• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper Scoping/unscoping

Bashenka

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Seattle
Something that's always bothered me (albeit only slightly) was that when scoping in to a target, you are forced into the x4 zoom (or however big it is), and the only way to get out of it is to unshoulder your weapon to get a normal FOV.

When you zoom in, you are closing your left eye (if looking down the scope with your right), and you enter the ultra zoom that the sniper provides.

What I'd like to see would to have the option to press a button to switch between which eye is open: the left or the right. For example your right eye is scoping down a target while your left is closed shut, but you're worried that you don't have enough FOV to see what's going on around you, so you press a button to close your right eye (which was scoping a target) and open your left, which brings the FOV back to normal. Hopefully this would be a faster way for a sniper to get a view of his targets, rather than scoping, then unscoping to see better, then scoping back which is time consuming. Also the modelling could be really cool if when you open your left eye, you are looking directly from the edge of the sniper scope, and you have the whole sniper rifle in the foreground.

Hopefully this makes sense the way I wrote it...

Yeah I personally avoid the high quality scope model or texture because of how much surrounding area they block out.

Try switching to the regular model scope setting. I use this all the time and seems positioned better for how I use a scope in real life compared to how much surrounding area I can view.

In game I still have a good view of my target with the scope, but I also have enough view around it to see if anybody is coming at me from outside of scope view. I just lower my rifle a wee bit, like I would in real life, but it'd still be straight and pretty well ready for use when I need it, just as in real life, and I use my real eyes and my real head on my shoulders to focus on what I want to in the game (Scope or Surrounding area) rather then playing around with left eye or right eye in-game.

I also found the high quality scope to be a little more odd to try and target things.... I can't quite put my finger on it, but the regular modeled scope seems more accurate for me.

Upvote 0
Yeah it'd be nice to be able to look under the scope to use the irons, or look through the scope mounts.

Actually I remember that being brought up in the old forums (Being able to use the iron sights on the scoped rifle)

Never did follow up to see how that panned out, but obviously it was never done.... just never knew why.

Could be easily implemented in the game too, just use the mouse wheel like you do with the tank/vehicle views.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
just use the mouse wheel like you do with the tank/vehicle views.

The mouse wheel is already by default changing weapon. It could be thesame as the firemode button on the stg, panzerfaust and mg34. As bolt action rifles don't have any usage for the firemode button anyway.

However do not underestimate that things that are easy to execute for a player and make a minor difference do not have to be easy to implement and code in the game as the complete functionality doesnt exist by default.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO uses 3D sights as opposed to the standard 2D drawn on scope most FPS use.

In this way RO is kind of innovative in how it treats scopes. In RO Ost you get the peripheral vision and you also get the scope. Bing bang boom, you get both. Quit whining.

In RO2 you'll get free aim which means you can move the 3D scope out of the way so you can see without it.

I don't see how this is an issue or why the developers should care. Seems to costly/tricky to implement to me.

Upvote 0
The mouse wheel is already by default changing weapon. It could be thesame as the firemode button on the stg, panzerfaust and mg34. As bolt action rifles don't have any usage for the firemode button anyway.

However do not underestimate that things that are easy to execute for a player and make a minor difference do not have to be easy to implement and code in the game as the complete functionality doesnt exist by default.

Well yes the wheel mouse does switch weapons by default, as I use it all the time myself, but if the wheel mouse can be used in the vehicles for changing view, I don't see why the same process could not be applied to having IS mode on in scope view. I believe there are currently a few stances/weapons that you can't just switch to another weapon because of being mounted or whatever.... be allowed to switch weapons as normal in any other view like it currently is, but once you're iron sights are up (scope mode) for sniper, allow for a wheel up/down to change views.

But the alt-fire mode button for STG would work just as well.

Of course nobody is going to know how easy it's going to be to do this except the developers of the game who know all the in's and outs of the game.... but based on the already given knowns of Ostfront and how the wheel mouse has been used for various things in the game, I don't think it'd be that big of a stretch to do this. Besides, I don't think when you have your scope up, that you should be able to easily switch to another weapon. Like an MG or PTRD, they should be unmounted before you can switch to another weapon.

Whatever method is used, I'm sure if most people wanted this in the game, it could be done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0