• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

crouch-clinging override

Murphy

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
When your character is crouched you can't fall off ledges. This can be used to get as close to an edge as possible or to move along a ledge without any danger of falling down. So far so good.
But if your character is forced to crouch (e.g. because he's in a low vent-shaft) he can't drop down either as the crouching keeps him from falling down! So he is forever stuck in the vent for no reason at all.

I realize this is not a problem in most maps, but when it does occur it's irritating.

Here is my suggestion: Can we make holding the jump-key override this ledge-clinging behavior? The natural intuition, at least for me, is to hit jump when I get stuck somewhere. Naturally, in environments that are so low that your character is forced to keep crouching he can't jump, but it's what I do intuitively anyways. I think it would be good if this would actually help then and allow me to drop down.

I can't see how this would get anyone in trouble or hamper someone's possibilities of movement so it would be nice if this could be implemented sometime down the road.

There was a big push to have this function removed entirely a long time ago (I'm not sure but you were likely part of it) and removing the edge hugging entirely might be a good idea. There have been many maps that are broken by the ability to skirt along aesthetic feature on walls to reach broken areas. I say just remove the ability entirely since it is both easier to do that messing with an override and help game integrity in the process.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of the clinging. It's great if i'm on a desk aiming down my scope and makes sure i don't fall off like an idiot.

Although I've had to come up with complicated blockers in the past to ensure that no-one can use the cling feature to abuse my maps.

I like the idea about having a volume that cancels the default cling which could be added over the vent where you are expected to fall. This would give more control to the mapper rather than the player.

Upvote 0