• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Really Deus Ex looked not a bit better in its time. Certainly seems good enough for me. I agree it has more Blade Runner / high tech compared to the "sequel", though. Especially the helicopter comes to mind (compare that spaceship-thing to Jock's rather ordinary looking stealth copter) but it's no biggie for me as I am a huge fan of Blade Runner.

If the allusions in the trailer (Rembrandt, Icarus) make it into the actual game it might become a worthy prequel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Typical trailer, doesn't show one bit of game play or in game graphics.
:rolleyes: How is it typical? It's a high-budget CGI trailer there to create interest, they aren't going to start off showing gameplay right away(though there have been presentations as the link above shows and we'll see them at E3 I suppose).

And of course it won't be 1:1 like the original Deus Ex because if that was the case it would suck as a 2010 game. Times change and with it certain game elements. When I started gaming the idea of automatically recharging health probably didn't even exist yet, but I adapted and this is seriously the least issue there could be. From the informations gathered in that preview I'm very positive because it seems like there's still emphasis on the RPG part, many different gameplay options, a world with an awesome sci-fi atmosphere, etc.

Sure one must be careful not to completely fall for the hype which this trailer might have created, but already saying the game or certain features are bad is even more naive.

Upvote 0
Ugh--autoregenerating health.

I know it's an aug that probably everyone picks, but don't you think JC Denton would've had it if his predecessor did?

That's a pox on gaming that should be illegal.

My favorite game of all time had health regen. (The excessive overkill mod for UT). But then again, in that game you could shoot rockets at your feet and launch yourself over a football field.

But it's not for every game; the gameplay in EO sort of demanded it.

Upvote 0
The farther they get away from Deus Ex combat the better, imo.:eek:

I think he meant that he wants combat to be more stealthy like in Thief or Splinter Cell rather than over-the-top action like RB6:Vegas or Crysis.

Health regeneration is a bad omen, I hope they will realize what an error that would be for this game.

Also, trailers don't always have to show gameplay. The trailer generates a lot of interest and does in fact hint at a few gameplay elements, see this video.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure one must be careful not to completely fall for the hype which this trailer might have created, but already saying the game or certain features are bad is even more naive.

After having witnessed the atrocity that was Invisible War, i think we'll much rather employ the "Guantanamo bay" method of game anticipation, IE, assume it's **** untill it can prove itself otherwise.

As for the trailer, it reminded me of a lot of things, Bladerunner, The 5'th Element, Crysis, and parts of it even had me thinking of Bioshock, Serious Sam and Star Wars (the prequal trilogy, unfortunately).

But none of it reminded me of Deus Ex..

Upvote 0
Well, what they've shown so far in the trailer does fit in with the Deus Ex universe imo. It's the gameplay bits they've shown in the screenshots that is the problem...

Also, it's a bit weird that the setting is only 17 years into the future. The world in 2027 will look nearly identical to today's world. Guess we have to pretend it's more like 3027. :eek:

EDIT: does anyone know a good graphics update mod for Deus Ex?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think he meant that he wants combat to be more stealthy like in Thief or Splinter Cell rather than over-the-top action like RB6:Vegas or Crysis.

That is indeed what I meant, thank you Nimsky.

And I agree with Grobut, the trailer doesn't say Deus Ex to me - it looks like it's trying too hard to be other well known sci-fi instead.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Also, it's a bit weird that the setting is only 17 years into the future. The world in 2027 will look nearly identical to today's world. Guess we have to pretend it's more like 3027. :eek:

that cracked me up when i was watching the trailer, im like ok its only 17 years into the future and we now have flying cars and all this other technology?! NO WAY.

Upvote 0
I don't know too much about the Deus Ex world, but in fiction there is always the possibility that the timeline is different than the Earth history we are so familiar with. Perhaps the technological breakthroughs that occurred in the 90s for us happened in the early 1970s in Deus Ex, leaving a lot of space until the 2020s.

Upvote 0
I don't know too much about the Deus Ex world, but in fiction there is always the possibility that the timeline is different than the Earth history we are so familiar with. Perhaps the technological breakthroughs that occurred in the 90s for us happened in the early 1970s in Deus Ex, leaving a lot of space until the 2020s.

Next thing they is they have rolled up sleeves ... haha never!

Upvote 0

But how do you tie it in with the origional game? that's the problem..

Deus-Ex had a very different style to it, the whole world looked very much like it does today, just more run-down, and you could see more modern tech was retrofitted to old infrastructure, and i'd say that was it's defining feature, it made a belivable not-too distant future, one in which new tech was employed, ofcourse, but that didn't mean they had the resources to tear down all of New-York city and build a new future-cool city in its place, which probable woulden't happen in the real world either, and the new tech itself looked like something that could be the next step up from our current tech, it was advanced, but never so advanced that it seemed terribly Sci-Fi.
Infact Deus-Ex deliberately held back on the Sci-Fi, they could have given scientists HEV style suits, but they gave them labcoats, they could have added flying cars, but they had helicopters, they could have made advanced synththetic muscle style robotics, but robots where clunky and mechanical, they definately wanted to keep things relatable, something that we could imagine our current tech becomming in a few decades.

But this new Deus-Ex is very different, it's very cyberpunk-renisance, very.. Bladerunner meets The 5'th Element, the tech looks a 100 or more years ahead of Deus-Ex, but it's supposed to happen in Deus-Ex's past, the two do not look connected at all..

Upvote 0