in an FPS. If I want to bail out and continue helping my team, I should be able to do so. I should NOT be locked in my burning tank when a hatch is right there.

The devs themselves said it was due to taking too long to implement. It's sheer "laziness" if you want to say, not a gameplay decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland777
Upvote 0
It isn't laziness if you're weighing the pro's and con's of implementing it against the frequency of use, and the general usefulness of the thing in game.

The only reason bailing out is of any use what-so-ever in ROOST is because it happens so quickly. If you take that away then it's almost guaranteed death whilst you try and escape as the enemy tank/infantry will have plenty of time to take you out as you dismount.

It's clear that the workload involved to get it done outweighs by far the actual benefit to the gameplay/player.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It isn't laziness if you're weighing the pro's and con's of implementing it against the frequency of use, and the general usefulness of the thing in game.

The only reason bailing out is of any use what-so-ever in ROOST is because it happens so quickly. If you take that away then it's almost guaranteed death whilst you try and escape as the enemy tank/infantry will have plenty of time to take you out as you dismount.

It's clear that the workload involved to get it done outweighs by far the actual benefit to the gameplay/player.

The ONLY situations where it isn't useful is when an enemy tank is loaded and ready to fire on your flaming tank, or when being cornered by enemy infantry while you're on fire. In any other case, you're more than capable of bailing out safely. It happens a ton in ROOST.

Restricting an entire class' area of operations is a pretty big deal. The more and more I think about this, the more I am not liking the inability to escape. Being stuck in a treadless tank behind the front lines with no targets is a few too many steps to realism in games in my eyes.

Upvote 0
Same here, nothing more epic than getting shot and then the tank starts burning, and while the gunner refuses to get out, you and the other guy jump out, and run for your life, machinegun fire in your back, your mate doesn't make it, you keep running, tank explodes, but you made it. You fight your way to the other groups and either fight or grab another ride,

This post just made me realize another issue with the ability to bail out. You mentioned fighting your way back and hopping in another tank.

Well, it's not like there were a whole lot of empty tanks just laying around waiting for tankless tank crews (OK, unless it's the Tractor Factory).

So even that is sort of pointless.

Upvote 0
The ONLY situations where it isn't useful is when an enemy tank is loaded and ready to fire on your flaming tank, or when being cornered by enemy infantry while you're on fire. In any other case, you're more than capable of bailing out safely. It happens a ton in ROOST.

I disagree, if an enemy tank is so much as looking at you with a manned MG (which it will do), or if enemy infantry are bearing down on you (which they will do if they saw you were damaged and/or were the reason you were damaged) then bailing will be completely useless. These are the only situations where you would bail, and they'd be useless. So you have to agree it's wasted effort?

I'm not saying it's totally realistic, but how many tank simulators have you able to bail out of the tank? None.

Just think of it as instead of playing as a character in a tank, you are part of the machine. It's not about the individual.
Fixing the crews in the tanks will adjust the mentality of the tankers and likely make them more responsible/less likely to act recklessly, and like I said, I never bail. So I'm all for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I posted this before but....

Well if you read Ramm's comment, you should notice that they are not opposed to bailing, but they won't implement it without Complete Exit Animations.

Considering you got 2 to 4 Positions in each Tank (if you consider maybe future Updates which may/or not contain Tanks with 2 Slots), and 2-3 Player Slots per Tank.

So lets assume 3 Exit Points per Tank on Average, if we only include the announced additional Tanks (2), this would make it necessary to create 3 (Positions) x 4 (Tanks) x 2 (1st/3rd Person Animations = 24 Animations which they have at least to do.
And no those are not "easy" Animations, if one really wants to do a thorough Job, this is really tedious work. As every Tank has a different interior/exterior.

Considering that the Game is in an Alpha Stage, there will be enough Animations left to be done in the Game (1st Person Sprinting Animations for example ^^).
In addition to that the announced Transports will need some Animations too (yeah its a good guess that they want to do Exit/Entry Animations for Transports), not to forget the Interior Animations of the Crews, the loader for example has probably different Animations in EVERY Tank, as the Driver.

This is not laziness!!, its a simple fact that you have to allocate a lot of Man Power to the "simple" Exit Problem.

Upvote 0
This is very frustrating. I said "laziness" extremely loosely due to lack of a better word. My point was that this feature really shouldn't even be argued with on a gameplay standpoint, and that lots will be disappointed if they don't take the time to implement it. Even the devs recognize that to a degree. It's just as witzig said with the allocation of manpower. I'm not trying to call the devs lazy.

I disagree, if an enemy tank is so much as looking at you with a manned MG (which it will do), or if enemy infantry are bearing down on you (which they will do if they saw you were damaged and/or were the reason you were damaged) then bailing will be completely useless. These are the only situations where you would bail, and they'd be useless. So you have to agree it's wasted effort?

I'm not saying it's totally realistic, but how many tank simulators have you able to bail out of the tank? None.

Red Orchestra is not a tank simulator. It has simulated tank combat down to the bone, but it's not a simulator. The main difference being there is also infantry, and the ability to be a part of the infantry combat outside of your job title. If the game was purely tanks, I would agree, but there is a whole region of combat cut off when your tank is disabled. You are instantly useless to the team, and in a boring situation.

There are too many variables for you to state "the only times you would bail out of a tank". Many times you will survive, and many times you will die. There are certainly enough situations that bailing would be completely useful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is very frustrating. I said "laziness" extremely loosely due to lack of a better word. My point was that this feature really shouldn't even be argued with on a gameplay standpoint, and that lots will be disappointed if they don't take the time to implement it. Even the devs recognize that to a degree. It's just as witzig said with the allocation of manpower. I'm not trying to call the devs lazy.

Well with complete Bailout Animations there is no Gameplay issue with Tank Crews leaving their Tank, they get either shot down by the Tank/Infantry which damaged theirs.
Though i'd like to see if/when Tank Bailout becomes possible that the used up Tank Commander Role becomes free to get used by other Players. Since if you give up your Tank instead of despawning it (which is a confirmed Feature), your robbing your Side of a Tank.
If your "lucky" enough to die fast enough to reselect your Tank Commander role you get a new Tank.

just my 2 Cents

Upvote 0
Red Orchestra is not a tank simulator. It has simulated tank combat down to the bone, but it's not a simulator. The main difference being there is also infantry, and the ability to be a part of the infantry combat outside of your job title. If the game was purely tanks, I would agree, but there is a whole region of combat cut off when your tank is disabled. You are instantly useless to the team, and in a boring situation.

Sorry, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Would anybody argue that a rifleman should be able to hop in a tank? I doubt it. You're advocating the same thing in reverse. You've chosen your role, now live with it (for the duration of the round).

Upvote 0