• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gamescon gossip.

i think we'll get more at each event they've got lined up. for the first two events, i'm actually expecting to see more news about KF, the Ball, RS and whatever these other "ventures" will be. sure we'll get some ROHOS news, but i'm expecting more of that at the later shows since they'll be closer to the tentative "Q2 2011" release window 1C still posts.

for Gamescon, i honestly don't expect TOO much yet......they've still got 3 more events to spread out all the info they want to share.

this is what ROHOS news i think we'll get from this one:

• announcement of tanks
  • some new single player info
  • video showing demo "beta" stage gameplay
  • release of some more specific "public" beta details
  • typical, some new screenshots of new maps/skins/graphics/development etc....
at PAX i expect more news regarding the music since Sam will be there and i also expect a more defined release window, realistically maybe the month. also at PAX i'm expecting an specific date/plan for whatever they will do for the large scale public beta either through a pre-purchase, registration etc....

i'm realistically not expecting an official trailer of any sort until SIEGE in november, which is also when i expect to see the official release date (m/d/y).

I never expect anything, that way I'm rarely disappointed :D

Upvote 0
Although I'm expecting that eventually HOS will find its way to different console platforms. I think TWI would make a specialized version that works ideal on console hardware after the PC version has been used somewhat as a testing platform first.

So even if TWI might do some in house experiments on the consoles, I don't think we'd see something like a simultaneous release. Especially as stuff like updates can be pretty hard to do on consoles (although steamworks on ps3 could change that).

But it would sure be interesting if TWI announced whether it will be on additional platforms in the long run either MAC or PS3/X360

the games for my 360 update easily. easy as pie. and quick.

Upvote 0
the games for my 360 update easily. easy as pie. and quick.

The client is not the issue, its that there is a max amount and size of updates for the xbox 360. For instance epic couldn't put out the black update for UT3 for free. And valve had some of the same issues with their games.

Simply said putting out an update on the x360 costs the developer money that they need to pay to Microsoft. Its one of the reasons why ID and Epic were so against the consoles in the eye of the public initially.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if anyone else saw what Guild Wars 2 has released before their gamescon demo. But I'm hoping for something similar from HoS.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/videos/

yup, both games are gonna be revolutionary in their respective genres, TWI needs to fire their heavy artillery too with gameplay and summing up all features that makes it revolutionary.

:IS2:

Upvote 0
So wait a minute , you don't expect much but still you just lined up a ton
of info that you think we'll get? I lol'ed.

what i listed really isn't much at all, at least compared to what others have posted they expect to see and compared to what i said i expect to see from the later events

You got to remember that gamescom is the biggest gaming event in the world (bigger than E3 and bigger than Pax). From here we got the first shakey cam videos, and TWI has already said they will be demonstrating the game in a similar fashion again. And they are based in the stand of the actual publisher of HOS in Europe.

while it might be the biggest event, that doesnt mean they would "go all out".....chances are that anything major like a release date or trailer wouldn't get any more "legitimate" press than something as small as shakey cam beta gameplay since realistically speaking, all the major press will be going to all the big name companies anyway :( they were sharing 1C's stand last year as well, and just because they're using the same booth doesn't mean TW or HOS will be the center of attention, but more so that 1C is promoting themselves.

Its the only event in Europe home of the majority of the RO players. And this event can reach the biggest audience.

sure Europe may have the majority of players for ROOST, but the largest region in the gaming market is still the US, and you have to remember that a large majority of Americans are completely ignorant of the rest of the world and probably don't even know what Gamescon is.....TW needs to be tapping into reaching NEW player markets since it's not like the current fanbase is going away any time soon. preaching to the choir isn't gonna get more people into the choir. RO didnt do as well in the US market as it could have and that's where the main focus needs to be to reach the largest audience. granted Gamescon will have tons of press from the US there, but as for actual players? hopefully TW gets a ton of great press in American sites/blogs/magazines/TV etc.... but we'll just have to see

Whatever is happening at Gamescom I definitively think that they will try to start the hype train.

sure i think they'll be able to hype up more gameplay features through some demo gameplay, but to me the "big" news is always the release date, a trailer, anouncement of earlier demo/beta access and prepurchase. i just don't think they're at that point quite yet, at least from what we've seen so far.......but as usual, they could be holding out on us and have a lot more done than we think.

i'm honestly hoping to be surprised, but i still expect more focus put on other projects than ROHOS like KF, the ball and the "other" ventures and more HOS news will leak out as we get closer to the "tentative" release window.

i love surprises :eek::D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are still plenty of people unaware of RO in Europe. Remember just like RO didn't really get any marketing in the US the same was the case in the EU. Generally the second world war scenario especially when the battle is not about Americans attracts more European people than American.

The difference of a trailer is that a trailer can be run on a monitor in the booth, the presentation like the last time is only for the press and only people will show up there that are interested in HOS to begin with. If there is a trailer made already it just doesn't make a lot of sense to only show it at Siege rather than showing it at PAX and Gamescom as both as well. Now of course the game could be in a state atm that a trailer is not feasible. But I think with major events primarily focussed at the public rather than the press as is the case with Pax and Gamescom the goal would be to make people know that HOS exists. And trailers grab people their attention a lot quicker than stills.

Next to that remember that if for instance an American company like Tripwire makes a game and releases it in Europe it adds to both European as American revenue. And that although there are more American gamers, the smaller section of actual PC gamers was bigger in Europe if I recall right. http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ If you look at the regular steam stats you see that even there the peak times of activity correlate with the peak times of the European timezone more than with the American time zone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0