• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Beefing" up firebug perk

Canister Compression - Increase ammo capacity by 25%
Active Pressure Nozzle - Increase range by 25%
White Phosphorus Napalm - Increase burn time by 50%
Thickened Pyrophoric Napalm - Increase damage by 25%
Carbonite Reload clips - Decrease reload time by 25%
White Polymer Additive - Flames become nearly invisible for enhanced visibility
Canister Ejection Module - Adds an alt-fire mode, which launches out a canister and explodes. Uses an entire canister and the power of the explosion depends on the canister's ammo amount
etc. add your own ideas!

Those sound fairly reasonable. ...But then other people will start complaining that they want upgrades to their classes, and that'll probably cause a ****storm to go down.

Except for the last one. Seems like it wastes too much ammo and/or sounds too much like Demo. Massive amounts of flames also obscure visibility.

Upvote 0
The first problem imo is that the fire doesn't act as you'd expect. For example, if you shoot the flamethrower on the floor BEFORE a zed, the fire stays there for a second or so but it doesn't light the zed on fire - it'll walk through it unscathed. This is quite disorienting since it's difficult to tell if the zed is lit up or not when he's walking through the fire. It'd be nice if this issue was fixed so that either the zed gets lit on fire or if "missing" with the flamethrower doesn't leave a burning residue.

The next problem is the strange-acting recoil. When looking down the "iron sights" of the flamethrower, sometimes you'll get a really sharp recoil while most of the time, there is nothing. I have no idea if this is supposed to be realistic or if it's just glitchy but no other class has to suffer from this problem. The firebug's damage isn't high enough to warrant this unpredictable recoil.

Third - once you reach level 3 or whatever, you become immune to fire. If you light up a zed who is close to you, you also get lit on fire but take no damage. Yet there is still an obscuring fire animation played on you for a few seconds. Fairly annoying and I see no reason for it - you aren't taking damage so why the visual feedback?

Being an avid Firebug fan, its hard not to be biased, but... :)

1) Generally I dont find this a problem, occassioanlly I will miss a specimen by a hair and not immediately realise they aren't on fire, but thats just me not paying full attention and only really happens when I'm being lazy. I say that because if you hit the zed in the feet the flames climb up him and set his entire frame on fire.

Its usually quite easy to spot, the only time it creates a problem is when you have to cut down something with alot of health that moves quick like a gorefast or scrake. Since your shots hand in the air a second after hitting the ZED a killing blow will momentarily restrict your view, so a n gorefast/stalker or something following in is momentarily obscured from vision. This however can be avoided by the firebug merely keeping a good eye on the incoming ZEDs, kinda like the medic does when he's preparing to heal.

2) Yeah you shouldn't ever need ADS on the flamethrower. Like the shotgun, shooting in the general direction of your target is far more efficient. Recoil is a pain, but it does help stop you from spraying, so it in a way actually helps you.

3) Because you are actually on fire. Level 3 you will only take light armour damage when on fire and minimal health loss without, level 4 you will take very little damage without armour and no damage to either when on fire with armour. Level 5-6 you are totally immune. Thats the advantage getting to level 5, you aren't set on fire any longer, and can see everything effortlessly ;)

Upvote 0