• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Whats up with M14

Except that EVERYONE does it. M14 has horrible iron sights so nobody uses it, they just spam the weapon randomly with lasersight on, because it has relatively big clipsize, fast rate of fire and MASSIVE DAMAGE.

this is true, the iron sights are awful, they cover way to much of the screen up. i sometimes use the SCAR on SS just for extra headshot damage
that and i love the SCAR's red dot sight

Upvote 0
Me too! God, the handcannon is just so good.

It Is! Its awesome for headshots and when one finds themselves in a sticky situation, they can let rip and own everything in the immediate area. Only one real problem, really small clip, but if you have a higher level perk, reloading is pretty fast. I also use dual HC's when i play medic and i need a sticky sistuation backup weapon, man those thing kick ***. having said that, when you dual wield as a SS, any sort of accuracy goes out the window.

Upvote 0
Except that EVERYONE does it. M14 has horrible iron sights so nobody uses it

They're not exactly that glamorous (especially compared to some other weapons in the game) but far from being horrible. Or maybe it's just a side effect of playing too many realistic games in the past several years that I've adapted to use almost anything given a brief practice as if I use M14 it's either hipshooting without laser or plain old ironsights at any further distance. But yes, that is an exception and not the rule.

Upvote 0
It Is! Its awesome for headshots and when one finds themselves in a sticky situation, they can let rip and own everything in the immediate area. Only one real problem, really small clip, but if you have a higher level perk, reloading is pretty fast. I also use dual HC's when i play medic and i need a sticky sistuation backup weapon, man those thing kick ***. having said that, when you dual wield as a SS, any sort of accuracy goes out the window.

Hah! That's exactly what I do! Use a single handcannon when I'm a sharpy, and dualies when I'm a medic!

Also, this may just be my imagination, but I swear if two weak enemies are lined up, (like clots), because of the penetration on the handcannon, you can headshot them both in one bullet. Have you ever noticed that? I haven't actually tested it or specifically tried to do it, but it I'm certain I've seen it happen a bunch of times.

Upvote 0
Hah! That's exactly what I do! Use a single handcannon when I'm a sharpy, and dualies when I'm a medic!

Also, this may just be my imagination, but I swear if two weak enemies are lined up, (like clots), because of the penetration on the handcannon, you can headshot them both in one bullet. Have you ever noticed that? I haven't actually tested it or specifically tried to do it, but it I'm certain I've seen it happen a bunch of times.

YES! They defiantely do, i've noticed it many times.
Clots
Stalkers and Crawlers
Gorefasts maybe, if you close enough
I also love the way it can take the head off a Husk
Its like, ah damn, a husk, problem solved!

Upvote 0
M14 doesn't have horrible iron-sights, I can almost always one-shot bloats and husks from across the map.
The only drawback of M14 iron-sights is that you are much less aware of your immediate surroundings unlike with SCAR.

Do you seriously have any idea how ignorant you're making yourself look?

Its nigh impossible to actively use the M14 instead of your 2 backup weapons (9mm and DHC/LAR) without accidently starting to spam it. To drop Scrakes with no risk of damage, shoot it once with the LAR and stun it, then empty the M14 into it till it dies, which assuming you hit headshots isn't long. To deal with Husks, shoot it once with the LAR to stun it (if theres no time to aim) then empty the M14 into it.
It has absolutely dreadful iron sights, they fill too much of the screen and obscure your view of the damn target too. If i want to headshot something across the map i'll use my LAR.
Everything about the M14 encourages you to spam because you have to go way over the top to actually run out of ammo.

Upvote 0
The M14's overall characteristics are more appropriate for a Commando weapon than a Sharpshooter weapon.

-Fires easily from the hip
-Large magazine size with plenty of total ammo
-Kills all weaker Zeds with ease, body or headshot
-Iron sights that penalize you for using them
-Light weapon weight for weapon flexibility

Upvote 0
So...

Give M14 to commando, reduce its spare ammo capacity by a third, make it so that the commando's recoil reduction doesn't affect the M14, and I think it would be balanced - especially with no additional headshot damage bonus from the perk.

Then give the sharpshooter a nice powerful bolt-action with a scope (L115A3, it's British!) so he can do his job.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So...

Give M14 to commando, reduce its spare ammo capacity by a third, make it so that the commando's recoil reduction doesn't affect the M14, and I think it would be balanced - especially with no additional headshot damage bonus from the perk.

Then give the sharpshooter a nice powerful bolt-action with a scope (L115A3, it's British!) so he can do his job.
Hey, you are think what i am thinking too! *Shake hand*

Upvote 0
Do you know how much bullets you need to down scrakes and fleshpounds using M14 IF you aim for the head?

on 6 man suicidal, as a lvl 6 ss, 5 HS by M14 takes down a scrake. yes 5. no need for people to make sure thery have 20 bullets in their mag and unload it into him, just aim at the head and click your mouse 5 times.

im not sure about fleshpounds.

Upvote 0
So...

No way, I don't want the EBR fouling up my Commando weaponry.

Upvote 0
on 6 man suicidal, as a lvl 6 ss, 5 HS by M14 takes down a scrake. yes 5. no need for people to make sure thery have 20 bullets in their mag and unload it into him, just aim at the head and click your mouse 5 times.

im not sure about fleshpounds.

I'm sure it was on hard, but 2 shots from the M14 kills a scrake if you headshot it. This was during a test run i did on the M14 to see if it sucks as much as everyone (including me) says it does.

Turns out it can take down scrakes easily, as well as everything else, but it fails against the fleshpounds. This is where your LAR comes in.

Upvote 0
I'm sure it was on hard, but 2 shots from the M14 kills a scrake if you headshot it. This was during a test run i did on the M14 to see if it sucks as much as everyone (including me) says it does.

Turns out it can take down scrakes easily, as well as everything else, but it fails against the fleshpounds. This is where your LAR comes in.

i don't remember the last time i played on hard, and if i did, it was with beserker. i have done it multiple times, on suicidal, with 6 ppl, and 5 m14 shots to the head of a scrake kills it.

Upvote 0

On 3 man suicidal it can 7 shot a fleshpound if i remember correctly, headshots of course, havnt tested with more players or i just cant remember

Upvote 0