• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The battle you would most like to see represented in RS

Every region of every part of the Pacific war has been open to discussion. Of course not everything can be included but we are working toward a realistic set of locations that are feasible in an initial release. We have only so many resources and so much time so obviously we will miss some areas due to these restraints. I think people will be very pleased with what we offer initially and there is nothing that says additional content won't or can't follow on later.

The TWI team along with Tony will probably have some more to reveal in the coming weeks. Until then speculation is your only outlet. ;)

Upvote 0
I think it would be 'wise' to first concentrate on the more known battles, to draw ppl into the game, and later add some less known battles.

As Yathzee put it: "It's the same old war that we have all seen before".

It's questionable if labeling an island Iwo Jima to "Letters came from this place" would change the game, but I'm sick and tired of the famous and big battles of WWII. Especially when portrayed by one platoon by side at max.

Besides I don't think that customers make their decision of buying or not buying the game because it says that it has "the most gory and famous battles of the Pacific theatre". Instead, I believe that the theatre of war plays far more major role.

Upvote 0
if a map in a game is named "battle of okinawa" then that gives you an idea of the quality and accuracy of the game.
i don't think you will see any of that in RS, you will have a tiny snippet of the battle that is being represented.
hopefully the most exciting, interesting or spectacular snippet, but in no way we can have to pretention to say "here this map is the battle for the philippines" that would be silly.

it's quite sad, but real, that if a map name has even the slightest thing to do with hollywood, that it will have much more succes no matter how good or bad it is.
you could throw a lazy random map together of a beach and two bunkers and call it "omaha beach", and 2 weeks later the map will have it's own freakin server...

Upvote 0
We will be working out the naming conventions for maps. As Sepp just pointed out, if we do a map set on "Okinawa", I seriously doubt it would be named "RS-Okinawa". Since we are covering a huge geographic area, we will have a rational and logical naming scheme for our levels. What we want to do is provide an obvious idea what the location is without being generic. Recall that we will have level/mission briefing screens to pass along details.

We also hope that there will be some community support in the development of new levels. It is impossible for our team to fully cover any one 'battle' end to end or even hit more than one aspect in our initial plan. Therefore we expect the HoS/RS campaign system will allow the integration of custom maps into the overall structure so that if we give you a scenario from Iwo Jima-Day 3 on hill X or sandlot Y, the community can do a whole range of things within the same battle to fill out the experience.

Upvote 0
If they were to do Singapore and the Dutch East Indies, Bruma and New guinea then they would have to add the British and Australians, which they already announced they were not going to do.
I would like to see this. I think they just want to stick to the more well known American battles.

I would like to see.
Bloody Nose Ridge and the Umurbrogol Ridges.
deathvalley-peleliu.jpg

USMC-M-Peleliu-p173.jpg

images

It's going to be hard to pull off an Island hopping campaign when there will be no beach landings.

Upvote 0
I would like to see.
Bloody Nose Ridge and the Umurbrogol Ridges.

It's going to be hard to pull off an Island hopping campaign when there will be no beach landings.

You mentioned Bloody Nose Ridge and the Umurbrogol Ridges. These started at D-Day +2. So two days after the beach landing. Which answers your last line. I agree to hop on an island you need to land on a beach. But lots of battles took place days after the initial landing.

I can reflect this on a Normandy campaign. The battles after june 6 1944 where at least as brutal as Omaha beach.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh yes I agree completely, there is still infinite amounts of combat scenarios available for you to make. Each island had it's strong points and natural barriers as did every ridge and valley, I would assume that this mod would be the most varried in terms of map design and combat out the all the mods produced the TWI.
I'm really looking forward to this, maybe even more so then RO:HoS.

Upvote 0