• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rolling grenades and throw back grenades...

Remember, if a grenade is in your face and you're prone, it will still take a few seconds to pick it up, stand up, and throw it.
In which time it will most likely go off anyways.

Which is why when you see a grenade, you seek cover, and don't try to play catch with it.

Your "argument" is not valid.

First: you dont have to stand up to throw a nade back!

Second: if the nade lands directly in front of your face, you cant seek cover! Standing up and going into cover would take longer than the nade to explode!

Third: If the nade is in front of me and in reach, taking it and throw it away from me takes maybe a second - good chance it does not explode and I survive.

But anyway: trying to throw it back is MUCH MORE realistic than just looking at it till it explode. Right?! :D
(I am just talking about if it lands directly in front of your face when you are prone.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm really unsure about if I want it in or not...but if it does get put in, you should not be able to aim the grenade; your soldier should just pick it up and toss it in the general direction you are looking. IMO a soldier in this situation would be more concerned with getting the grenade away from himself than how far/where exactly it lands. That way there won't be many grenades returning through windows, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bobdog - Throwing back a grenade shouldn't be automated. I don't want to take the risk to throw a grenade back just to kill my teammates. That being said, I think any soldier who picks up a live grenade is going to aim and aim quickly, not so they can kill an enemy soldier or two, but so they can toss the grenade out a window, around a corner, down a manhole, etc. The fact that it could explode at any second means that the player probably isn't going to hold onto it longer than they absolutely have to. And if they do, then the grenade will take care of that problem ;)

Upvote 0
Just as long as the grenade blows up in about 4 seconds after the saftey lever is released and has a lethal blast radius of about 15 yds (13m), I don't care what you can do with it.

If it lands in front of your face, chances are you're dead. However, if you pick it up, toss it and it explodes in the air, more than likely you will not only kill yourself but also get some teammates killed who were otherwise behind cover. Won't you be Mr. Popular then...:cool:

Upvote 0
Gaston, my problem with allowing the player to aim is that they will eventually become very accurate with them. Take hipshooting in Ostfront, for example. There are quite a few people who can accurately hipshoot people with an SMG at range, even with all the freeaim there is. I'm worried that people will eventually get good enough at aiming their grenade throw in a split second that they are able to place it exactly where they want it. It'd be really lame to toss a grenade through a window, just to have it sail back through at you 70% of the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm really unsure about if I want it in or not...but if it does get put in, you should not be able to aim the grenade; your soldier should just pick it up and toss it in the general direction you are looking. IMO a soldier in this situation would be more concerned with getting the grenade away from himself than how far/where exactly it lands. That way there won't be many grenades returning through windows, etc.

Great idea and I'm all for this. I'd like a single flowing motion of you picking it up and quickly throwing it back depending on where ever your screen is faced. Like you said in the previous post the problem with this throwback is that people might become too good at it and this would take the realism away from the panic of the grenade and wanting to get rid of it as soon as possible

Upvote 0
Gaston, my problem with allowing the player to aim is that they will eventually become very accurate with them. Take hipshooting in Ostfront, for example. There are quite a few people who can accurately hipshoot people with an SMG at range, even with all the freeaim there is. I'm worried that people will eventually get good enough at aiming their grenade throw in a split second that they are able to place it exactly where they want it. It'd be really lame to toss a grenade through a window, just to have it sail back through at you 70% of the time.

In the case of hipshooting a lot of it comes due to that you can recenter your point of impact to the center of your screen.

Upvote 0
Yes, you can throw a grenade back. Just like you can throw your rifle at an enemy. Doesn't mean it makes sense to put it in a game.

Remember, if a grenade is in your face and you're prone, it will still take a few seconds to pick it up, stand up, and throw it.

In which time it will most likely go off anyways.

Which is why when you see a grenade, you seek cover, and don't try to play catch with it.

Still I'm the opinion that you should be given the chance to pick it up. Like I said before you should be given the ability. If you don't want to use it you don't. If you want to you use it you do.

Your "argument" is not valid.

Second: if the nade lands directly in front of your face, you cant seek cover! Standing up and going into cover would take longer than the nade to explode!

Third: If the nade is in front of me and in reach, taking it and throw it away from me takes maybe a second - good chance it does not explode and I survive.

But anyway: trying to throw it back is MUCH MORE realistic than just looking at it till it explode. Right?! :D
(I am just talking about if it lands directly in front of your face when you are prone.)

Yep exactly. It would take quite long to get up and run away (to a safe distance). Running away makes no sense when the grenade is blocking the way out of a room, cause it landed in the doorway and will kill you anyway. In real life you'd give it darn try to get the ****ing thing away from you, as it's the only chance to survive.

Upvote 0
Just as long as the grenade blows up in about 4 seconds after the saftey lever is released and has a lethal blast radius of about 15 yds (13m), I don't care what you can do with it.

If it lands in front of your face, chances are you're dead.

I was just waiting for someone to bring up this wrong argument. :D
Real Life nade have a blast radius of ~13m but ingame nade just have a blastradius of about 4-5m?!

So throwing it out of range is possible. Even when throwing it prone.

Upvote 0

So throw your nades in last moment, not right after release a trigger.

Hipshooting isn't bad thing. It tells about your game knowledge and skill but its also lucky shot sometimes. It isnt cheat/exploit, it is something what anybody can learn.

EDIT:

btw throwing back greanades. Remember not everyone has cold blood and is able to grab enemy nade and throw it.

Sometimes it looks like that

a9s7xw.gif

;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it would be ridiculous NOT to include the ability to throw nades away when they land in front of you... Sounds like people are worried about their nade spamming being countered a bit... just cook ur nade for a few secs, I always do when needed and it serves me well. And hip shooting an smg = bad? I'm sure a soldier with a bit of experience would become at the very least an OKAY hip shot with an SMG... I can hip shoot a rifle with good accuracy and I'm not a soldier.

Upvote 0

Hipshooting isn't bad thing. It tells about your game knowledge and skill but its also lucky shot sometimes. It isnt cheat/exploit, it is something what anybody can learn.

EDIT:

btw throwing back greanades. Remember not everyone has cold blood and is able to grab enemy nade and throw it.

Sometimes it looks like that

a9s7xw.gif

;)

SUPER LOL at that gif! haahahaaa

Upvote 0
Just going to give my 2 cents,

I think that the nade throw back animation should be underhand if prone, or in most cases under hand when crouching or standing up aswell because in my opinion I don't think anyone would take the time to throw it at range unless they really knew that they could. I think that they would simply grab the nade and underhand toss it ; in a hole, through a doorway, behind a wall,.....

Upvote 0

Won't go very far, and will most likely still kill you if you did manage to throw it away.

The time it would take to grab it would make doing so almost pointless.

I can't be like Crysis - where your arm shoots out and instantly and accurately picks up an object.

It just can't be done in a game very realistically yet. In the end, it will be far too easy to do, and further kill the realistic feel of the game.

In game, it will become a common occurrence to throw grenades back.

That, with blind fire going to be used over so over the top (unless it has drastically changed from the alpha video), would just kill RO and make it into CoD: With One Shot Kill Weapons.

Maybe its best if HoS never gets released, because you all seem to want to take the RO series down the same path that Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon took.
If you don't want to use it you don't. If you want to you use it you do.

We might as well add in the Super Nazi Perk - where you can run around and hip fire the MG42 for 30 seconds without need for reloading. Don't like it, don't use it.

Sums up your logic right there. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Won't go very far, and will most likely still kill you if you did manage to throw it away.

The time it would take to grab it would make doing so almost pointless.

I can't be like Crysis - where your arm shoots out and instantly and accurately picks up an object.

It just can't be done in a game very realistically yet. In the end, it will be far too easy to do, and further kill the realistic feel of the game.

In game, it will become a common occurrence to throw grenades back.

That, with blind fire going to be used over so over the top (unless it has drastically changed from the alpha video), would just kill RO and make it into CoD: With One Shot Kill Weapons.

Maybe its best if HoS never gets released, because you all seem to want to take the RO series down the same path that Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon took.

We might as well add in the Super Nazi Perk - where you can run around and hip fire the MG42 for 30 seconds without need for reloading. Don't like it, don't use it.

Sums up your logic right there. ;)

Jesus, you seem to be in a bad mood. :eek: You start to sound like your just afraid of it, that your nade might change its mind and come back to you instead.
About the arm reaching straight out, ehm are you touching the area around it before you can pick something up?

But now to stop this non-sense talk a bit, both for you and for me.
We all loved RO as a mod, as Ostfront came out we saw the progress in it. Ostfront is different from the mod. Now HoS is in development and it will be different from Ostfront, which is nothing bad at all. To change the game we (the community) are developing ideas in our brains to make it different from HoS. We're displaying the things we're annoyed of in Ostfront and other things no game has ever shown so far.
If advance and progress is evil we better should refuse TWI the victory of 2005's Unreal Contest and we all would be still playing RO Combined Arms.

Upvote 0

First, I'm not against hipshooting; I was just using it as an example of something hard that players have become experts at.

Second, saying "cook your nades" isn't a solution. That's like telling someone "play better" when they are losing because the teams are unbalanced. It might help, but it ignores the root of the problem.

Anyway, if everyone cooked their grenades in the first place, there'd be no opportunity to throw grenades back, so the feature would be unneeded. And that just brings us back to the situation where a player is attempting to throw an uncooked grenade away. The player should not have the ability to throw a grenade away with pinpoint accuracy in a fraction of a second. Maybe it doesn't have to be automatic, maybe there could be some built in "cone fire" or something so the grenade has a semi-random trajectory. I'm just worried that if people get good at it, it will ruin the gameplay experience.

....I just advocated "cone fire" in a suggestion for RO! What's this world coming to?! D:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[...

] The player should not have the ability to throw a grenade away with pinpoint accuracy in a fraction of a second. Maybe it doesn't have to be automatic, maybe there could be some built in "cone fire" or something so the grenade has a semi-random trajectory.[...]

....I just advocated "cone fire" in a suggestion for RO! What's this world coming to?! D:

how about just add free aim to nades as well, and remove the left hand off the screen so you don't have a clue where to aim for pinpoint accurate nading :eek: --> but inacurate nading be it your way or mine ("nade-cone-fire" or "free-aim-nade") would leed to teamnadespam ...
ayy3s4wa3cta.jpg

and btw.
this makes me think we gonna have a thownade-button since the guys in the screen is holding his smg and a nade at the same time..

Upvote 0
The left hand is quite of usage, as I bought myself a Stielgranate 24 which was defused, in order to know how far it can be thrown I can tell it first helps with acceleration of the nade as you're balancing the right arms swing with it and secondly it's good use for aiming. So it shouldn't be removed.

Still I'm up for the free aim for grenades.
If you managed to pick up a life grenade it should behave exactly the same as a grenade in your hands from which you just removed the pin. Of course it will explode much more early, but the animation and such should be the same.

Upvote 0