• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The ArmA 2 thread (hurr hurr, no Armed Assault 2)

So is there nothing one can do? Great game then.

There's still enough of other smaller missions to play, or custom campaigns even.
But anyways i don't see it as something illogical. It's a sandbox game, that means you can add as much crap as you want. Logically, that will take up more and more CPU power untill finally your pc can't handle it anymore.
Just try it out, place just yourself in the editor on FOB Manhattan's location, click preview and walk around. Notice the smooth FPS.
Now add several squads of AI walking around through waypoints, FPS will go down a bit, and so on and so on.
If you add scripts, the game will have even more to keep track of, etc etc.
There is a lot going on under the hood that requires the most of your pc, not so much graphically.
It's the same for me too. I stopped playing the main campaign because of bad FPS. There are a lot of missions i can still play very well, but just now i stopped playing a custom mission that was so heavy on AI i got 12 fps at the most.
It doesnt bother me though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Runs pretty well on my E8400, 8800gt 3go ram, XP, 22".

Everything on normal, shadows & blood on high, PP on low.

I have noticed that if you push your machine a little too far in the options (over estimating Vram), ArmAII will bring it to its knees.

I will admit that the SP campaign is very demanding.

Upvote 0
Arma 2 performance is directly tied to CPU power, the GPU really isn't important at all. You need a good quad core to run it properly, end of story.

My system is pretty much double the recommended requirements in every area except CPU, I only have an E6600. This bottlenecks me so badly that I can barely run the game on low-med settings. As soon as there is a bit of battle and AI running about performance just crashes and burns.

That said the engine is a lot better than it's Arma 1 version, someone on the Arma boards ported over Sahrani island (as in the whole Arma 1 island) to the new engine. It's pretty amazing because this same island that you load in Arma 1 and runs like crap actually runs like silk when you load it through the Arma 2 engine, even on high settings. My guess is this is because it handles vegetation layers in a much superior fashion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With a group of people you know it can be one of the most amazing co-op experiences you could have.
With public players, especially on Domination or Evolution maps, usually not so much. These players usually arent on any type of TS or Vent, so coordination between players is weak and consequently most will wander off and do their own thing.

If you are trying public, i'd be on the lookout for serves with regular missions, these are usually more focussed and because of that more people will play together. At least this is in my limited experience playing in public, because right now i only play it with TDNL members.

Upvote 0