• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

Isn't the M16A2 the most heaviest of the M16 variants?

It's funny I think I find the 91/30 so light as it is light compared to the Enfields which are what I shoot mostly.

I'd suspect it is the heaviest ... it's got the carry handle, it's got the brass deflector and some other reinforcements on the receiver ... the stock is longer than the A1 stock, marginally ...

But yeah, Enfields are a beast and a half. My M48 feels heavier than my 91/30's, too, and it's not nearly as pleasant to shoot.

Upvote 0
Sad NEWs

Sad NEWs

Well I was at a local pawn shop and found two new rifles. I would have only bought one but the other was $50 so I did.

Here is the first. It's a 1941 VKT M39. It has 100% blue, a new looking bore, a wartime stock with a maker's mark still on it, and an antique receiver.

41VKT.jpg

The second was a New England Westinghouse M91...originally. It has an excellent bore, original blue, and no import marks. Unfortunately, Bubba decided a beautiful, original, US made M91 was just too long. So he cut it down. I figure for $50 I'll have a decent shooter.

new15.jpg

Here is a blurry pic of the markings.
new.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Think of getting a Spanish Mauser in 7.62x51. Its $250 total. Anyone know anything about them? Can they take .308?

Is the price right?

Are these any good?

attachment.php

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=45990&d=1266100399

Can't see the details, not going to bother signing up for a calguns account ... but anyway ... the military Mauser actions are marginal for a 7.62 NATO round. I'm not saying that it's unsafe - I own and shoot an Israeli Kar98k - but make sure that it's in good shape when you buy it.

Oh, and one more thing: do NOT, repeat N-O-T!!!! for any reason, under any circumstances whatsoever, use .308 Winchester in that gun. EVER.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All right, if no .308 then that is probably a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the info!

Aside from mil surplus, are there any good bolt action rifles that are around $300 with decent iron sights?

I didn't say don't get it. I just said don't shoot .308.

And actually, let me modify that a little bit: commercially loaded .308 averages about 60,000 psi or so, maybe a little bit higher. If you reload ammo, you can use the (relatively) inexpensive and easy to acquire .308 supplies. The difference in the case is truly minimal - something like 3 or 4 thou in the shoulders. Just reload to a lower pressure. 40-45,000 psi, and you can shoot it all day long.

You'll have a hard time finding any good bolt rifle bigger than a .22 with iron sights anymore, unless you go up into the safari-grade rifles, and those are a little outside your price range.

I'd take a look at, perhaps, a Howa 1500. It's a little over your price range, but it's good. You might be able to find some iron sights for it - it's the same rifle as a Weatherby Vanguard. (Howa makes them for Weatherby.) Guaranteed sub-MOA out of the box, they even include a certification target shot with that rifle in the shipping box. I'm thinking about getting one myself at some point. Of course, I've got a lot of things on the list ahead of that ... new 1911 ... SVD ... Saiga-12 ... etc.

Anyway. Yeah.

BTW, where did you get an A1 stock? I need one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bought it off of Calguns. It is a Cav Arms, they sell them for $35 online.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/C1.html

How about the Israeli Mausers, will they take .308 or are those to only for 7.62x51?

The Israeli Mausers are still 7.62. Not recommended for anything over 50,000 psi chamber pressure. To boot, most of them are in pretty rough condition. Most of the ones that came to the US, anyway ... mine got beat to hell somewhere along the line. Shoots great, though.

Oh, I've seen the Cav Arms stocks online ... how are they? Good quality?

Upvote 0
Its an A1 stock, not much to mess up.

I got mine used, and it works great, and feels solid. No wiggle.

However, the butt plate (term?) does not fit the actual stock that well. There is a bit of "overlap". Nothing that will break the function though.

For what it is worth, my older DPMS A2 stock had the same issue with the butt plate.

The inside of the stock/trap door is empty, my DPMS A2 had some white lining, which made the stock a lot heavier.

But aside from that, it is a solid stock. I asked some people online before I bought it, and they all said that the Cav arms stock worked great.

For $35, it gets the job done.

Upvote 0
LMFAO this is great, Cannot believe this thread is still here. Cudo's to all who cried about seeing a round in the chamber. Gotta love GonzoX! Remember weapon saftey starts with U, not some guy on a forum.. To bad I didn't shoot myself in the wee wee. I like the fact I was called a kid and that it was ignorant to post. Guess you've never been robbed in ur nice suburban home away from real life and crime. :D

Upvote 0