• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New start menu

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Ok, I'm getting bored as hell of the KF startup screen and the music as of now.

I was thinking that I'd like to see a more animated menu background, with a mini-intro or something.

Is this at all possible to make in a mod? :confused:

Release my curiosity, if I do, remember I will to thank mind of yours.

Last edited:
Awesome. I'm looking at the SDK for KF right now, looks like I'm getting the hang of it.

Yeah, I see what you mean with the map bit. I was playing a LAN game once, and we found the tripwire logo in the map rotation. and you guessed it, we loaded it up, and sat around with the tripwire logo. Didn't find one for the startup menu, though. :(

Upvote 0
I shall explain how the menu works:
When the menu loads it plays the scene manager which views an interpolation point facing a view target in front of the "slide show" box, it then loads the AI script which tells the game to load the class KFGui.KFMainMenu which contains all the features which links the menu tabs and classes together thus resulting in the menu you see. BTW if you open the main menu via console command while in game the reason why you do not see the menu is because the scene manager will only do an "upon map load activation" if the game is set to KFMod.KFCinematicGame. Well I hope you understand what I just wrote because I am not makin a summary of it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honestly, I think Tripwire needs to remake the Killing Floor 2.5 menu, it was badass. I even made this video to show how lame the retail menu is compared to it YouTube - Killing Floor Menu Comparison

that menu you posted isnt 2.5, its the menu from 2.0-2.1

2.5's menu is a lab.

the menu you posted is from 2.51 the community patch, they switched it back to the 2.0 menu. ive ported that menu to retail but it seems that there is a lock because it will only show the retail menu.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WTF thats not the KF 2.5 menu thats the KF 2.0/2.11 menu! Oh lemme guess u used that shty community bonus KF2.51 patch instead of the real one released by Marco? Oh well it actually looks nicer than the KF retail menu if you ask me. Oh and Dex I red ur post, the rsn y it doesn't show the KF 2.5 menu buttons and stuff is because it is based off of the class called KFMainMenu.uc located in KFGui.u, therefore you will have to modify the retail menu buttons to look like the ones from 2.5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WTF thats not the KF 2.5 menu thats the KF 2.0/2.11 menu! Oh lemme guess u used that shty community bonus KF2.51 patch instead of the real one released by Marco? Oh well it actually looks nicer than the KF retail menu if you ask me.

i think anything looks nicer than the quick 5 second retail menu we have. the shty community 2.51 patch by MiA haha, you said it man, Raj was a total exploiter back in the mod, and now hes making a 2.51 patch that fixes nothing, but makes the game easier by allowing you to carry damn near everything, the 9mm is like a machinegun now, they took out some of the recoil, they made the walk speed quicker, etc etc, its like, wtf? i ask why and they say, "its to make KF mod more fast paced", the mod doesnt need to be fast paced, we already have fast paced KF: retail! WEAK patch if i ever saw one!!

Oh and Dex I red ur post, the rsn y it doesn't show the KF 2.5 menu buttons and stuff is because it is based off of the class called KFMainMenu.uc located in KFGui.u, therefore you will have to modify the retail menu buttons to look like the ones from 2.5.

dude, i have no idea about that stuff but we really need to get the 2.0 menu back! i have it all ported and replaced the menu.rom with it. and when i load KF, the retail menu shows, but if i go into console, and type map kf-menu or whatever, it will show the mod menu but thats it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cant you just... like... replace the KF-Menu map with another map? Or edit the KF-Menu map in the SDK and create your own background?

I have done that, but didnt end too well

Shot00037-1.jpg

Upvote 0