• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-Wretched

dextronaut

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Pacific Northwest
KF-Wretched by =Z.E.D=dextronaut

here is the final of the first map ever for KF retail to use only textures, sounds, and static meshes from KF mod 1.0.

http://www.filefront.com/15456613/KF-Wretched.rar

Shot00046.png

Shot00047.png

Shot00048.png

Shot00049.png

Shot00050.png

Shot00011.png

Shot00012.png

I have to admit, you are one the most skilled map makers that I have ever known! GJ :D

thanks man :p been wanting to do a 1.0 style map for a long time. its difficult at first because you only have so much to work with, but after you study alex's 1.0 maps enough, you can see how creative he is with such limited stuff to work with.

im starting on another 1.0 style map, using stuff from west london mostly but im planning on doing something different. heres the first part done, looks very west london but the rest of the map is going to be more different like STALKER kind of style.

kf-noname.png

Upvote 0
thanks man :p been wanting to do a 1.0 style map for a long time. its difficult at first because you only have so much to work with, but after you study alex's 1.0 maps enough, you can see how creative he is with such limited stuff to work with.

im starting on another 1.0 style map, using stuff from west london mostly but im planning on doing something different. heres the first part done, looks very west london but the rest of the map is going to be more different like STALKER kind of style.

kf-noname.png

I-is-is-isn't th-tha-that... That lo-looks like KF 1.0 singleplayer campaign!

Upvote 0
I-is-is-isn't th-tha-that... That lo-looks like KF 1.0 singleplayer campaign!

yup. i do that kinda stuff so mod vets like you, nath, etc, will recognize it and say hey i remember that. also i like that it gets ppl interested in the mod, they see this stuff and say, "wow kf mod is pretty cool, i want to play it".. ill post more screenshots as i work on the map.

Upvote 0
I only got to play one round on this map, so I didn't get to really explore, but I noticed that the flashlight is very dim. Why are some maps this way, and some aren't? I'm not sure how that works from a mapping standpoint, but I dislike it very much.

No trader model in the sewers. I never played 1.0, so I don't know if that's how it was supposed to be, just seeking clarification.

Upvote 0
I only got to play one round on this map, so I didn't get to really explore, but I noticed that the flashlight is very dim. Why are some maps this way, and some aren't? I'm not sure how that works from a mapping standpoint, but I dislike it very much.

No trader model in the sewers. I never played 1.0, so I don't know if that's how it was supposed to be, just seeking clarification.

honestly the flashlight needs a bit more work because it doesnt act well when youre outside (it needs a surface to bounce off of) but when youre inside the bldg it works fine.. also, this is unreal engine so it can react pretty badly to surfaces: BSP, static meshes, terrain, certain textures, etc.. anyways, yeah i know what youre talking about, it is really dim when youre outside unless you point it at the ground. i dislike it also.

i used the "trader" from 1.0, the weapons locker. in 1.0 you would have these lockers scattered throughout the maps and you would run over and buy from them at any time (zombies would get you if you didnt have someone watching your back). sadly i couldnt recreate this because im no good in coding so whatever. so instead i just put the locker in the traders room. it has a 3 way kinda effect:

1. you learn kf history.

2. mod vets get all nostalgiac and weepy :p

3. it keeps with the 1.0 theme of the map.

PS: for new mappers, you dont need to have the physical trader in the trader room, the physical trader is just to remind ppl what they are doing XD

PPS: i like to type.

Upvote 0
very creepy, good layout, good aktion.

two cosmetic issues:

outside some grassbundles are not on the terrain.

the traderstyle is not my thing. i understand what u aming at but in kf there are some conventions regarding the trader. the texture of the door and the female trader inside behind some kind of counter. u bended this convetion in ur other maps by using the 2.5 trader and i could accept this but the locker goes to far for my taste. i know in kf 1.0 there was this locker and u could acesses it all the time wich was a great feature. the new kf player cant understand a highcontext like this.

Upvote 0
the traderstyle is not my thing. i understand what u aming at but in kf there are some conventions regarding the trader. the texture of the door and the female trader inside behind some kind of counter. u bended this convetion in ur other maps by using the 2.5 trader and i could accept this but the locker goes to far for my taste. i know in kf 1.0 there was this locker and u could acesses it all the time wich was a great feature. the new kf player cant understand a highcontext like this.

thank you for playing it and your opinions :D

1. the trader door looks really out of place, doesnt look natural. so ive decided to quit using it because it looks really odd, so now i use a normal looking door that blends in the map.

2. if a new kf player cant understand that they need to trade in there because they dont see the counter or another human in there, then they need a brain transplant. its a room with a locker, you go in and press E, i dont know how that could upset anyone lol.

i know the conventions of the trader but if i am going to spend this much time on this map, i should be able to do whatever i want to the traders room. i hope you understand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I remember KF 1.0 like it was yesterday.*Sniff*
I remeber the tactical 9mm that had a flashlight, I remeber the trader was this gun locker that would open, I remember the singleplayer campaign! I remember hiding in the church in westlondon, I remember when it was first released! I remember everyone from the forums! Although I never signed up for it I still went on! I remember RoBoT, KiCk3R, Alex, Slappy Cromwell, everyone! I remember that super long story of this man that gets rescued by the DRF! But you know what I remember the most? I remember how scary and awesome it was! You know what, I think I'm going to play it right now! :D

Upvote 0