• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Interested in Heroes of Stalingrad, not in Steam!

Lethn

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 22, 2010
Hey guys, I've been following this game awhile now and I wanted to say I'm really looking forward to this game the first person cover system especially interests me because I've been getting sick lately of the FPS' that just have you as a stupid camera with a gun attached to the side.

One thing that really bothers me though, is this game going to be released on steam? After getting ripped off twice because of the horrible support and patching for two games ( AVP3 and Supreme Commander 2 ) I don't want to be forced to purchase games from steam anymore only to be made to play beta version of the full games.

Will you be offering alternatives? I'm not saying GFWL ( Oh please don't give me GFWL instead because that's even worse ) but Bohemia Interactive did an awesome thing where they actually removed the DRM they had off Arma 2 and to me it doesn't seem to have affected them at all.

In the voodoo extreme preview:
With the success of Killing Floor, they find themselves in a position where the Heroes of Stalingrad's budget isn't necessarily drying up at a set date, so they have the time to create the full experience that they want to unleash on the world.

So it looks like they definitely do not wan't to put out a broken game and fix it on the go (or worse never fix it), but instead want to bring out a fully polished experience. TWI is not owned by a big publisher breathing down their necks, so they decide when it's the time to release the game.

Steam is a pretty good platform, and without it TWI as a company couldn't exist. So the chance of them leaving steam at this point is pretty small.

Steam is purely a distribution platform, they have nothing to do with the state of games at release. Which most of the time isn't even the fault of the developers (many devs in general are perfectionist) but rather the fault of the publishing companies the developers work for.

Upvote 0
Its the problem of AvP or Supreme Commander. Such big companies doesnt care of customers and not all release patches for steam. TWI does. They released great updates for Killing Floor, bring mods from RO to steam platform which is nice.

Anyway AFAIK Tripwire is going to stay as a friend with steam, so HoS will require Steam. Im worrying about retail release. Im hope i could get BOX version from local store in same day as ditital release hits to steam store.

Upvote 0
The game will make full use of steamworks, like a Valve title and will be tied to steam. Even the retail builds.

Like RO: Ost and KF, both of these games use the Steam Master server for multiplayer as Tripwire does not host it's own (which believe it or not is a huge expense, and Steamworks master server is free).

Upvote 0
Steam is not DRM, the system is not invasive and has a lot of useful features. It also provides small dev teams like TWI to advertise and release their products without much cost (and that maybe not with other companies, but so far, with TWI, it's been reflected in the lower prices of their games)

Your problems with AvP3 or Sup Com (I have AvP3 and I agree that the customer support sucks) Are not a problem caused by Steam. Each company is in control of how much they will support their games...

If you are worried about buggy games/half finished products without support, just don't worry, Red Orchestra and Killing Floor have been proof of the awesome support from TWI, and Steam had never been a barrier for it, quite the opposite, actually

Last edited:
Upvote 0
don't take my signature seriously, it's just satirically poking fun at Steam for some of the times you get annoyed by it, BUT Steam is really quite good. I've never had any real issues with steam or at least something that i could not fix after a quick browse in the forums. like others said, it sounds like your problems were issues with the individual games and not Steam. TW is a great company has proven to their costumers that they will produce and support a quality game.

unless of course you get VAC banned or you do something to get your steam account closed.....cause then that's a b!tch for you...so just don't do illegal stuff and you should be ok :D

Upvote 0
My opinion : I'm satisfied of steam...
I have never met real problems since I'm client.

I know we have sometimes some updates problems unfortunately...
but fast corrected.

Utillisation is simple, clear and practical for me, my family and my friends.

A beautiful and interesting evolution for the next month by integrating possibilities for mac!

I think Steam in still have a very good future...

I'm satisfied too, Steam is good: it auto-update the games and hosts servers. Simply amazing. :D

The game will make full use of steamworks, like a Valve title and will be tied to steam. Even the retail builds.

Like RO and KF, both of these games use the Steam Master server for multiplayer as Tripwire does not host it's own (which believe it or not is a huge expense, and Steamworks master server is free).

Nice.

Upvote 0

Like RO and KF, both of these games use the Steam Master server for multiplayer as Tripwire does not host it's own (which believe it or not is a huge expense, and Steamworks master server is free).

I prefer it that way.

As I understand it Steam is a very efficient digital distro medium for you guys and gives you a large royalty cut. It's UI is simple and very effective for communication (plus VOIP) and in-game invites....often the only way I manage to efficiently populate servers through Steam's IM/invite ability.

Compare this to retail....ugh. Retail is a nightmare for games, they upcharge everything, take a huge cut from the developers/publishers, and it's impossible to find any obscure titles past out a few weeks. I had to search hard for a retail copy of Ost.

I don't necessarily like the DRM aspect and the fact that it runs a client 24/7 in the background...

But the fact that you can run any mod straight through the client with full Steam overlay, plus Steam hosts free DLC and sometimes even mods on their servers is seriously a good reason to support them. I think they are by far the best platform in the business and by supporting them you are supporting PC gaming as well as a good place for Indie devs to sell their wares.

Upvote 0