• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rock Paper Shotgun Tank Interview discussion

^^^Draw me a perfect circle, freehand, using MS paint please.

True enough, but my point stands that there's still more than enough keys to have directional commands AND keyboard turret aiming. WASD for general directional commands, the numpad for more subtle commands (e.g. "move foward 10 meters, turn left 5 degrees, etc.") and the arrow keys for turret movement. Or any mix and match version of that that you'd like.

What if you want to take your eyes of the scope and look out of the slits at the side of the turret? Or if you wanted to un-button and use your (bi)knock(ul)ers? You'd be switching from numpad to mouse quite often.

Like I said earlier, it's no big deal how TWI implement the controls because with relatively small changes to a few ini files you can have the keys represent the mouse movement and use the controls any way you want...

Upvote 0
As long as the "time-to-do" effort is realistically factored, then mousing is a prefectly functional interface.

Having mouse "clickable cockpits" has been an on-going want (make that goal) for combat simulations, whether this be for flight sims, tank sims, or otherwise. Having mouse interfacing and interactive controls available for vehicle interiors and crew position use in HEROES is actually a huge gaiming refinement.

Upvote 0
As long as the "time-to-do" effort is realistically factored, then mousing is a prefectly functional interface.

Having mouse "clickable cockpits" has been an on-going want (make that goal) for combat simulations, whether this be for flight sims, tank sims, or otherwise. Having mouse interfacing and interactive controls available for vehicle interiors and crew position use in HEROES is actually a huge gaiming refinement.

did you play Falcon 4.0? After the F4UT patches, the cockpit was fully mouseable, with every single switch, knob, dial and button that a real F-16 had.

Upvote 0
What if you want to take your eyes of the scope and look out of the slits at the side of the turret? Or if you wanted to un-button and use your (bi)knock(ul)ers? You'd be switching from numpad to mouse quite often.

Like I said earlier, it's no big deal how TWI implement the controls because with relatively small changes to a few ini files you can have the keys represent the mouse movement and use the controls any way you want...

The ROOST system allows you to look around inside the turret currently, what's the problem here? If it's no big deal to implement the controls, then isn't it reasonable for the devs to make the turret controls bindable to the keyboard and "look" bindable to the mouse movement? WASD for gross hull movement, keypad for fine hull movement, arrows for turret movement. Scroll back from "scope" view to look out of various viewports, or scroll up into "unbuttoned/binocular" view. Make it all bindable so we can do what works for us.

All I was originally saying was that the arguement that "there's not enough buttons" was false. There's plenty of buttons.

I guess that mouse control works alright, but if you're talking fine control when you're shooting at targets out past 1500 meters, the mouse would be a pain in the ***. Will ROHOS ship with maps that large? Probably not, but as with ROOST it would be nice that it develops into such a game, and that the controls are designed to grow with it.

Upvote 0
did you play Falcon 4.0? After the F4UT patches, the cockpit was fully mouseable, with every single switch, knob, dial and button that a real F-16 had.
No I haven't Peter, but that sounds fantastic!

Not too many flight sims have even modeled pilot bodies or aircrews to be seen from the 1st-person view (as a starting point for realistic interfacing movement).

There's been limited implementation of "clickable cockpits" in a few other flight sims, along with moveable switches, toggles, etc.

The fact that HEROES is having animated 1st-person figure modeling, with the ability to interface with the tank's interior controls, while being able to move to, into, and away from viewing ports, sights, periscopes, or within hatches, and to see the working animations of both crew and weapons also, even having crew death animations, is pretty complete stuff. Sounds like TrackIR isn't needed for any of this viewing either (whether if playing as a tanker, or a grunt either).

Very impressed by these full viewing abilities built-into just our basic PC controls.

Upvote 0
The ROOST system allows you to look around inside the turret currently, what's the problem here? If it's no big deal to implement the controls, then isn't it reasonable for the devs to make the turret controls bindable to the keyboard and "look" bindable to the mouse movement? WASD for gross hull movement, keypad for fine hull movement, arrows for turret movement. Scroll back from "scope" view to look out of various viewports, or scroll up into "unbuttoned/binocular" view. Make it all bindable so we can do what works for us.

All I was originally saying was that the arguement that "there's not enough buttons" was false. There's plenty of buttons.

I guess that mouse control works alright, but if you're talking fine control when you're shooting at targets out past 1500 meters, the mouse would be a pain in the ***. Will ROHOS ship with maps that large? Probably not, but as with ROOST it would be nice that it develops into such a game, and that the controls are designed to grow with it.

I get what you're saying - the difference is that it isn't the ROOST system anymore.

There are more controls bound/to bind, and TWI will want to keep them as simple as possible.

It was never that there wasn't enough buttons, but that the simplest configuration of these controls is to have your normal movement keys and the mouse. Again, we've reached the point where we can't discuss further without knowing more - and I imagine whatever the system is it will be refined over the beta.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No I haven't Peter, but that sounds fantastic!

Not too many flight sims have even modeled pilot bodies or aircrews to be seen from the 1st-person view (as a starting point for realistic interfacing movement).

There's been limited implementation of "clickable cockpits" in a few other flight sims, along with moveable switches, toggles, etc.

The fact that HEROES is having animated 1st-person figure modeling, with the ability to interface with the tank's interior controls, while being able to move to, into, and away from viewing ports, sights, periscopes, or within hatches, and to see the working animations of both crew and weapons also, even having crew death animations, is pretty complete stuff. Sounds like TrackIR isn't needed for any of this viewing either (whether if playing as a tanker, or a grunt either).

Very impressed by these full viewing abilities built-into just our basic PC controls.

Falcon 4.0 came out in 1998 or 1999. :D

It didn't have a view of the players own body, but it had pretty much everything else you could want.

Upvote 0
To me the best solution for keyboard controlled aiming would seem to be simply using another button to easily switch between turret and movement command controls. You would be using WASD (or arrow keys, in my case) to move the turret just like in Ostfront, but if you hold down, say, the sprint button (Shift) and press the appropriate WASD buttons you'd give movement orders instead. Release Shift to go back to aiming.

Upvote 0
I also agree about what you said regarding the mouse. It in general wouldn't feel like a tank as much, would lose that mechanical feeling a bit.

Most turrets in WWII Tanks got rotated by Electric Motors anyway...

though even with winches n' stuff you be more accurate than Button Aiming allows. And with accurate i mean getting to rest the Gunreticule on the point you aim for on the first try.

Upvote 0
Ideally they'll use a mouse-based "virtual joystick" like Steel Beasts for the actual aiming of tank guns. It's easily the best system I've ever used since it allows analogue control without that stupid drag-stop-drag-stop that people seem to be worried about with mouse control and it completely avoids any spinning the turret at speeds the sim doesn't/shouldn't allow.

Upvote 0
When a player chooses a tank role they have the option of locking the tank, or allowing other people to join their crew.
I love this option, lately i seem to attract noobies and i don't want them in my tank at all!

Another frustrating thing was standing around waiting for a tank to spawn. Tankers now always spawn inside their tank, and respawn with their tank. Additionally every level will feature enough tanks so that every tanker will have a tank.

I love you

Upvote 0