• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wave column in the server browser

Azukki

Grizzled Veteran
  • Jul 7, 2009
    There should be a wave column in the server browser for conveniently seeing what wave a server is at, and what length of game the server plays
    0/10 would be a long game that's still in the lobby, 8/7 would be a regular game that's already fighting pat, 1/4 would be a short game in the first wave, etc.

It's a bother, always joining games that are nearly over, or occasionally joining short game servers.

Here's a mock-up of what I would like to see. It doesn't exactly demonstrate photoshop skills, or accurately represent the servers shown, but it illustrates the idea well enough.
    wavecolumnmockup.png

Edit on 10/24/2013:
    Well, how about that...

Last edited:
    Reactions: robdude19
    mixed feelings about this. I agree it should be there, but I am thinking you may find alot more lower lvl players joining suicidal in late waves for the acheivment.

If there was a late entry requirement to be lvl 6 I would be cool with it. I think that IF a low level endured the game from the beginning, he has earned the right to the acheivment, but late entries should be max levels and not switch. Im thinking at wave 8 this would take place that ppl who come in cannot play low lvls. They will have to play their high level or at least make an option for a level requirement for your server and what wave you want it to start.

Upvote 0
    Personally, I think that before TW adds a wave counter, they should fix the rest of the server browser.

I've continually found myself joining Hard and Suicidal servers that have missed the filter.

I haven't had that happen once, and I've played enough to get my perks legit leveled up to 6/6/6/6/5/4. More time than I should have spent :p

I (like many others I'm sure) thought this would be nice a long time ago. Kudos for suggesting the idea and taking the time to present it well. It wouldn't be hard to do and would be very convenient. Sure you might get some people joining late to get achievements, but generally I would rather join early (wave 1 ideally) so I can get my money and guns from the beginning. It's tough to join late and have to survive with one gun and no armor, unless your team has enough money to give you.

After this is implemented, playtesting would determine if servers should be allowed to block players from joining late (wave 7+) or having the option to require minimum perk levels etc. so they don't burden the team who has been playing for a while.

I'd also love to see an extra column which shows either the number of zeds remaining in the wave or the time remaining until the next wave starts, so I know which server will get me in the sh*t the soonest.

NOTE: Until then, notice how the server browser shows you the players in the game as well as their scores. If they all have low scores, you know it's an early wave, high score = late wave etc. At least this gives you a rough idea.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    To everyone bringing up achievements, you can NOT get map/difficulty completion achievements unless you are there for the whole entire game.

All day today, I have been trying to get the achievement for normal farm long. Whenever I join a server already playing, I don't get the achievement. Whenever I join a server not at farm and farm is selected for the next map, I load too slow, others start asap after they load, and I can't play the map from the beginning, and I don't get the achievement. It should only require that you start [first spawn] at wave 2 or something.

So, people joining late into a game to get an achievement would not at all be an issue, because they wouldn't get an achievement. It wouldn't have been a significant issue anyways, though.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    To everyone bringing up achievements, you can NOT get map/difficulty completion achievements unless you are there for the whole entire game.

Wrong. You can get it simply by sitting in spec, unless theyve fixed that bug but as far as I know they havent.

But a big YES to the wave counter tab, we can only hope they would include such thing in the next update but I doubt.

Upvote 0
    Wrong. You can get it simply by sitting in spec, unless theyve fixed that bug but as far as I know they havent.

But a big YES to the wave counter tab, we can only hope they would include such thing in the next update but I doubt.

^ this is correct and would be the only issue i could see with adding a "current wave" tab.....people joining at the last wave to farm map achievements. it's really quite a simple fix though, TW just needs to tweak the system so that you can't get credit for a map achievement unless you've played a minimum amount of waves, say at least 50% of the waves.

Upvote 0
    it is a good idea, although you can already sort of guess what wave the team is on just based by their scores.
    Now i have my own system of counting points and waves, but its really inaccurate. Pretty much if its one person with 1000ish points (and the rest are like 100 something or whatever) its about wave 4-5, two people with 600ish points is also wave 4-5. And you kinda just build from there, something to look out for if they don't add the wave count :D

Upvote 0