• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Mafia II - Megathread

When the rest of the game is at least somewhat authentic, why do modern social commentary?

Completely agreed. Sure, there were some cheesy commercials back in the 50s, but in Mafia II it's like the developers want to throw it in our face about how uninformed or stupid people were as comedic value.

YouTube - ‪A Fabulous 1950's Commercial for Coca-Cola (Coke) (No 4)‬‎

This commercial gets the product across just fine, and I do think it's interesting that he mentions about it having half the calories of a grapefruit, but if this commercial were put into Mafia II, the man would probably mention something ridiculous such as how Coke increases your lifespan. So while Mafia II isn't advertised as a documentary, based on the original Mafia I was expecting a realistic and serious portrayal of this time period.

Upvote 0
I guess you guys lived in the 50s and knew what it was like on a day-to-day basis? Old ads and things like that were always over the top. That's just classic salesmanship.

I study the 40s and 50s for fun. Regardless, I'm not talking about the ads, I'm talking about the radio host making obvious modern social commentary in a 1940/50's setting.

Upvote 0
I guess you guys lived in the 50s and knew what it was like on a day-to-day basis? Old ads and things like that were always over the top. That's just classic salesmanship.

I didn't live in the 1950s, heck, I haven't even lived 20 years of my life. But it's this fact that serves as a catalyst for my interest in history and gaming in general. Unless a time machine is constructed, I will never be able to experience past eras in history, therefore the closest things are interactive forms of media such as games. And as for the 1920s-1960s specifically, I love collecting antiques, the music, watching classic movies, so an accurate atmosphere is something I was really looking forward to.

Upvote 0
I found Mafia I to be as boring as it was historically accurate. I know that's not a sentiment everyone has (and hey, I got my 20 minutes of immersion from driving 30 mph down the street), but there's a reason Mafia I was reviewed as bland and a little stodgy. I'm not saying that justifies slathering the sequel in pop culture or goofiness...but they had their reasons.

Upvote 0
Okay, after playing a couple of hours, here are my impressions, and I'm a huge fan of the original Mafia. My main interest in Mafia II was for the atmosphere and portrayal of the decade, not any interest in the Mafia, so I have focused mainly on that.

Pros:

-Excellent music, and although limited, I suspect this is because it's a demo.
-The car design is greatand fits the era very well.
-The city feels alive with numerous pedestrians doing different activities.
-Some of the visual effects, such as fire and crumbling walls.
-Surprisingly the Playboy magazines, although the issues in the demo are from the 1960s.

Cons:

-While the music and cars are great, I feel like I'm playing a satirical view of the 1950s and not an accurate portrayal of the decade. The radio announcer makes it too obvious that things like color television and portable telephones seemed surreal at the time, like we're supposed to laugh because everyone has a cell phone and credit card now. There are also too many obvious slights against women and rock and roll, which weren't actually thrown in your face all the time. After awhile I couldn't help but think, "Yeah I get it already." I was kind of worried that Mafia II would become Grand Theft Auto in the 50s with all the obvious pop culture jokes and satire.
-The comments made by the cops are repetitive and a bit too aggressive and vulgar. I also don't feel compelled to follow the law as I did in Mafia.
-Visual effects such as the police lights and headlights.
-The heavy post-processing and vibrant colors.
-Accidents are too often and are generally caused by quirks in the AI.

This.
There is a simple Hex edit of the Exe that allows for infinite time.

As for the AI, you mean the same thing as GTA IV, where a taxi driver will drive into the person I'm supposed to meet for a mission, or where I get out of a taxi and get hit by a passer by with little health and die?
Or how about trying to drive normally for once, sat at a red light and a car comes ramming into me.

Upvote 0
I love the demo. Played it for 4 hours already. Got all the playboys, entered every enter-able building. Now just doing robberies, shootouts, and car chases.
How? The demo has a 10min time limit, unless you do the mission, and then you have to go through the mission.

I am guessing modding the demo to allow unlimited game play in a way?

Upvote 0
How? The demo has a 10min time limit, unless you do the mission, and then you have to go through the mission.

I am guessing modding the demo to allow unlimited game play in a way?

Nope. The time limit doesn't apply to the mission and the free roam lasts around 13minutes. Once those 13minutes are up you can just restart back at your house. The time limit isnt much of a hassle at all really.

Upvote 0
Hope the handling of the cars is better in the final, it seemed just wonky. Possibly because I am so used to the way its done in GTA4. And maybe its been badly ported from a handheld analog stick to keyboard. I like however that you can actually die in head-on crashes and the cops come after you for speeding.

The shooty bits were great, I like the destructible environments and the guns. Glad there are no

Upvote 0
Thanks for the vid. I still don't see anything but an extremely minor difference. Slightly more movement in the clothes and slightly more particles in explosions and that's all. And on my machine that is a difference between ultra smooth zero hiccup or slideshow in combat.
Well, at first it looks like small details, but after you see a whole street or the clothes store full of debris it just looks like a must-have for me :p
I don't know why Vito's house and its surroundings with Apex on high make my fps go down to 15fps, while in the rest of the city it's around 30-40 fps.

Don't worry if you cant run it so well with Apex on. In the first hours after the demo release it was really terrible and unplayable, but later they launched an update that improved the performance a lot, so I guess in the full release the performance will be greatly increased.

Upvote 0
Just played the demo.

Gameplay a little dull, nothing new or exciting usual 3rd person console experience.

Graphics are blurry and lack sharpness even at 2560x1600.

Acting, sounds and and effects are excellent. Nice authentic feeling if a little overdone.

Demo does not last long enough for me to make a deeper judgement on the characters, however none have inspired me to put money down on the pre-order. So I wont.

Upvote 0