• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing floor freezes/skips

Satansof2

Jun 3, 2010
Hello, i have been getting these freezes/skips where it would happen randomly (sometimes 5 minutes and then the next one would be 30mins into the game) and the game would freeze and then after a couple of minutes it would sometimes continues but it would have weird texture's, and my ui would be screwed up, and sometimes it will completely freeze my computer and i have to restart. the next time it happens (which i know it will) i will take a screenshot of what it looks like...

my computer specs are:
AMD athlon 7750 2.8ghz dual core
4gb (3.5gb recognized by windows XP home 32bit) ram 800mghz
wd 750gb 7200rpm sata (secondary)
wd 160gb 7200rpm sata (main)
PNY 9800 GT 1gb energy efficient PCI express X16

i already tryed defraging both of my drives and validated the file integrity of killing floor and defragmented the files through steam.

i am going to try the opengl render again through the killingfloor.ini which seemed to have fixed it temporarly, but i havent had time to play alot lately.

PS i have updated Directx and even had to repair my windows to make sure none of the directx files where corrupted.... so i dont know what it is...

UPDATE!!! 06-10-2010

ok i have tryed doing this:
turning precache on and off.
changing the cache size (size for ram)
tryed Directx 8 and 9
tryed downloading the files from yoshiro and replaced my files with them.....
tryed defragmenting both the hard drive and just my game files
i have tryed all of the hang map options (i forgot which ones...)

so far the only thing that seems to help is making the render OpenGL and even then i get a freeze every once in awhile....

also, i dont know if this will help or not, but everything in the background (like Ventrilo, Teamspeak, and MSN) run fine with no problems (every once in awhile it will effect them and i have to either restart or throw my computer into hibernate so it will stop the process for killing floor)

Last edited:
i just tryed windowed mode, and it still does it... it freezes the whole computer and then continues.. its not the video card because the temps are fine.... and ive tryed older video card.... so any other suggestions (opengl actually works)

PS also tryed older drivers (the other video card i tryed was another 9800 gt 512mb)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
already tryed disdeframentation by mydefrag program.... on both my system disc and my extra hard drive

PS. i also tryed all of those including the opengl one, the opengl works, but it wont let me use my Crossbow scope, which i do not like, and this "randomly" started happening after i updated the KF or started after directx update (cant remember all i remember is that it still worked after i put my new card in for a month or 2 and then it started...)

i tryed the precache and i dont think it worked but ill try it again...

Edit: So far what little playing i did after the disabling the cache is it started to do small skipps but wouldnt really freeze... ill do more testing tomorrow when i have more time

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you're tech savy enough could you try opening up your case (when the computer is off). And check how much dust there is around heatsincs and use some canned air to spray things dustfree.

Something in your system is simple becoming instable and that's usually a heat issue. It could be processor,vidcard, memory or the mainboard pretty much. So perhaps try some benchmarks, usually its the video card. (remember that a videocard got memory that can overheat as well the temperature sensor is only in the actual gpu core, and not behind the gpu core on the back or on the memory bits.

Another thing you could try to do is cleaning some of the drivers and reinstalling the latest for your comp parts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well i did do that, and there was hardly no dust, even on the processor heatsink and fan where there is usually alot, there wasnt any... i went ahead and blew out anything i seen and nothin

i dont know a good vid card tester, but i can try to test my proc and i did a memtest not to long ago and it all passed, i had to do it awhile back due to windows 7 giveing me a stop error finding out it was mostly my old vid card (my old one was a nvidia 8600 GTS)

Upvote 0
Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2715 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: GeForce 9800 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

Assertion failed: SwapBuffers( hDC ) [File:.\OpenGLRenderDevice.cpp] [Line: 1415]

History: UOpenGLRenderDevice::present <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-Manor <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

thats the error i got this morning, i had to hibernate my computer to stop it from doing the random freezes

Upvote 0
ok i messaged the company of the video card to make sure i dont have to send it back or it wasnt going bad on me, and this is what they sent me back as a reply....

Hello

Thank you for contacting PNY Technical Support.

This card runs hot more that 8600 gt for sure and 80 C is about normal temp. for
the card, please try to change / update this game setting and see how it goes.

I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be
happy to assist you further.

Thanks,

Tamer
1-800-234-4597
PNY Technical Support
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:25 PM
To: Technical
Subject: Temp.'s about my PNY Geforce 9800GT 1gb EE

i have been having problems with games randomly freezeing and i have pinpointed
it to my video card, it seems to run perfectly fine on some games but when it is
related to strictly Directx games (a certain few) will freeze and have skips and
i would have to restart my computer and get windows error logs saying it was a
stop error/video card driver.

i think it might be the temps my card is running at, my previous nvidia Geforce
8600 GTS would run at max under load at 60c, this one seems to run at 54c
idleing and would get 80c on loads, i was wondering if getting 80c on loads with
this card is a bad thing or should it not be getting that high?

s/n: ***************

Thanks, Greg/Satan

(didnt know if you needed the S/N or not, so i included it anyways)

Upvote 0