• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Put a scope on the Winchester

if im not mistaken, the LAR has the second highest headshot multiplier (2.0) in the game. this makes it a head popping beast even for non-ss players. in my opinion, the LAR is a zerkers best secondary weapon.

this is the first ive heard that someone didn't like the sights on the lar. if they bother u too much, try the HC. its not as dmg heavy as the LAR but has lots of ammo and a fast fire rate.

oh and i love the M1 w/Bayonette idea. THAT would be a zerkers best friend. lol
that would make it second along with every other weapon excepting the crossbow.

all weapons have 2x headshot mult iinm.

I use exclusively the handcannon already, far more useful than the LAR, and the ironsight is much less annoying.

Precision isn't an issue here, it's ease of use. all ironsights in the game are 100% accurate anyway (except for the EBR, which sucks), and if you know what you're doing with dualies, it's almost as easy to clock headshots with those as it is with the LAR ironsights, and given the higher DPS and MUCH faster reloading with dual handcannons, it makes the LAR obsolete.

The ring thing seriously hampers your field of vision and is distracting and annoying to boot, makes it harder to use than the pistol ironsight IMO, though at least it's better than the EBR (EBR needs a reflex sight, but that's a topic for another thread...)

LAR needs either a real scope, or no sights at all.

Whole point of a low-power scope is to improve accuracy without lowering FoV, which, IMO, is what the LAR needs to begin with. SS perk lacks a real scoped rifle, and giving one to the LAR would fill that void while improving weapon balance for the perk.

And yes, people have been mounting scopes on those Winchesters forever. If it's good enough for hunters, it should be perfectly reasonable to expect to see them in the hands of sharpshooters.

Upvote 0
I believe all guns except Crossbow, LAR and M14 have 1.1x multiplier for headshot, only LAR and M14 have 2x.

Most people actually agree that single handcannon iron sight is much worse than LAR iron sight, you're basically forced to cover the bottom half of your screen if you try to aim with it. LAR iron sight covers much less of the screen, and the actual aim point is behind a very thin needle of a front sight, which means it's that much easier to place targets behind it. I hate the handcannon sight so much I actually find myself hitting more using dual handcannon 'iron sight' than single.

The ring thing at the front of the LAR is a hood for the front sight, it protects it so it doesn't snag on things when you're out hunting. It's one of the well known and loved features for Winchester LAR in real life. Personally I've never found the hood to be annoying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe all guns except Crossbow, LAR and M14 have 1.1x multiplier for headshot, only LAR and M14 have 2x.

Except for the crossbow which has a 6X multiplier... the LAR is one of the best guns in the game in the hands of a skilled sharphooter. I myself use that gun until the very end, especially when confronted with many ZEDs that are threats but do not require the M14 (as with the FP and the Scrake). If the gun were to get a scope, then make the scoped rifle a separate gun which would also be a compliment to the starting sharpshooter's arsenal.

Upvote 0
Except for the crossbow which has a 6X multiplier... the LAR is one of the best guns in the game in the hands of a skilled sharphooter. I myself use that gun until the very end, especially when confronted with many ZEDs that are threats but do not require the M14 (as with the FP and the Scrake). If the gun were to get a scope, then make the scoped rifle a separate gun which would also be a compliment to the starting sharpshooter's arsenal.

Crossbow is 4x, it's only 6x with SS lvl 6.
and headshots with weaps like 9mm do way more than 1.1x damage. Just try it with a commando watching the healthbars and you'll see what I mean.

Upvote 0
Yeah. As far as I know, crits are very random. The only way you'd see a crit happening is if you were a commando, and suddenly a big chunk of health disappears from one shot.

By crit I mean critical headshot. If you score a headshot and it takes away more than a certain percentage of a specimen's remaining health, it does something like 6x damage and removes the specimen's head.

This is why as a commando, playing on normal, it takes 4 body shots to kill a clot with the bullpup, but only one headshot.

It also takes 7-8 body shots to kill a gorefast, but will remove the head with one shot (but doesn't quite kill it, leaving just enough health to put it down in one more shot)

This is why one-hit-kills appear to happen so easily with the xbow, even in the hands of a non-SS. It's not the damage multiplier of the xbow (though this helps), it's because you're removing the head.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought it was because the tough ones (like Sirens) can only be decapitated once their health drops below a certain level. If that can be done with one shot then the head is removed, if not they have to be damaged a bit first.
I could be wrong though as this isn't based on knowledge of code but solely on my experience with the game and I don't play it seriously that often.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
here's the sights on my winchester '94 (30-30 carbine):

GEDC0020.jpg

GEDC0019.jpg

Upvote 0
I thought it was because the tough ones (like Sirens) can only be decapitated once their health drops below a certain level. If that can be done with one shot then the head is removed, if not they have to be damaged a bit first.
I could be wrong though as this isn't based on knowledge of code but solely on my experience with the game and I don't play it seriously that often.

I think it has more to do with the percentage of their health you're taking with one shot... as for sirens, I think their headshot hitboxes are messed up, because it's very rare that I ever see one decapitated, even by a lvl 6 SS. It's far easier to one-hit a scrake or FP than a siren, unless you're playing on a difficulty where one body shot will do it.

Upvote 0
Oh okay, it's a ghost ring, that's odd. Are there even any Winchesters with ghost rings like that?
Ghost ring or not though you need a rear sight for the front sight to be of any use. Can't just cut the ring off.

The losing chunk of HP thing is not because of crits or anything like that. Specimen have two sets of HP - head HP and total HP. Hitting them in the head reduces both head HP and total HP while hitting them in the body only reduces total HP.

If you cause the head HP to drop to zero, then a decapitation happens. Decapitation instantly reduces a big chunk of the remaining total HP of a specimen (killing it right then in a lot of some cases) and starts the bleeding out process.

Siren and Scrake have a special attribute called "hard head" which means they cannot be decapitated even if their head HP is on zero unless their total HP is below 10%. 10% is low enough that any decaptation at this point will instantly kill them, so you'll never see headless Siren or Scrake walking around.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for clearing this up, Temstar.

If you cause the head HP to drop to zero
Is there a weapon that doesn't do enough damage in one hit to do this but is at least theoretically capable of removing heads (i.e. everything but the flamethrower, I guess)?
What I'm asking is, are head HP ever important in the game or is a headshot more like a binary thing.

Upvote 0
In certain cases yeah Murphy. Combination of difficulty vs. perk level...the 9mm doesn't do enough damage without sharpshooter on suicidal to decap clots in one shot. So it's relevant...except not most of the time when almost everyone sticks with their perk selected weapon...that's better than a 9mm.

But things like non-SS using the LAR to kill Husks on suicidal, you notice the head hp come into play there.

On topic....no. Although I'm *all* about getting rid of the ring. Looks cool, but is distracting in the end.

Upvote 0